"Condition" of grass for Saturday?

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
using extra thick paint on the yard lines which I predict will result in at least one TD saving "tackle"...

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I doubt that the length of the grass makes any significant difference in speed. If there was any it would be very small and not enough to give either team an advantage. This is just a big myth.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I doubt that the length of the grass makes any significant difference in speed. If there was any it would be very small and not enough to give either team an advantage. This is just a big myth.

I disagree. Speed is speed, but there is a definite difference between natural grass that has some growth, and field turf. This is going to be Baylor's first road game of the season, so they haven't been on grass yet, and with the growing number of turf fields, I would guess even the upperclassmen for Baylor have only played on grass a handful of times in their career.

Even if it's as simple as Baylor will have to switch shoes from what they're used to, it will be different. No huge advantage for Iowa St, but no doubt it will be different for Baylor.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I disagree. Speed is speed, but there is a definite difference between natural grass that has some growth, and field turf. This is going to be Baylor's first road game of the season, so they haven't been on grass yet, and with the growing number of turf fields, I would guess even the upperclassmen for Baylor have only played on grass a handful of times in their career.

Even if it's as simple as Baylor will have to switch shoes from what they're used to, it will be different. No huge advantage for Iowa St, but no doubt it will be different for Baylor.

Baylor's did play @ Buffalo, but Buffalo has an artificial surface as well.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
I say we go with some Colorado Kush, get those suckers from Baylor high enough that they leave for Hickory Park at halftime.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Wouldn't long grass diminish speed equally?
We don't have a power running offense that would take advantage of bad field conditions anyway.

RebelT

Oct 9, 2008
Baylor practices on grass every day. Our outdoor practice surface is grass. Indoor is artificial. The "issues" with grass have more to do with the team not being very good when most of those grass games were played and less to do with the grass itself.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
Screw all that stuff. What we need is a tornado to run right through Jack Trice to start the game.

Yes, So we all die.....

I can't remember what game or what year but I know it's been at least 10 years ago but right about kick off we had a REAL tornado warning. Maybe against Toledo? Anyways, they sent people to Hilton and watching the mad dash of people run that way while I sat in a ditch and drank busch light was priceless. Didn't end up being much more than a heavy thunderstorm and some good ol wind.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Baylor practices on grass every day. Our outdoor practice surface is grass. Indoor is artificial. The "issues" with grass have more to do with the team not being very good when most of those grass games were played and less to do with the grass itself.

What's Baylors home record the last few years compared to their road record?

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
Yes, So we all die.....

I can't remember what game or what year but I know it's been at least 10 years ago but right about kick off we had a REAL tornado warning. Maybe against Toledo? Anyways, they sent people to Hilton and watching the mad dash of people run that way while I sat in a ditch and drank busch light was priceless. Didn't end up being much more than a heavy thunderstorm and some good ol wind.

That was against Colorado, I think 2005? Wasn't that the Brent Curvey pick six game?

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Yes, So we all die.....

That was the Colorado game. They thought they had a good, real mascot until we brought the real thing. There was an acutal cyclone sited on the NW part of Ames.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
“I thought we had a pretty good mascot. But when we showed up at Iowa State and they had a real tornado, that’s the real deal!” - CU Buffalo coach Gary Barnett