"Condition" of grass for Saturday?

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Anyone have any insight into whether or not our groundskeeping practices have been modified leading up to Saturday's game? I've heard various media personalities joke about it, but I hope we honestly take advantage of the home field advantage, and I personally consider such practices fair play. I'd be disappointed if we don't.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I would be pretty embarrassed if ISU "modified" the field to get an advantage. That's something Iowa would do along with their pink visitors lockeroom.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I would be pretty embarrassed if ISU "modified" the field to get an advantage. That's something Iowa would do along with their pink visitors lockeroom.
Why? Both teams play on the same field. I have no idea if there are regulations for grass length, but assuming it would be within any regulatory limits, why the embarrassment?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Get out there and water the **** out of it! Slow Baylor down, I'll take any advantage we can get.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Ol Jimmy drove by JTS yesterdee and said the grass looked like this here:
tall-grass.jpg

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Plenty of teams used to do it. Especially Iowa. And Baylor plays pretty average on grass to begin with. Both playing on the same field...

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I don't know the exact rules, but I think the grass has to be no longer than some specific height. This is something that a lot of schools have done in the past to slow down fast teams. Not really sure if it works, but ISU is going to need everything they can muster to stay in this game.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I don't know the exact rules, but I think the grass has to be no longer than some specific height.

Nope. Nothing in the rulebook about the height/depth of the playing surface.

Northwestern had a rather "plush" field last year against Ohio State.

9302918.jpeg

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Field Areas

ARTICLE 9. a. No material or device shall be used to improve or degrade the

playing surface or other conditions and give one player or team an advantage

(
Exceptions: Rules 2-16-4-b and c).

PENALTY—Live-ball foul. Five yards from the previous spot [S27].

b. The referee may require any improvement in the field necessary for proper

and safe game administration.

I would think long grass is neither a material or device that degrades the field, nor does it provide one team with an advantage as both teams have to play on it. FYI the noted exception is the use of a kicking tee for kickoffs and field goals.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Hey, if teams can install and play on fake grass to enhance and take advantage of their speed, Iowa State can grow the grass longer to help lessen that advantage. See nothing wrong with it.