COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Taking OU and Texas by the SEC is the first step in one gigantic league, run by the SEC / ESPN. It may not be soon but they'll next try to grab the top ACC teams such as Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Miami, Virginia, and Syracuse. Having the ACC under ESPN will help this grab. And maybe before that, they will work on taking the top teams from the Pac-12. Finally, there is one conference left - the Big 10. At this point, the SEC / ESPN has the entire nation blanketed except the Midwest. The SEC will have their own college football playoff. The Big 10 will be shut out and the top powers (Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State) will be forced to join this super league - with ESPN owning all the inventory and Fox shut out.

This ploy is similar to what happened in Europe a couple months ago where all the top teams from different leagues banded together to try to form a super league. Luckily, the players and the fans were were against this and it didn't happen. Well, I don't see the players caring and they don't have the power. The fans are too sensitive about being left out that they will go along with it.

ESPN might want that, but there are two issues. One is that the have to compete against Fox or any other network. Fox isn't going to just roll over. Two, The B1G isn't going to just roll over either. The last thing they would want would be to negotiate from a position of weakness. They want and need competition for bidding rights otherwise ESPN won't have to offer as much. I would expect them to side with the PAC12 or whoever is left to build their own coalition.

The desire to ditch the NCAA should begin to wane with NIL. But if the majority still want to bail, they don't need to merge into one or two large super groups to do so.

• Winner
Reactions: Cloneon

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It isn't just NIL, but also the Supreme Court's ruling that the NCAA cannot restrict what "educational benefits" a school provides for its players as a condition for eligibility. They essentially ruled 9-0 that the NCAA has to give up their favorite stick to keep everyone compliant.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
ESPN might want that, but there are two issues. One is that the have to compete against Fox or any other network. Fox isn't going to just roll over. Two, The B1G isn't going to just roll over either. The last thing they would want would be to negotiate from a position of weakness. They want and need competition for bidding rights otherwise ESPN won't have to offer as much. I would expect them to side with the PAC12 or whoever is left to build their own coalition.

The desire to ditch the NCAA should begin to wane with NIL. But if the majority still want to bail, they don't need to merge into one or two large super groups to do so.
Maybe. But what we know is the following;
#1 :. Schools are free to use their influence to obtain money for their athletes. SEC is taking advantage of this already.
#2:. Texas and Oklahoma have given no reason why they would leave. Obviously it is money but why so early when the Grant of Rights is still a ways away? Also, they have an easier time to get to the playoffs in the Big 12. Maybe they are holding back instead of saying, "The SEC and ESPN are going to form a super league and we want to be a part of it.". They say that now, panic sets in and lawmakers of all conferences get involved. The other tv partners put locking down the Big 10 and Pac-12 as much as they can.
#3:. Chris Williams gave a little hint that he believes something more is at play. Maybe his source or sources revealed this but he couldn't say as much without confirmation.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
The immediate financial implications are worrisome, and I know many will lose interest, but I’ve been going to games since I was five and I have no intention of stopping. Besides, ticket prices would eventually go down, and it’s still a good time back at alma mater.
We will lose Campbell and never do another facility upgrade close to what's been done lately or what's now on the boards. Recruiting will crater. None of us has ever been an ISU fan when they were not in a power conference. Without P4 status, ISU football is over. Relegation = Death.

Last edited:

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Maybe. But what we know is the following;
#1 :. Schools are free to use their influence to obtain money for their athletes. SEC is taking advantage of this already.
#2:. Texas and Oklahoma have given no reason why they would leave. Obviously it is money but why so early when the Grant of Rights is still a ways away? Also, they have an easier time to get to the playoffs in the Big 12. Maybe they are holding back instead of saying, "The SEC and ESPN are going to form a super league and we want to be a part of it.". They say that now, panic sets in and lawmakers of all conferences get involved. The other tv partners put locking down the Big 10 and Pac-12 as much as they can.
#3:. Chris Williams gave a little hint that he believes something more is at play. Maybe his source or sources revealed this but he couldn't say as much without confirmation.

My bet is the B1G/PAC cut television rights from ESPN and go exclusive with Fox or Amazon (or a new streamer in Apple or Google).

Reactions: CascadeClone

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I agree with this. B1G is the optimal outcome. But I give it about a 15% chance of happening. The PAC option is probably the most likely outcome. A reconstituted Big XII is a very poor result for us and I would probably lose major interest in college sports, especially FB.
Agree, and I still don’t know how the Pac 12 wouldn’t kill my interest as well. I’m not sure I will get myself to watch anything outside of Iowa State. Even then, my interest in iowa state might take a hit. Guess at least the pandemic taught me I don’t need to watch sports. Oh well, plenty of other things I can do on Saturdays in the fall.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Just checking in to show off my new avatar. Texas and OU suck!

Shoot, now Texas won't even get the 'two fingers down' treatment due to the rule passed forbidding players doing it. Does this now mean they will have to pass another rule to prevent the 'one finger up' ?

Reactions: bozclone

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Cyclone brother, with respect, a reconstituted XII is G6. And G6 is death. Cyclones fans will not accept a product, an opponent, or facilities on par with Tulsa. If not P4, we have no interest in following ISU football. ISU football goes on one of two ways, in the B1G or in the Pac. That's it.
Hope we get our mutual wish, but I would not bet on it. If we go G6 I will be very disappointed, but will still attend and cheer the clones. As a fan, there is nothing I can to make the BIG or P12 take us if they do not want to. At least I better understand your definition of “death” - you will no longer be a fan. I am sure there are many others like you- hopefully less than half.

Reactions: CY74

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Shoot, now Texas won't even get the 'two fingers down' treatment due to the rule passed forbidding players doing it. Does this now mean they will have to pass another rule to prevent the 'one finger up' ?
There was no rule passed forbidding horns down specifically. It's just enforcing the current taunting rule which has been in place for a long time. Literally nothing the head of officials said in the press conference when he was asked specifically about horns down is new.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I agree. If they don't take teams now, that window closes. There will not be another situation like this available for a generation.

I don’t know….I think Iowa state, Kansas…etc will always be there

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Give this man a cigar. This is the endgame.

agree, if ESPN doesn’t want to pay the big 12 orphans anymore…eventually they don’t want to pay half the sec way more than they are worth either…nobody cares about the Mississippi schools, vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina…etc

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We will lose Campbell and never do another facility upgrade close to what's been done lately or what's now on the boards. Recruiting will crater. None of us has ever been an ISU fan when they were not in a power conference. Without P4 status, ISU football is over. Relegation = Death.

Ya but is 1980-1992 going to be so dissimilar to that?

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Yep. Just like TCU.

tsirnickesqcy

Oct 13, 2013
Des Moines, IA

My hunch is Fox is getting out of the CFB biz

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron