COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
If the blue bloods are all going to hook up in one or two super conferences I guess I am assuming we don't make the cut for those. A now second tier league of P5 castaways is the best outcome for us in that scenario.
If a super conference is added short of 64 teams, I'm going to short Disney.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Of course we would not bring in more than our share, but[/B] for every OSU that brings in more, there’s a team that brings in less. People need to realize that the media companies dictate this, because that’s where schools make their money. The media companies don’t give a **** if the per school revenue drops. They want inventory and want lots of games as long as they are profitable.

This is the same reason a small NFL type league probably won’t happen at all, and if it does it will be short lived.

Toyota makes a lot more on 4 runners than Corollas, so why make Corollas? Because they sell a hell of a lot and still make money on them. Disney family of channels has a ton of air time to fill and another idiot screaming hot takes doesn’t attract ad revenue. They need tons of games, and they’ll take anything that’s profitable. Minnesota -ISU wouldn’t be as profitable as tOSU-Penn State, but it would still be more profitable than something other than live NFL or CFB.
Now hear me out with this. One thing people over look is that by adding two teams. A conference may decide to add a conference game and cut a non con. The conference games are worth more than nearly all non cons. You get it every year and not every other pending on the other team. Something like that could create more by adding two more teams. Yes, it may work with many teams, but it isn’t just a no brained that adding two non blue bloods will have diminishing returns.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
If a super conference is added short of 64 teams, I'm going to short Disney.
Yeah I’m pissed at all of this from a shareholder standpoint too. All this does is drive more fans away and hurt ESPN long term. It may help short term but when nobody cares that is a disaster.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Now hear me out with this. One thing people over look is that by adding two teams. A conference may decide to add a conference game and cut a non con. The conference games are worth more than nearly all non cons. You get it every year and not every other pending on the other team. Something like that could create more by adding two more teams. Yes, it may work with many teams, but it isn’t just a no brained that adding two non blue bloods will have diminishing returns.

More money for TV, but they lose a home game every other year because most of these non-con games to not alternate home and home. And if it's a home and home with another P5 team, they're getting the TV revenue anyway. What the net difference is I don't know. ISU/Iowa would be accretive to the conference because the conference would get the TV money every year instead of every other one.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Not so fast my friend - this needs to be option 3, with options 1&2 both having low probability for ISU. Might turn out be be our salvation, but requires most of the 8 to stick together. Tech to the p12 is the most likely of any bodies chances, then KU to the BIG. Okie State to the P12 seems quite possible too. Everybody else - ??????
Cyclone brother, with respect, a reconstituted XII is G6. And G6 is death. Cyclones fans will not accept a product, an opponent, or facilities on par with Tulsa. If not P4, we have no interest in following ISU football. ISU football goes on one of two ways, in the B1G or in the Pac. That's it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If the blue bloods are all going to hook up in one or two super conferences I guess I am assuming we don't make the cut for those. A now second tier league of P5 castaways is the best outcome for us in that scenario.
Just shoot me.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Taking OU and Texas by the SEC is the first step in one gigantic league, run by the SEC / ESPN. It may not be soon but they'll next try to grab the top ACC teams such as Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Miami, Virginia, and Syracuse. Having the ACC under ESPN will help this grab. And maybe before that, they will work on taking the top teams from the Pac-12. Finally, there is one conference left - the Big 10. At this point, the SEC / ESPN has the entire nation blanketed except the Midwest. The SEC will have their own college football playoff. The Big 10 will be shut out and the top powers (Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State) will be forced to join this super league - with ESPN owning all the inventory and Fox shut out.

This ploy is similar to what happened in Europe a couple months ago where all the top teams from different leagues banded together to try to form a super league. Luckily, the players and the fans were were against this and it didn't happen. Well, I don't see the players caring and they don't have the power. The fans are too sensitive about being left out that they will go along with it.

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The argument for these schools will be, "why make $50 million carrying the other schools in your conference, when you can compete with the best players in the country that money can buy in our super conference and bring home $85 million? Your conference mates are just holding you back."

It is a seductive message. Especially if the schools believe "additional educational benefits" is something the rest of their conference cannot afford to provide.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah I’m pissed at all of this from a shareholder standpoint too. All this does is drive more fans away and hurt ESPN long term. It may help short term but when nobody cares that is a disaster.

Dianey should sell off ESPN and buy all of Fox. Every Fox property.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I’m at peace if this is the eventual Armageddon. The schools that would rather be football teams than universities can enjoy being NFL lite. The rest will be poor but maintain our integrity. Or regain it, depending on how you feel about the last 30 years of making crazy tv money.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Cyclone brother, with respect, a reconstituted XII is G6. And G6 is death. Cyclones fans will not accept a product, an opponent, or facilities on par with Tulsa. If not P4, we have no interest in following ISU football. ISU football goes on one of two ways, in the B1G or in the Pac. That's it.
The immediate financial implications are worrisome, and I know many will lose interest, but I’ve been going to games since I was five and I have no intention of stopping. Besides, ticket prices would eventually go down, and it’s still a good time back at alma mater.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Depends. If its 2 super leagues with 60-70 teams, we would have a good chance.

if it is 1 super league with 20-30 teams, then not so much. BUT the consolation there is that if there are 40 good programs left (from Purdue to Ga Tech to Ole Miss to Arizona) then there is plenty of teams to redo some conferences under the NCAA and do college football. Won't be $50M per year, but if everyone is on the same level it will be fine.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
The immediate financial implications are worrisome, and I know many will lose interest, but I’ve been going to games since I was five and I have no intention of stopping. Besides, ticket prices would eventually go down, and it’s still a good time back at alma mater.
Personally, I've lost interest in most football outside of Iowa State. The long term brain impacts just don't sit well with me anymore. But whatever level Iowa State ends up at I will still go to and watch games. The second tier bundesliga has some of the highest attendance figures in europe, granted they still have realistic dreams of getting into the top level. I had thought the expanded playoff would finally give teams like Iowa State and many others a realistic chance at a National Title but those hopes appear to be short lived.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

There's a 3rd option of the Texas Legislature killing the move. That in itself doesn't do anything for the longterm viability of the league, but if Texas decided to become an independent, we would have the revenue bonus of retaining OU and the cancer of the conference is gone. And obviously that wouldn't be a G6 league. It's plausible that we could add some disgruntled teams from other leagues and work to build the number of teams back up to 12. The odds aren't great, and no one knows what the revenue of such a league would look like, but it remains a possibility. It would boil down to just how small we (the other 8 schools) could cut the loss, and of course would have to allow OU or anyone else to maximize Tier 3 money to justify them sticking around.

I think OU would have great difficulty finding a second school to go with them to the SEC as everyone in the ACC is locked down for a decade.

Reactions: Neptune78