DeShawn Hanika Transferring

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I don’t want to take the 1% chance I’m wrong. If I say this is who I heard it was, can I get in any trouble if it turns out not to be him? I feel very confident with the source of the info.

To be considered defamation in Iowa, a statement must be made negligently or with malice, so you should be good to go*.

*Not a lawyer.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
*Not a lawyer.

enhance-super-troopers.gif

Reactions: Aclone

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I don’t want to take the 1% chance I’m wrong. If I say this is who I heard it was, can I get in any trouble if it turns out not to be him? I feel very confident with the source of the info.
Nope. You're just saying what you heard with no guarantees. And, it may be that this person is a public figure. I suspect that you have no malice in your heart. :mccaffery:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
@CloneLawman Here's an article for you to read. ;)

First three paragraphs will be enough to tell you whats going on with it.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

So I'll say it for you (simply agree with this post if I am right): Special Agent Brian Sanger

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois

The other agent (Joe Erion) mentioned sounds like a piece of work as well. I'll keep my additional comments to myself so as to not cave this thread.

• Wow
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
So I'll say it for you (simply agree with this post if I am right): Special Agent Brian Sange

"The Defendant informed the Court and the State though his September 28, 2023, Motion for Evidentiary Hearing that he anticipated calling two witnesses at the hearing on all pending discovery Motions. A hearing is currently set for October 20, 2023, on the motions…the Defendant has subpoenaed Special Agent Brian Sanger, an employee of Iowa DCI, and Brian Ohorilko, the Administrator of the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission.

"The State sets forth that they have standing to object to the calling of witnesses as it has an interest in “preventing the lengthening of hearings and preventing witness harassment.” The State further sets forth that the Defendant has not attempted to depose Agent Sanger and is only attempting to harass him by moving to elicit his testimony at an evidentiary hearing regarding evidence the State refuses to supply. The Defendant has requested an evidentiary hearing, wherein he has the burden, regarding discovery disputes that are not only paramount to the suppression issues herein, but also to the credibility of the investigation itself.

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
"The Defendant informed the Court and the State though his September 28, 2023, Motion for Evidentiary Hearing that he anticipated calling two witnesses at the hearing on all pending discovery Motions. A hearing is currently set for October 20, 2023, on the motions…the Defendant has subpoenaed Special Agent Brian Sanger, an employee of Iowa DCI, and Brian Ohorilko, the Administrator of the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission.

"The State sets forth that they have standing to object to the calling of witnesses as it has an interest in “preventing the lengthening of hearings and preventing witness harassment.” The State further sets forth that the Defendant has not attempted to depose Agent Sanger and is only attempting to harass him by moving to elicit his testimony at an evidentiary hearing regarding evidence the State refuses to supply. The Defendant has requested an evidentiary hearing, wherein he has the burden, regarding discovery disputes that are not only paramount to the suppression issues herein, but also to the credibility of the investigation itself.
From what I hear, they are hoping this kinda just goes away at this point. That is why cases are being dropped. Problem for them, Enyi and Hanika have a lawyer that keeps charging forward.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I really hope they will keep charging and give this ahole the bad pub he deserves.
If the mistakes that have been reported are true, Enyi may be living off the DCI for the rest of his life. Not too hard to show he lost a 900k year contract for a few years and who knows what after 2-3 more. Hanika, I don't know, he would need NCAA to give him another year to help boost his stock and the NCAA is kind of its own bear.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
If the mistakes that have been reported are true, Enyi may be living off the DCI for the rest of his life. Not too hard to show he lost a 900k year contract for a few years and who knows what after 2-3 more. Hanika, I don't know, he would need NCAA to give him another year to help boost his stock and the NCAA is kind of its own bear.

Unfortunately for Hanika, it's club rules (NCAA) and there is probably little to no legal recourse.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
He may have a case against the DCI if they didn't do things correctly, but betting on his own team, including games he was playing in, is what cost him his salary.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He may have a case against the DCI if they didn't do things correctly, but betting on his own team, including games he was playing in, is what cost him his salary.
Agree with the actual bet stuff, it was dumb. The problem for DCI is several reports were that the information was obtained illegally. Which means it will be thrown out. So now you have no evidence against any of the betters.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Agree with the actual bet stuff, it was dumb. The problem for DCI is several reports were that the information was obtained illegally. Which means it will be thrown out. So now you have no evidence against any of the betters.
I agree, although that's all just speculation at this point, I'm just saying he's the one that put himself in this position initially even though he may end up getting a settlement from the state.

Reactions: PickSix

Help Support Us

Become a patron