COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I think our "floor" is something like a "Super-American" conference.

Which minds you bites pretty hard, but it isn't the MAC.

But still a disaster.
Yeah, I'm not spending time and money on an ISU program that's in the MAC...and I'm not alone. ISU athletics is dead w/o P5/P4 status. There is no relegation, only death. That said, I'm optimistic about our prospects at this moment...

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I have no idea why Iowa would put up a fight about that.

A. It would simplify scheduling greatly for both teams, they’d play Thanksgiving Friday. **** Nebraska. And have a free non con slot for a top intersectional game every year.

B. Unlike with Mizzoo and A&M regarding OU and UT, we’re already on the schedule, and they’re arrogant enough to think they’d beat us most of the time anyway.

Great points. As an aside, I think our new regional recruiting strategies would translate very well for both basketball and football.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Politicians would force them to advocate for us. It’s a money and electability thing.

The politicians that care about sports are Iowa fans and their voters don't care about ISU. I suppose the Governor could try to lobby on ISU's behalf, but I think she's looking at bigger role in politics.

OK State is going to be the school that inevitably saves/kills the Big 12. The OK legislature could raise a stink that makes OU stay or they work out a solution to keep OK State fans/voters appeased.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
I personally think the floor is a new look Pac 16. They have a lot of motivation to add midwestern schools to get into the central time zone. You add Kansas State, ISU, OSU, and Texas Tech you have guaranteed 11:00 am central time zone kickoff/tip off slots every week. They would literally have 12 hours worth of football time slots every weekend.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Yeah, I don't either, and even if they did have reservations, I think the pressure coming to them from above would be more than enough to decide the issue.
As stressful as this is, imagine the Fuskers if ISU joins the BIG...knocked another notch down on the peeking order and even less recruiting leverage. I can picture Nebby wanting KU long before ISU...

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The politicians that care about sports are Iowa fans and their voters don't care about ISU. I suppose the Governor could try to lobby on ISU's behalf, but I think she's looking at bigger role in politics.

OK State is going to be the school that inevitably saves/kills the Big 12. The OK legislature could raise a stink that makes OU stay or they work out a solution to keep OK State fans/voters appeased.
That’s just flat out not true on every level. Voters from both parties span both fanbases. The actual politicians that matter are Reynolds and Whitver who are both Iowa State people. That’s all aside from the fact that Iowa State not getting into something would be devastating financially for the state.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I personally think the floor is a new look Pac 16. They have a lot of motivation to add midwestern schools to get into the central time zone. You add Kansas State, ISU, OSU, and Texas Tech you have guaranteed central time zone kickoff/tip off slots every week. They would literally have 12 hours worth of football time slots every weekend.
The distance thing isn't a huge impediment...Ames to Seattle is 1,449 miles. For reference, the longest distance in the SEC is A&M to South Carolina (1,009 miles). Honestly...given air travel, 1,000 or 1,500 miles is pretty much the same. Plus, like you said, the PAC gets the desired midwest start times. I do like the potential Eastern division...

Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado
ISU
OSU
KSU
TTech

PAC isn't taking the religious schools. KU more likely to the BIG. You could also throw ISU to the BIG and then the PAC pulls in another school.

• Useful
Reactions: t-noah

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
There’s absolutely zero chance we land in the BIG. Zero.

With their extremely poor leadership, who knows what the Big10 will decide. They couldn't get out their own way during Covid.

I'd put our chances slightly higher at 1%. Ohio St. will drive the bus and just maybe they'll want us.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That’s just flat out not true on every level. Voters from both parties span both fanbases. The actual politicians that matter are Reynolds and Whitver who are both Iowa State people. That’s all aside from the fact that Iowa State not getting into something would be devastating financially for the state.

in general the politicians in this state have long favored Iowa. I wouldn’t count on them to give a **** about us.

Kim did graduate from here but it’s pretty much a fake degree. She just used Iowa state to get enough credits for a liberal studies degree because it would look bad to have a governor without a college degree.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I'm actually wondering if ESPN is the one who is driving this. Last year I had a conversation with a client who does business with Nike, which like ESPN makes a lot of money off of college sports. Their view is they always want the blue bloods to be winning and playing each other because that's what drives sales of merchandise, because of their bigger fanbases. So I would guess that ESPN has done the math and figured that they make a lot more money through subscriptions and ad revenue if Texas and OU are playing Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, LSU, A&M, etc., rather than K State, ISU, OSU, Baylor, etc. Then they can get those smaller schools relegated to a G5 conference and pay them a relative pittance for their TV rights.
Exactly. Add to that the renegotiation of Texas contract well in advance of its expiration, the substantial losses by ESPN and the Disney parks, and I see your comment as more reason for now than anything else.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I'm actually wondering if ESPN is the one who is driving this. Last year I had a conversation with a client who does business with Nike, which like ESPN makes a lot of money off of college sports. Their view is they always want the blue bloods to be winning and playing each other because that's what drives sales of merchandise, because of their bigger fanbases. So I would guess that ESPN has done the math and figured that they make a lot more money through subscriptions and ad revenue if Texas and OU are playing Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, LSU, A&M, etc., rather than K State, ISU, OSU, Baylor, etc. Then they can get those smaller schools relegated to a G5 conference and pay them a relative pittance for their TV rights.
I think this is one way to view it, and it might be how the media companies view it, but I f the blue bloods are always playing each other in the regular season, in the same conference,

1. They will have to lose games. Eventually this hurts their brand. See: Tennessee.

2. it devalues the playoff, which is a cash cow in of itself.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
The distance thing isn't a huge impediment...Ames to Seattle is 1,449 miles. For reference, the longest distance in the SEC is A&M to South Carolina (1,009 miles). Honestly...given air travel, 1,000 or 1,500 miles is pretty much the same. Plus, like you said, the PAC gets the desired midwest start times. I do like the potential Eastern division...

Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado
ISU
OSU
KSU
TTech

PAC isn't taking the religious schools. KU more likely to the BIG. You could also throw ISU to the BIG and then the PAC pulls in another school.
I actually like 4 team pods in a PAC 16.
Midwest Pod: Iowa State, K-State, Oklahoma State, and Colorado
Southeast Pod: Texas Tech, Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah
California Pod: Cal, USC, UCLA, Stanford
Northwest Pod: Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames

This is probably the most realistic outcome. Honestly not terrible.

I don't see K-State getting in here and not Kansas. K-State's football is not enough to elevate them over KU's academics and basketball pedigree.

Reactions: RezClone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This is by far the best case scenario.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Listening to Miller and Condon now. Trent is absolutely giddy with this news, and says our only chance is to the Pac-12. Also says that there is no way Barta will let ISU join the BIG.