COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Here’s how fast info changes through tweets.

tenor.gif

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
You think we get a statement from Pollard any time soon? You’d have to think he’s working the phones hard trying to land ISU in the Big 10.
I could see him making a statement early this week after Texas and OU officially leave Monday. I don’t think it will be much though.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You think we get a statement from Pollard any time soon? You’d have to think he’s working the phones hard trying to land ISU in the Big 10.

Part of me wishes we'd hear something from JP.... even if it's pretty vague.... but the other part of me knows he's being being smart about this and trying to find the best landing spot for ISU.... so I need to be patient!

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
Part of me wishes we'd hear something from JP.... even if it's pretty vague.... but the other part of me knows he's being being smart about this and trying to find the best landing spot for ISU.... so I need to be patient!

If I recall... During the last phase of realignment he was very vocal on Twitter (gives a sense of desperation). I think the silence is a good sign he's optimistic of isu's outcome here.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
If he releases something it would basically just be we are very disappointed in the decisions of Texas and Oklahoma and we are working to do what is best for iowa states future or something along those lines. That’s the most it would be.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Illinois perspective in favor of adding both Kansas and ISU

"I actually believe Iowa State would be the next logical choice for many reasons. The main reason is the fact the Cyclones have been competitive in revenue-generating sports over the past couple of decades. Iowa State won the Big 12 in football this past season, and they have been good at basketball in recent years.

Iowa State and Iowa already play every year, so it would be a natural fit to have them in the conference anyways. The Cyclone and Hawkeyes have one of the most underrated rivalries, so this would be fun to see in the Big Ten."

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
If he releases something it would basically just be we are very disappointed in the decisions of Texas and Oklahoma and we are working to do what is best for iowa states future or something along those lines. That’s the most it would be.

I don’t even want to hear that. Stay off the pity circuit and close the deal JP! Have to image JP’s discretion is a plus.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

I like that we've gone silent, and that Cyclone Twitter hasn't been very leaky.

Doubt we hear anything from Jamie until UT/OU make it official.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
At the bare minimum, I think Alvarez and AD Smith could be for letting speculation linger even if they weren't in favor of actually inviting. This would allow a little negotiation leverage with the PAC-12. It's something tanagible they could do to help Pollard & ISU, short of extending an invite.

Reactions: Freebird

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
What do you think he has to say other than the generic statements everyone else is saying. We are disappointed, We will work to do whats best for our future, etc etc. Hes not going to come out and say hes been talking to the B1G and the ACC and they want us, and we have deals in the bag.
So really there is no point. And really he probably doesnt want to come out until there is something more to say.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I think everyone right now is waiting for the official notice from OU and TX that they are leaving. No one else wants to do anything official until then. Everyone knows its coming, but its not official, and in writing yet. So everyone is just working on things under the table.
Once that happens I see a lot more news coming out fairly quick.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
At the bare minimum, I think Alvarez and AD Smith could be for letting speculation linger even if they weren't in favor of actually inviting. This would allow a little negotiation leverage with the PAC-12. It's something tanagible they could do to help Pollard & ISU, short of extending an invite.

I don’t think it is about the B1G vs. PAC…more Fox vs ESPN.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I could see him making a statement early this week after Texas and OU officially leave Monday. I don’t think it will be much though.

It will be---
"Oklahoma and Texas' announcement that they plan to join the SEC has presented a challenging situation for remaining Big 12 institutions. President Winstersteen and I will do everything in our power to position the Iowa State athletic department with the most favorable outcome possible."

or

"Oklahoma and Texas have shown us to be the true a$$holes that we always knew they were.

Don't worry Cyclone fans- I've got this."

Help Support Us

Become a patron