Iowa State and Iowa issue joint statement on marching bands

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
They are the worst. Sunday I took my 4 year old around town for a few things. He dressed himself in Iowa State clothes. Some idiot bends over and yells "Go Hawks" in his face. WTF is wrong with people?!?!

I'm surprised Iowa fans aren't stating as usual, "I find that hard to believe. What did he do to cause it?"

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I have heard multiple Hawk fans say one or more band members were physically assaulted and that one had broken ribs.....c'mon man. In this day and age, that would be on FB, Instagram, and Twitter in 0.2 sec. Plus, Pollard said tell us where and when and we likely have video of it. I am willing to bet it was a lot of verbal abuse (not great) and ZERO of the rest is true.

It wouldn't surprise me if they started trash talking first, but then as the game slipped away from us, some fans basically told them to f*ck off. Losing 5 to them is making some in our fan base pretty touchy. I was at another commitment that night, but it was all I could do to not swear when I heard we lost.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This. Barta got caught with his pants down and JP doesn't want this nonsense spreading around further so I expect both sides to never talk about it again. Everyone will forget about it and move on with their lives.

WHO radio was still spreading lies about assaults and groping on the 5 o clock news summary this evening. Not that surprising.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
WHO radio was still spreading lies about assaults and groping on the 5 o clock news summary this evening. Not that surprising.
Them and KCCI both. I'm losing faith in our media that Twitter users with fake names are now credible sources.

• Winner
Reactions: kilroy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Let's talk about the real issue. Why does EIU give their entire lower level visitor section to the band? Do we no longer let them have space on the asphalt around the field? Surprised that big Hok donors don't gripe more about not being in the lower level.

It is so annoying to have their band between us in the upper deck SE corner and the field. And now for the really important issue. Why are they playing at the same time as the ISU band playing the school song? It is horrible to have to listen to their band when we are trying to clap along with our song. Seems like there should be some professional courtesy, at least during the school song. Apparently, the stadium czar doesn't control the visiting band in the same way he/she controls the ISU band.

• Useful
Reactions: everyyard

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
However, with the vague ambiguity Iowa provided with their initial press release, the tone seemed to suggest much worse occurred. Leaving things to linger and failing to use proper channels of communication beforehand, the whole thing just seems egregious and exacerbated on Barta's behalf.
upload_2019-9-19_8-8-32.jpeg

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Let's talk about the real issue. Why does EIU give their entire lower level visitor section to the band? Do we no longer let them have space on the asphalt around the field? Surprised that big Hok donors don't gripe more about not being in the lower level.

It is so annoying to have their band between us in the upper deck SE corner and the field. And now for the really important issue. Why are they playing at the same time as the ISU band playing the school song? It is horrible to have to listen to their band when we are trying to clap along with our song. Seems like there should be some professional courtesy, at least during the school song. Apparently, the stadium czar doesn't control the visiting band in the same way he/she controls the ISU band.

Have heard that bands have certain protocols that they follow per a gentleman’s agreement.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames

Keith Murphy could hardly control himself on air after the game. He should be more impartial being the Director of the sports department. But we know the Des Moines media will always be on the TOE's side.

• Funny
Reactions: CyDude16

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think JP does everything about perfect but I look at this joint statement as "folding" a little bit. I know he just wants this to go away, but I would have loved to see Barta try to provide some actual facts on this, then when he couldn't, grill the crap out of him and that scuzzy athletic dept and make them look like complete idiots.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Why sling vulgarities and such at kids in the bands?

Kids (people in general) in tribal groups will do and say stupid things. It happens but it doesn't have to be accepted. Both sides were called out and no doubt both sides are at fault.

I'd say grow up but I know what I've done in the past and realize it isn't always possible.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So we've basically concluded some kid tripped and fell on his tuba and hurt himself, right?

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Keith Murphy could hardly control himself on air after the game. He should be more impartial being the Director of the sports department. But we know the Des Moines media will always be on the TOE's side.
Wait...you think Keith Murphy is a Hawk fan?

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I think JP does everything about perfect but I look at this joint statement as "folding" a little bit. I know he just wants this to go away, but I would have loved to see Barta try to provide some actual facts on this, then when he couldn't, grill the crap out of him and that scuzzy athletic dept and make them look like complete idiots.

The upside doesn't get him much (other than potentially embarrassing Barta), but if he goes down that road of waiting for details and something, even something minor coming out, then ISU is on the defensive again. It's just easier to make nice and move on.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Wait...you think Keith Murphy is a Hawk fan?

He’s not. But sometimes he acts like it.

Here’s another example. He asked pollard what he told Campbell after the Iowa loss.

It appeared that pollard wanted to laugh at him.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012

In my opinion that's the job of the press/media.
Also, I have no idea, but I think it would be extremely fair for AD Pollard to file a complaint or whatever the process is, with University of Iowa and the Board of Regents, related to Barta's less than professional behavior over the years with this sort of thing. I wouldn't expect to necessarily know about it because AD Pollard wouldn't issue it as a press-release because he has a lot more class.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
The upside doesn't get him much (other than potentially embarrassing Barta), but if he goes down that road of waiting for details and something, even something minor coming out, then ISU is on the defensive again. It's just easier to make nice and move on.

I agree and understand that. I just want to make Barta pay for pulling this crap twice now.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum