Iowa State and Iowa issue joint statement on marching bands

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
A joint statement saying basically nothing to follow up an initial statement that said basically nothing. Iowa PR at it's finest.

Barta: Hey Jamie, I really overreacted and overreached based on rumors. Think you could help a fellow AD out and save face?
Jamie: Sure Gary, no problem. I'm a stand-up guy.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My thoughts on what happened summarized:
  • Barta started a ruckus because he didn't like complains from alumni and donors about their kids getting verbally assaulted at games (rightfully so), but there was no real "incident" found
  • Barta should have really taken a hard look in the mirror and realized how obnoxious their fanbase is and chalked it up to rival game, OR BETTER YET, address your toxic fanbase.
  • Pollard 100% was behind the joint press statement because Barta sure as hell wouldn't initiate it
  • Nobody should be throwing beers, scream f-bombs at other fanbases, or getting into fights at the games...period.
I've had run-ins during college with Iowa fans at Hilton and at Jack Trice that stuck with me enough today to know that I don't want to bring my kids to a Cy-hawk game simply because how drunk and stupid their fans can be, and I really don't want to expose them to that yet.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
My thoughts on what happened summarized:
  • Barta started a ruckus because he didn't like complains from alumni and donors about their kids getting verbally assaulted at games (rightfully so), but there was no real "incident" found
  • Barta should have really taken a hard look in the mirror and realized how obnoxious their fanbase is and chalked it up to rival game, OR BETTER YET, address your toxic fanbase.
  • Pollard 100% was behind the joint press statement because Barta sure as hell wouldn't initiate it
  • Nobody should be throwing beers, scream f-bombs at other fanbases, or getting into fights at the games...period.
I've had run-ins during college with Iowa fans at Hilton and at Jack Trice that stuck with me enough today to know that I don't want to bring my kids to the game simply because how drunk and stupid their fans can be, and I really don't want to expose them to that yet.

Lets be honest, we have some ******** in our fanbase too. Less than the amount in Iowa's fanbase (and in both fanbases, they tend to be people who didn't attend the university, which is why iowa has more ********), but they exist nonetheless. It wouldnt surprise me to hear that some went over the top with verbal obscenities at the Iowa band. Particularly when you have a crowd there after 10 hours of tailgating.

I do think both universities can probably use this as an opportunity to make sure that both bands are protected a bit better in the future.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I haven't really been following this but in reading that, it seems to me that perhaps verbal harassment was the primary issue at hand here. If that's accurate, I can understand where both sides are coming from. While it is common fan behavior, especially in rivalries, it's obviously unacceptable when cheering and taunting turns to worse.

However, with the vague ambiguity Iowa provided with their initial press release, the tone seemed to suggest much worse occurred. Leaving things to linger and failing to use proper channels of communication beforehand, the whole thing just seems egregious and exacerbated on Barta's behalf.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
A joint statement is closer to where the whole damn thing should have started in the first place, if anything said at all.

Exactly. This should have been between the two ADs. Both recognize that there have been issues and send out the statement. Neither school gets drug through the mud for something that has been happening at both places for years.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Lets be honest, we have some ******** in our fanbase too. Less than the amount in Iowa's fanbase (and in both fanbases, they tend to be people who didn't attend the university, which is why iowa has more ********), but they exist nonetheless. It wouldnt surprise me to hear that some went over the top with verbal obscenities at the Iowa band. Particularly when you have a crowd there after 10 hours of tailgating.

I do think both universities can probably use this as an opportunity to make sure that both bands are protected a bit better in the future.

Totally agree. We shouldn't be yelling at anyone.

Reactions: Cyclonic1