Gonzaga to join the Big 12?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Wish we could do Arizona, Arizona State and Utah plus add the Zags. I want to punish Colorado for leaving back in the day

There are valid reasons to say no to Colorado, but this isn't one of them. Not only should one not make business decisions emotionally like this, Colorado left at a time when it wasn't certain the big 12 would exist, and they were guaranteeing that they'd have a landing spot (making sure baylor didn't jump in and take their spot if the texas teams went west)

Reactions: sdillon500

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
There are valid reasons to say no to Colorado, but this isn't one of them. Not only should one not make business decisions emotionally like this, Colorado left at a time when it wasn't certain the big 12 would exist, and they were guaranteeing that they'd have a landing spot (making sure baylor didn't jump in and take their spot if the texas teams went west)

I’m not the one making decisions so I can wish what I want. Also, Colorado don’t really bring much. Nobody cares or watches Colorado sports and they suck at pretty much all sports

Reactions: SCarolinaCy

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Given how much Yormark has leaned into New York City as an important market, and his obvious connections there, along with his push for the Big 12 to gain national appeal, I expect that he will call St. John’s to see if they will join the league as well. (Either alone as a team #14, or perhaps as a group with some combination of two of UConn, Villanova, Georgetown.)

St. John’s home games against Gonzaga, Kansas, Baylor, whoever else is a top Big 12 team at that time would be marketed as major New York sporting events at MSG or Barclays Center.
I was thinking Syracuse if they become available because Yormark seems to be leaning into basketball and national branding.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
I have no problem with it, as long as terms are appropriate for bball and minor sports, what ever they have. New avenue to exploit, think we will need to add another bball only major sport school.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Nebraska/Texas/OU/A&M created the chaos very willfully.

Missouri and Colorado took the same lifeboat we would've taken those days, imho they aren't responsible any more than ISU or KSU which is to say not at all. Only other detail is Missouri got caught publicly asking B10 for an invite and CU news didn't leak until they had P10 invite.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I haven't read this entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned.... but how long will Mark Few be there?

And if he retires.... does Gonzaga basketball become just another ho hum basketball school that nobody even cares about anymore?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I’m not the one making decisions so I can wish what I want. Also, Colorado don’t really bring much. Nobody cares or watches Colorado sports and they suck at pretty much all sports

As I said, there are valid arguments (that being one). I just think being butthurt about them leaving the first time is a pretty stupid reason.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I haven't read this entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned.... but how long will Mark Few be there?

And if he retires.... does Gonzaga basketball become just another ho hum basketball school that nobody even cares about anymore?

This is a pretty valid question.

If they're in the Big 12 I'm guessing that affiliation and the brand at least keep them competitive.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
This could very well be some sort of bluff, however, as someone who's a massive college basketball person over CFB I'd be in love with this.

Makes the top of the conference insane. Kansas, Baylor, Tech, Houston, and Gonzaga as your top 5? ******* hell. Thank god we pulled in TJ when we did.