Best Cyclone MBB Wins Against the Jayhawks

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
2017 is for sure the best. Huge come back at their place. Oh yeah. Same for the Big 12 tournament wins on them. TBH all of them are awesome

For Hilton wins the 2 that stand out to me are the college gameday one and the game in Haliburton's freshman year where he just went off on them

Reactions: NWICY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Also I really enjoyed the “win” in AFH when Wayne was the coach. And the “win” in the famous block game. And also the “win” last year at Kansas. So many!

• Sad
Reactions: CoKane and CYCLNST8

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
2000 @KU for me.

I had a night class at ISU and I was racing home on my bike, I think riding on ice, and I ran in the door of our house just in time to see Fizer hit that killer shot. All my roommates were cheering and I just burst through the door screaming and they went even more nuts.

It was a studio class and I talked instructor into letting us turn the game on the radio and everybody was getting into the first half. On a subsequent class the instructor let me turn on the Larry Eustachy Call In Show and the whole class turned against me very violently when they got a listen of that.

It's probably my ISU "where were you at" moment.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Also I really enjoyed the “win” in AFH when Wayne was the coach. And the “win” in the famous block game. And also the “win” last year at Kansas. So many!

As much as I am getting annoyed by KSU lately...they sooooooooooo were obviously outright non-shared Big 12 champs the year Georges got called for a foul because a KU player was laying on top of him after KU choked and lost the game, among other things in that fix.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I'm young I'll admit so cant speak to the older wins, but 14/15 semifinal games was one of the best atmosphere games I have ever attended. Almost a 50/50 crowd split down the middle. Just a fantastic college basketball game.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
2000 @KU for me.

I had a night class at ISU and I was racing home on my bike, I think riding on ice, and I ran in the door of our house just in time to see Fizer hit that killer shot. All my roommates were cheering and I just burst through the door screaming and they went even more nuts.

It was a studio class and I talked instructor into letting us turn the game on the radio and everybody was getting into the first half. On a subsequent class the instructor let me turn on the Larry Eustachy Call In Show and the whole class turned against me very violently when they got a listen of that.

It's probably my ISU "where were you at" moment.
This is the one for me. I'm surprised that shot by Fizer doesn't get talked about more. It was one of the all time great game winning plays in ISU history IMO and you rarely hear people mention it. I guess it wasn't technically a buzzer beater and the game was tied, but I'm pretty sure he hit it with under 10 seconds remaining. Seems like the highlight play everyone thinks of is his dunk over Mihm, but to me that was the biggest play of his college career.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I was in Kemper for that 96 Big 8 title game...in the KU section right behind their bench. It was awful during the game but oh so glorious at the buzzer.
It was difficult watching it on TV as well.... **** Vitale had a huge hard on for Jacque Vaughn, I almost had to mute it. Thank God ISU won.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
This is the one for me. I'm surprised that shot by Fizer doesn't get talked about more. It was one of the all time great game winning plays in ISU history IMO and you rarely hear people mention it. I guess it wasn't technically a buzzer beater and the game was tied, but I'm pretty sure he hit it with under 10 seconds remaining. Seems like the highlight play everyone thinks of is his dunk over Mihm, but to me that was the biggest play of his college career.
That is absolutely right, it was an off balance turn around shot.

Go to @8:58 for the shot. Watch the rest to see one of the toughest Cyclone teams ever.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
2014 Big 12 tournament hands down. The KU fans were pissed that we overran KC before the game. After the game they scattered like roaches when the lights turn on.

• Haha
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
Home game Vs KU in 2016. Especially when Nadar got a dunk in a fast break and then Thomas stole a pass right after it and dunked

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
January 14, 1957 - Iowa State and Gary Thompson defeats the Jayhawks and Wilt Chamberlain 39-37 at the Armory. KU's only league loss that year.
I did not see it as I was born in 1963, but my father in law did.
This is the winner.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It was difficult watching it on TV as well.... **** Vitale had a huge hard on for Jacque Vaughn, I almost had to mute it. Thank God ISU won.

It must have been incredibly difficult watching Vitale announce a game he wasn't even working.

• Haha
Reactions: dahliaclone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
2005 @KU

Stinson hit the floater in OT to win it. Was great to watch.

This one sticks in my mind. If I recall correctly, Stinson scored all of ISUs points in overtime.

Another game for me would be the 2019 Big 12 championship game.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It must have been incredibly difficult watching Vitale announce a game he wasn't even working.

Good observation, although I had to check, didn't trust my memory . It was on CBS - Nantz & Packer - not ESPN.

Granted, Packer (RIP) could be a little grating at times, so maybe @cytor recollection is correct, but cited the "wrong guy." I don't have time to watch entire broadcast to find out .... Here’s a part 2 of the game.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Georges freshman year at the Phog when Ben mcclemore banked in a 3 to go to OT was one of the heartbreakers.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
2005 @KU

Stinson hit the floater in OT to win it. Was great to watch.

To this day I admit I didn't expect ISU to win that game.

It capped a 7-game win streak, after ISU opened Big 12 0-5, including a home loss to Colorado. ....

Then, following KU win, promptly lost at A&M and at home to Nebraska ... finished regular season with wins over Mizzou at home and AT Colorado (where even highest-level ISU teams struggled).

It might be the most rollercoaster-y season by any Iowa State team that got an NCAA bid.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron