AP Top 25 Poll

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Iowa State shouldn't be rated right now. We beat a pretty meh Iowa team and that is it. It's totally cool. Win this week and things will change.

Only about 20 teams have a “ranking worthy” win and some of them have a loss. Plenty of ranked teams don’t have a road win.

I just posted broad computer composite is 17th.

17th makes as much sense as 38th or whatever we are in others with votes.

Big 12 is going to start the season as statistically most deep conference and not sure the human voter rankings reflect that.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I think that Iowa State hasn't historically responded well to being ranked aggressively. At this point its nice to be ranked but I haven't seen anything that makes me upset that we aren't. If we beat Baylor the ranking will probably come or we will be close. Iowa might be a top defense but they haven't faced a dangerous offense yet IMO. Amazingly, I would argue that KU looks like a ranked team and has two quality wins. As a sidenote I would argue that after Oregon looked lethal this weekend, UGA may as well just move conferences to the NFC East....

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
The team can't control the rankings so it doesn't make sense to worry about it. As long as they put themselves in position to win, the rankings will take care of themselves.
Is this CMC? I totally agree with you. This is a hard attitude to follow through on. We desperately want to control what we can’t.

• Dumb
Reactions: WhoISthis

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think that Iowa State hasn't historically responded well to being ranked aggressively. At this point its nice to be ranked but I haven't seen anything that makes me upset that we aren't. If we beat Baylor the ranking will probably come or we will be close. Iowa might be a top defense but they haven't faced a dangerous offense yet IMO. Amazingly, I would argue that KU looks like a ranked team and has two quality wins. As a sidenote I would argue that after Oregon looked lethal this weekend, UGA may as well just move conferences to the NFC East....
KU had two quality wins?
TN Tech, WV, and Houston are all 1-2.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
The team can't control the rankings so it doesn't make sense to worry about it. As long as they put themselves in position to win, the rankings will take care of themselves.
Yep - I think of the Fiesta Bowl year where that team just kept churning out wins in Oct/Nov and we climbed up to #7 or somewhere like that in the cf playoff rankings.

We are about to find out a ton about this team on Saturday.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
KU had two quality wins?
TN Tech, WV, and Houston are all 1-2.
TN Tech is horsesh*t. WV's coach may not survive the season and Houston looks way over rated. I think everyone's nipples are getting hard because it's KU and a nice story. Which it is but none of those teams are any likely any good.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson and ISU_Guy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
KU seems to have a nice offense but their defense is bad and the teams they’ve played also have had bad defenses. They’re 100% heading in the right direction but we’ll see what happens when they play a team that doesn’t let them score at will.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Love how TAMU loses to App State at home, then looks underwhelming (again at home) against Miami but wins due to some Iowa State like STs play by Miami, and is ranked 20th. We shouldn't be ranked but TAMU sure as hell shouldn't be ranked.

The SEC bias in the rankings is beyond ******* insane.
This is why I am still a proponent of the first poll coming out later in the season. It is easy to rack up top 25 wins when a good part of your conference schedule is given a seat at the table without earning it. Then wins against poor but ranked teams prop up teams in the conference. Yes, the rankings don't matter, but they are hyped all season long and it props up teams and conferences in the consciousness of the entire country.

There are currently 31 undefeated teams in the country. Not all of those teams are top 25 worthy but are all 9 teams with a loss on their record appearing in the top 25 - some as high as the low teens - better than all of those undefeated teams that didn't get in the poll (and some didn't even get a vote)?

I guess I wouldn't mind the preseason poll so much if the voters would throw away their previous ballot and last week's poll results each week and would sit down and rank the resumes of each team every week. The problem is that they don't rank teams but rather move teams based on wins and losses that week. So in an early poll a team that stinks but was ranked in the top 10 is more likely to be voted 5-10 spots lower rather than being dropped from the poll. And if they then squeak out wins they continue to reside in the poll despite teams that were unranked racking up solid wins each week behind them. The problem with the polls is laziness and bias.

Reactions: Yellow Snow

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Also depth will start to become a factor.
Yep. That game in Lawrence won’t be a cakewalk though. And it may even get college Gameday if both us and them take care of business this weekend.