How good can this team be?

What is your general feeling about the MBB Program entering the season?

• No Postseason; this young team will struggle to gel with so many new faces

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Postseason, non-NCAA berth; team is full of raw potential, chemistry may develop slow, will compete

Votes: 68 28.7%
  • NCAA Berth; you think this team will surprise some people and finish top half of conference

Votes: 46 19.4%
  • Irrelevant; Season will produce inconsistent results amidst pandemic, season will end prematurely

Votes: 33 13.9%

• Total voters

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I did just have to remind myself that part of the optimism I had for possibly getting to the tournament was adding Hinson to the starting lineup and the hope Jackson was improved and continued shooting the way he did the last several weeks of conference play. Now Hinson is gone and Jackson is obviously out for awhile and who knows how long it will take for him to get back up to speed.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I pegged the over/under at a win % of .400 in another thread.

I would definitely take the under on that and am thinking it will be more like .350.

I don't think we hit .350. There is no home court advantage this season. Five B12 teams in the rankings. It's going to be a rough one.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Why do people think Javan Johnson will be good? Where does this come from?

He's played what, 4 major conference teams in his entire career, and barely averaged double figures for Troy?

Is one year off with our coaching staff, playing against our talent level, going to magically transform him into a b12 stud, nevermind a legit starter for us??

I think expectations for JJ are just waaaay off base. Why do our fans to this to themselves??

The Bart Torvik type websites of CBB projected him to average around 3 points this year; any narrative more than that was internal hype.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Obviously after last night, you can see he's going to be more than a 3 pt per game player. 13/7/8, 3 blocks and zero TOs against a decent opponent. Except for a few of his 3 pointers, he played a really solid game.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Obviously after last night, you can see he's going to be more than a 3 pt per game player. 13/7/8, 3 blocks and zero TOs against a decent opponent. Except for a few of his 3 pointers, he played a really solid game.

Bright spot for sure. Seems like he has a lot of room to get better just by playing games.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think we have the pieces to have a good year, but I don’t think we have the chemistry or experience to have a good year.

I know some people label last year as a rebuild, but no it was just a bad year. This year is the rebuild. This year we actually have a foundation to build on. I’m encouraged about the talent and versatility we have, and who we have returning next year and a certain incoming freshman we will have to replace Bolton at guard.

I think we will get better as the year goes on, but odds are it won’t be enough, even though the talent is there. I do expect some upsets this year though. Just have to be smarter about the shot selection, and be OK if the shot only counts for 2.

Reactions: clones8232

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think we have the pieces to have a good year, but I don’t think we have the chemistry or experience to have a good year.

I know some people label last year as a rebuild, but no it was just a bad year. This year is the rebuild. This year we actually have a foundation to build on. I’m encouraged about the talent and versatility we have, and who we have returning next year and a certain incoming freshman we will have to replace Bolton at guard.

I think we will get better as the year goes on, but odds are it won’t be enough, even though the talent is there. I do expect some upsets this year though. Just have to be smarter about the shot selection, and be OK if the shot only counts for 2.
Not trying to make excuses for anyone, but we still have our share of issues with injuries this year. I wonder if we will ever get a clear picture of Prohm. He's had so many strange years here being with early leaves for NBA, Fred's carry over, injuries, covid, etc.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Not trying to make excuses for anyone, but we still have our share of issues with injuries this year. I wonder if we will ever get a clear picture of Prohm. He's had so many strange years here being with early leaves for NBA, Fred's carry over, injuries, covid, etc.

A slow start is expected when you return 4 players, two of which were starters. Couple that with limited off season due to Covid and even more limited due to injury... it would be insane not to have a slow start no matter who the coach is.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
A slow start is expected when you return 4 players, two of which were starters. Couple that with limited off season due to Covid and even more limited due to injury... it would be insane not to have a slow start no matter who the coach is.
I would agree. I love Prohm but I do see problems that aren't going away beyond what we have already discussed. I'm hoping for the best. There is not a better liaison and person for that position as far as character goes than Steve IMO. I think he recruits so well, one of these years were going to get a clean lick at it. This freshman class should be the group of players he needs to start better utilizing the early exits while they're here.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron