COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Chris is right. This is about looking 10 years down the road and a whole new universe. Between this and NIL what college football is today might look way different.

The golden goose for all but the very top programs is in danger of getting killed. Interest for the others will wane and college football could turn into a regional sport like NASCAR if you’re not careful. Who cares about a minor league NFL?

last week Chris was telling us NIL was great for Iowa stste.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I actually don't think Iowa would put a fight about this.

They absolutely would. They imagine themselves and their conference on a whole different level from Iowa State and will do anything to protect that self-image. They think they are in the same sentence as Ohio State and Michigan as the blue bloods of the league and academically superior in every way. They’re wrong on every level, but narcissistic to death about it.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
They absolutely would. They imagine themselves and their conference on a whole different level from Iowa State and will do anything to protect that self-image. They think they are in the same sentence as Ohio State and Michigan as the blue bloods of the league and academically superior in every way. They’re wrong on every level, but narcissistic to death about it.
Tavernhawks have zero control over what Iowa will do. :rolleyes:

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
I think we approach A&M. They don’t want Texas to be in their confrence. Bring them back (I know it’s not ideal) and find another player, or 3. Poach the PAC and keep the brand relevant.

Also, how does NIL play out in all of this? If the SEC leaves the NCAA, what will that do to their tax liability? A feeder camp to the NFL is not a good business model - long term.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think we approach A&M. They don’t want Texas to be in their confrence. Bring them back (I know it’s not ideal) and find another player, or 3. Poach the PAC and keep the brand relevant.

Also, how does NIL play out in all of this? If the SEC leaves the NCAA, what will that do to their tax liability? A feeder camp to the NFL is not a good business model - long term.
Why would any current P5 school jump into a conference in complete and utter shambles? How could any of their leaders sell that to the respective schools governing body?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

I know things are stressful at the moment but let's not lose our minds. A&M isn't leaving the SEC.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think there will be some political pressure for UI to put up a fight. A weakened ISU is a long term detriment to the state.

It would just be another intra-conference instate rivalry.
I can’t even imagine the amount of hatred that would grow even more between us and them if we are in the same conference as ToE.

• Love
Reactions: 2020cy

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think you are taking the opinion of some fans and putting it on the institution. I mean if Big Ten is adding schools Iowa would would rather add someone like ISU than add in someone from the ACC. They already play them every year so from that aspect not a ton would change.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

They would but nobody in the Big Ten would listen. I don't think this is in the cards for ISU though. We would need strong political pressure within our state, and we have nothing but spineless cowards in the executive and legislative branches of Iowa government.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I'd like Iowa and ISU in same conference.

A&M was like Nebraska. They voted for rules that favor the wealthy programs then threw a fit when they realized Texas had more than they did.

I don't see Iowa/ISU rivalry as that petty and greedy.

I know some Iowa fans have this delusion that if they were the only program in the state they'd automatically be Alabama but most know that is total nonsense.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Politicians would force them to advocate for us. It’s a money and electability thing.

mjdivine

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2006
I agree with Chris that there’s gotta be something larger at play if this is true. Unless there’s about to be some sort of seismic shift in college football, it doesn’t make much sense for any party. OU and UT lose power and arguably brand prestige. The SEC gets a marginal increase in TV revenue. Sure, OU and UT have huge fanbases, but casual SEC viewership is already saturated. They can’t attract any more third-party eyeballs than they already do. Lastly, it doesn’t make sense for ESPN and Fox. A content reduction and one less major conference limits their negotiating power.

Not to mention, I don’t think having one super conference is good for the sport as a whole.
I'm actually wondering if ESPN is the one who is driving this. Last year I had a conversation with a client who does business with Nike, which like ESPN makes a lot of money off of college sports. Their view is they always want the blue bloods to be winning and playing each other because that's what drives sales of merchandise, because of their bigger fanbases. So I would guess that ESPN has done the math and figured that they make a lot more money through subscriptions and ad revenue if Texas and OU are playing Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, LSU, A&M, etc., rather than K State, ISU, OSU, Baylor, etc. Then they can get those smaller schools relegated to a G5 conference and pay them a relative pittance for their TV rights.