Iowa State and Iowa issue joint statement on marching bands

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Exactly. This should have been between the two ADs. Both recognize that there have been issues and send out the statement. Neither school gets drug through the mud for something that has been happening at both places for years.

Hell, this probably could have been handled without a press release at all, with the message being directed to the members of both bands via the email lists both bands likely maintain for their members.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
1. Barta comes out firing with no preparation or facts.
2. JP calls him out on his BS at the same time acknowledges the behavior isn't appropriate and they will do what they can to investigate.
3. Barta gets knocked on his ass with blowback.
4. JP helps Barta save face by coming up with a joint statement.

So funny how Barta went from guns ablazin' to co-authoring a statement admitting Iowa has fault in it too lol

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
Soooo they got boo’ed a lot at a rival opponents stadium. All I know is that their marching band was the most obnoxious group of people in the stadium (besides Tyler cook, wearing his own jersey smh) after they won the game but now they’re upset they got boo’ed. Lol

Reactions: Acylum

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
My thoughts on what happened summarized:
  • Barta started a ruckus because he didn't like complains from alumni and donors about their kids getting verbally assaulted at games (rightfully so), but there was no real "incident" found
  • Barta should have really taken a hard look in the mirror and realized how obnoxious their fanbase is and chalked it up to rival game, OR BETTER YET, address your toxic fanbase.
  • Pollard 100% was behind the joint press statement because Barta sure as hell wouldn't initiate it
  • Nobody should be throwing beers, scream f-bombs at other fanbases, or getting into fights at the games...period.
I've had run-ins during college with Iowa fans at Hilton and at Jack Trice that stuck with me enough today to know that I don't want to bring my kids to a Cy-hawk game simply because how drunk and stupid their fans can be, and I really don't want to expose them to that yet.

I tagged along with my parents to almost all football games as a kid. But they never let me go to the Iowa game, and I remember always being upset about it.

Now I understand.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is total BS!

I wish JP could do more than this to Barta, but he's too much of a stand up guy.

Barta threw out these allegations against basically Iowa State University, and it went national on ESPN and other national media outlets. It was a stain on ISU's program and made ISU and its fans look really bad.

And as it turns out, it was nothing more than what has happened to the ISU band every other year in IC, but we just never made a stink about it. And I really doubt if this joint statement ever makes all the rounds through the national media to clean up ISU's now tarnished image, so it's just out there now, and we're stuck with it.

And what makes this even worse is it's not the first time Barta has done this to ISU and tarnished our image nationally without any merit whatsoever.... and done completely unprofessionally.

Barta is WAY in over his head as an AD at a college level program. He's proven it time and time again. He's such a whiny, crying little beeeyotch.

So thankful to have JP over that d-bag.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
JP is a much better man than me in helping barta save face. I would have thrown uofi under the bus and not thought twice about it.

I would still like to know what the accusation was that garnered such a snowflake response from the head of the uofi athletic department.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
1. Barta comes out firing with no preparation or facts.
2. JP calls him out on his BS at the same time acknowledges the behavior isn't appropriate and they will do what they can to investigate.
3. Barta gets knocked on his ass with blowback.
4. JP helps Barta save face by coming up with a joint statement.

So funny how Barta went from guns ablazin' to co-authoring a statement admitting Iowa has fault in it too lol

What's telling to me is that we're nearly four days after the game with reporters watching this story closely, and to my knowledge we've got nobody on the record with a complaint. If something serious had happened, I have to think we would know more by now.

That doesn't mean nothing happened. What seems more likely is that Barta had no idea how Iowa fans treated ISU visitors and band members in Kinnick until this story blew up and Pollard and ISU fans responded with their own stories. Once confronted with that, he realized that what happened in Ames was (sadly) fairly routine and that airing this publicly wouldn't solve anything.

I guess after he exhausted all other options, Gary Barta finally did the right thing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron