Compare ISU & UT

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
Is there a thread for this? If yes, please merge.

Sam Ehlinger looked good today but Broc Purdy was the x factor in ISU win. Broc was calm and the silent leader. Not sure if Ehlinger is all that.

Purdy uses our receivers well. I was happy to see the trick play between Purdy and Jones. That adds another duo to Butler-Purdy. I havent seen anyone like Butler, a pro style WR on the Texas team. I must admit that I haven't truly followed them all year. How do they compare against our receivers?

Texas has a lousy rush defense. Even their pass defense is not astoundly strong. They have the size, however, on the defensive side. How do we compare in scoring defense overall?

Oh, and special teams. This is where ISU isnt all that great.

Let's see how you guys compare the two teams.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Who is Texas?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Spanky

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Ehlinger will give us some problems. He is similar to Baylor's QB, only a little better. Actually, Texas' offense is like Baylor in general. They have a lot of good WR's and some good RB's. Their offensive line is not great. Tech was getting to Ehlinger quite a bit, so our best bet is to get creative in blitzing, much like we did against West Virginia. Offensively, play calling will have to be really solid. It will be hard to run up the middle against them, something we don't do good at all in the first place. I hope to see some running to the outside and I would really love to see Nwangwu get involved in the passing game.

Here's an idea for a play. Line up Butler wide right with Kolar in the slot and Nwangwu (or Milton) in between them but a couple yards behind them. Have Butler and Kolar run 7-8 yard post routes while Nwangwu (or Milton) goes deep. Having a speedster between a couple 6'6" guys, the defense might not get a good look at him and where he is running to.

My prediction is that the offense has it's best game of the year but it comes down to the wire and Purdy gets us into FG range for the win in his first game-winning drive opportunity.
ISU-41
Texass-38

Reactions: khardbored

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ehlinger will give us some problems. He is similar to Baylor's QB, only a little better. Actually, Texas' offense is like Baylor in general. They have a lot of good WR's and some good RB's. Their offensive line is not great. Tech was getting to Ehlinger quite a bit, so our best bet is to get creative in blitzing, much like we did against West Virginia. Offensively, play calling will have to be really solid. It will be hard to run up the middle against them, something we don't do good at all in the first place. I hope to see some running to the outside and I would really love to see Nwangwu get involved in the passing game.

Here's an idea for a play. Line up Butler wide right with Kolar in the slot and Nwangwu (or Milton) in between them but a couple yards behind them. Have Butler and Kolar run 7-8 yard post routes while Nwangwu (or Milton) goes deep. Having a speedster between a couple 6'6" guys, the defense might not get a good look at him and where he is running to.

My prediction is that the offense has it's best game of the year but it comes down to the wire and Purdy gets us into FG range for the win in his first game-winning drive opportunity.
ISU-41
Texass-38

I agree on their offense. May need to employ a spy, or at the very least make sure we are rushing with containment discipline. I think it's another toss up game. If we play well, I think we win.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
My initial thoughts for next week's game:
I'm glad Texas won. They will be favored and Herman's Texas teams seem to not have the swagger favored than when they are the dogs.

I think we will be very motivated going into this game (more so than before) because of DM likely sitting out the first half. The team knows they will have to step it up. David is going to be fresh for the second half with a chip on his shoulder.

College Gameday hasn't announced where they are going to. I think there is a good chance they are going to Austin despite this game being on LHN. You know they will use it as a marketing opportunity to talk up the LHN the entire show.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Ehlinger has looked good; more of a dual threat than I realized.

I'd feel a lot more confident if our defense had looked dominant and had delivered more three-and-outs. But they rose to the occasion against WVU, which gives me some hope.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Sam Ehlinger has really come a long ways. He makes that offense go and I worry about his running ability. He’s got very good vision running the ball from what I’ve seen. This Texas team has talent they just haven’t put it all together. If we can contain him and get to him I think we come away with a win. We really need to finish on getting to the QB. A lot of almost last night

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It is going to be a tough game for ISU. The defense against Baylor did not look good at all, giving up huge chunks on the ground and through the air. They dropped a couple INTs that could have stopped the bleeding, but in general the Bears did everything they wanted except score.

The offense today was weird. They scored on every possession in the first half, but it just didn't seem like they were playing that well. Purdy had a great game, but the offense sputtered a lot in the second half. Running game was not what if should have been against a marginal rush defense.

Lots of stuff to look at and figure out before next Saturday for sure. TX presents some unique challenges to ISU with a big running QB and a physical running attack. Offense is going to have to get 35+ points to win that one.

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
My initial thoughts for next week's game:
I'm glad Texas won. They will be favored and Herman's Texas teams seem to not have the swagger favored than when they are the dogs.

I think we will be very motivated going into this game (more so than before) because of DM likely sitting out the first half. The team knows they will have to step it up. David is going to be fresh for the second half with a chip on his shoulder.

College Gameday hasn't announced where they are going to. I think there is a good chance they are going to Austin despite this game being on LHN. You know they will use it as a marketing opportunity to talk up the LHN the entire show.
Syracuse vs ND will get College Game Day

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
The way we played the past two weeks (good, but not our best) ... we've had our eye on Texas. That gives me confidence for next Saturday.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Is there a thread for this? If yes, please merge.

Sam Ehlinger looked good today but Broc Purdy was the x factor in ISU win. Broc was calm and the silent leader. Not sure if Ehlinger is all that.

Purdy uses our receivers well. I was happy to see the trick play between Purdy and Jones. That adds another duo to Butler-Purdy. I havent seen anyone like Butler, a pro style WR on the Texas team. I must admit that I haven't truly followed them all year. How do they compare against our receivers?

Texas has a lousy rush defense. Even their pass defense is not astoundly strong. They have the size, however, on the defensive side. How do we compare in scoring defense overall?

Oh, and special teams. This is where ISU isnt all that great.

Let's see how you guys compare the two teams.

Brock has a k. And Texas has two Butler-style WRs.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Texas defense isn't as good as I thought they would be, but Ehlinger has really improved. It should be a close game