Chubba Purdy

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I saw on twitter that Colorado offered Chubba Purdy (Brock's brother) a scholarship. Do you think that there is any chance we offer him?

• Informative
Reactions: MrPeske

junckerl

Feb 18, 2009
Saint Anthony
The thing is unless Brock leaves early I don't know if he wants to ride the pine waiting for him or even potentially beat out his brother as the starter. He can go somewhere else and probably play right away. His family seems to really like ISU so I think that means they have time to evaluate him against what our needs are and then if they are late to the game, they probably still have a shot.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
let's remember he still has his senior season of football left. That means that he would come into a class when Brock is a Junior. Redshirt 1 year and if Brock declares for the draft after his Junior season, Chubba would step in as a redshirt freshman with 4 years of eligibility. Or start as a redshirt sophomore after Brock graduates.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
let's remember he still has his senior season of football left. That means that he would come into a class when Brock is a Junior. Redshirt 1 year and if Brock declares for the draft after his Junior season, Chubba would step in as a redshirt freshman with 4 years of eligibility. Or start as a redshirt sophomore after Brock graduates.
Where would Re-Al Mitchell play into all of this? Or does the staff move him to another position?

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Where would Re-Al Mitchell play into all of this? Or does the staff move him to another position?

With Re-Al being now 1 class behind Purdy, I don't see him staying at QB for the cyclones. I think we will either find him a way to see the field on a consistent basis, or he will transfer. No point in waiting behind the number #1 for 3 years to get a shot at QB Junior year (If Purdy declares after his Junior year) or senior year.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Pretty sure I read somewhere that Iowa State is not recruiting him.

Is this because we don’t gave to? I mean it’s not like he isn’t around the program a bunch and knows what we are about. Obviously his family is all in for ISU. You can’t tell me if he blows up we aren’t gojng to try and snag him.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
With Re-Al being now 1 class behind Purdy, I don't see him staying at QB for the cyclones. I think we will either find him a way to see the field on a consistent basis, or he will transfer. No point in waiting behind the number #1 for 3 years to get a shot at QB Junior year (If Purdy declares after his Junior year) or senior year.

He will get on the field this year as a quarterback.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The thing is unless Brock leaves early I don't know if he wants to ride the pine waiting for him or even potentially beat out his brother as the starter. He can go somewhere else and probably play right away. His family seems to really like ISU so I think that means they have time to evaluate him against what our needs are and then if they are late to the game, they probably still have a shot.

If the kid can play near Brock's level I would hope and assume the coaches are just honest with the entire family asking them if they want them to be teammates.

I could see it either way that he'd want to be with his brother or make his own way.

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
Is this because we don’t gave to? I mean it’s not like he isn’t around the program a bunch and knows what we are about. Obviously his family is all in for ISU. You can’t tell me if he blows up we aren’t gojng to try and snag him.
You're speaking my language!

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
He will get on the field this year as a quarterback.

Ways I see Re-Al being used at QB this year.

-Purdy gets hurt (next man up)
-Special wild cat like packages
-Trick play QB

I'd personally like him to see the field a little more than that.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

We played 4 different QBs this last season (with Re-al seeing very limited time on the field in an attempted trick play situation). Brock is obviously #1 right now, but anything can happen and I would actually like the staff to play someone other than Brock at times to keep him fresh and healthy.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
We played 4 different QBs this last season (with Re-al seeing very limited time on the field in an attempted trick play situation). Brock is obviously #1 right now, but anything can happen and I would actually like the staff to play someone other than Brock at times to keep him fresh and healthy.

Did Clemson play anyone other than Trevor Lawrence after game 2? How about Oklahoma, did they play anyone other than Kyler Murray? If you have a true #1 QB, you don't play anyone else just to keep them fresh and healthy. Yeah, we played 4 QBs this past year because #1, - Kempt got hurt. #2 - Purdy was better than Noland. #3 - trick plays. Hopefully, going forward, we get to use Purdy as an every down QB. Only thing that should change that would be injury, or winning games by so much that we can afford to play someone else.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Did Clemson play anyone other than Trevor Lawrence after game 2? How about Oklahoma, did they play anyone other than Kyler Murray? If you have a true #1 QB, you don't play anyone else just to keep them fresh and healthy. Yeah, we played 4 QBs this past year because #1, - Kempt got hurt. #2 - Purdy was better than Noland. #3 - trick plays. Hopefully, going forward, we get to use Purdy as an every down QB. Only thing that should change that would be injury, or winning games by so much that we can afford to play someone else.
Mostly I agree but I think that if you have a #2 that needs experience you give him snaps at a time where the game is still in doubt in a tune up game(s) so that he has a little experience playing under fire. That can be important if you have to play him later in the season.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Mostly I agree but I think that if you have a #2 that needs experience you give him snaps at a time where the game is still in doubt in a tune up game(s) so that he has a little experience playing under fire. That can be important if you have to play him later in the season.

So you're saying that Oklahoma should have benched Baker Mayfield in "tune-up" games for Kyler Murray, to get him experience?

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron