2020 Big 12 Championship Game Computer Projection

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
I just checked out MRed standings generator, and if you just go by who is favored in conference games the rest of the way. ISU, OSU, and OU would all finish tied at 7-2. KSU and Texas would finish tied for fourth at 6-3.

I believe in that scenario all three teams would still be tied after the first two tiebreakers are used. Leaving it up to tiebreaker number 3, which is scoring differential between the tied teams. OU and OSU have yet to play, but Iowa State is plus 4 right now after playing both OU and OSU. Plus 4 is a pretty good spot, because let's just say OU beats OSU by 3. OSU would have a differential of 0 and OU would be -4. In that case OU would be eliminated. ISU/OSU would play in the CCG.

Crazy if it came to that.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Here's the problem for Texas. It's easy to show up when you want to show up. It's why the best teams always get everyone's best shot because everyone wants to be the "one" to take down the top dog. Texas has to learn to want to show up for every moment of every game. That culture will not come with Herman.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I just checked out MRed standings generator, and if you just go by who is favored in conference games the rest of the way. ISU, OSU, and OU would all finish tied at 7-2. KSU and Texas would finish tied for fourth at 6-3.

I believe in that scenario all three teams would still be tied after the first two tiebreakers are used. Leaving it up to tiebreaker number 3, which is scoring differential between the tied teams. OU and OSU have yet to play, but Iowa State is plus 4 right now after playing both OU and OSU. Plus 4 is a pretty good spot, because let's just say OU beats OSU by 3. OSU would have a differential of 0 and OU would be -4. In that case OU would be eliminated. ISU/OSU would play in the CCG.

Tells you how big that touchdown at the end of the Oklahoma State game was possibly

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
@Dale Can you run the scenario where we win the three home games and lose at Texas (and if you have time the other three 3-1 finish scenarios as well)?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Here's the problem for Texas. It's easy to show up when you want to show up. It's why the best teams always get everyone's best shot because everyone wants to be the "one" to take down the top dog. Texas has to learn to want to show up for every moment of every game. That culture will not come with Herman.
I agree and I think Texas will continue to find themselves in 1 score games probably every game from here on out. They won’t win out

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It was 94 something before Texas beat Ok St so didn’t drop that much...only thing I can come up with is there are still a lot of games to be played
Guess I just don’t see it. It’s saying essentially that if UT beats ISU that UT is almost a lock to lose at least one vs WVU, KSU and KU.

I guess I understand the difficulty in predicting UT. They are basically two plays either way from being 6-0 or 2-4.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Can do:

7-3, losing to Texas: 88.0%
7-3, losing to Kansas State: 94.5%
7-3, losing to West Virginia: 97.4%
7-3, losing to Baylor: 100.0%

wow those are some good looking probabilities

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009

I have no idea how it works, but if that is how the scoring differential is calculated, then ISU will be ahead of at least one of the other two teams. That is a zero sum approach so if ISU is positive then one of the teams has to be negative.

Dale

Mar 5, 2010
Chicagoland
Guess I just don’t see it. It’s saying essentially that if UT beats ISU that UT is almost a lock to lose at least one vs WVU, KSU and KU.

Not a near-lock, but Massey gives a 2-in-3 chance that Texas loses one of those three games, despite being favored in all of them.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

I believe in that scenario all three teams would still be tied after the first two tiebreakers are used.

The KSU/UT tie gets broken before they go down the list of comparing opponents, so that result is still a factor.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Not a near-lock, but Massey gives a 2-in-3 chance that Texas loses one of those three games, despite being favored in all of them.
Which is crazy because they will probably be dbl digit favorites in all 3 games

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I have no idea how it works, but if that is how the scoring differential is calculated, then ISU will be ahead of at least one of the other two teams. That is a zero sum approach so if ISU is positive then one of the teams has to be negative.
Yes.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
In general here's what we cheer for:

1) ISU wins out (obviously)
2) OU, OSU and UT to keep taking losses (especially OSU and UT)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
@Dale

What are our odds under these three cases...

W KSU, L Texas
L KSU, W Texas
L and L

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It feels like the championship game will be between your Clones and OU.

oSu should boat-race K-State tomorrow if the Cats don't get healthy quick. But then the Pokes have to beat OU in Norman - unlikely.

And Texas will have to corral a hive of bees when WVU visits and then finish in winter at Manhattan. They won't win both.

Last edited:

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
It feels like the championship game will be between your Clones and OU.

oSu should boat-race K-State tomorrow if the Cats don't get healthy quick. But then the Pokes have to beat OU in Norman - unlikely.

And Texas will have to corral a hive of bees when WVU visits and then finish in winter at Manhattan. They won't win both.
You are correct. OU owns OSU/Gundy.

Texas wins both.

KSU goes 0-3 in their remaining big games, and I’ll agree it’s in part because of injury.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Don't know what this means but during the TX vs WVU game it was noted ISU has a 14.8% chance to win the conference. Does that sound right?