Iowa State Uniform Discussions

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
It's not just Iowa State stuff that has taken a nose dive from Nike. Since Covid, they have been outsourcing a lot of their collegiate product to a company called something like College Branded Sports. Especially stuff in University Book Stores. Look at the tags at the inside bottom of the shirt and you will see it. They can mass produce them faster than Nike, so that's who they use. I bought an ISU sideline hoodie last season, and it was the worst fitting, stiffest and cheap material I've ever had in a Nike hoodie. I returned it immediately when I received it. The quality sucks and they use different cuts than the old Nike stuff from 5 or so years ago. I believe now only the big schools like Ohio State, Alabama etc. actually get most of their stuff made directly by Nike themselves - everyone else gets this College Branded Sports stuff.

Nike also doesn't make most of the NFL and MLB gear - sideline, jerseys, etc. It's made by Fanatics. Again, look at the tags at the bottom inside and they all have a Fanatics GB address somewhere on them.

I will agree with you though that the Iowa State gear is colored all over the map, and it's frustrating. It shouldn't be that hard to pick ONE color of cardinal and go with it. UA, Adidas, Nike, Champion are all big enough companies that they can match the coloring.
Just to expand on this since I work in the industry (kind of), ISU apparel used to be about 50/50 Nike/BCS (Branded Custom Sportswear) when I started four years ago. Nike has dropped so many schools in the last couple years in an effort to get out of college licensing and devote all there resources to their regular clothing and go more direct to consumer and it’s down to like 5/95 now for ISU. Iowa still is about 50/50 with Nike but from what I heard they are probably in the next wave of schools to be dropped in the next couple years.

BCS can still do a lot of cool things if they can get permission to do some of the other non I State logos, but yeah the quality from Nike to BCS is a noticeable drop off imo

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Seems like quite a few NFL teams are now doning alt or secondary helmets (and unis). I wonder if this trend will soon (or ever) reach teams such as the Chiefs, and to lesser extent the Packers?

JohnPrineforCy

Feb 1, 2019
Seems like quite a few NFL teams are now doning alt or secondary helmets (and unis). I wonder if this trend will soon (or ever) reach teams such as the Chiefs, and to lesser extent the Packers?
Clark Hunt has already come out and said the Chiefs will not be doing alt unis/helmets now or in the future. As a Chiefs fan I am fine with that. Don’t need to mess or aEd anything up with their uni.

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
I did not know that Cincy had switched to Nike - I obviously did not know that they will be wearing Nike branded product in FB & Jordan in BB - that seems like a pretty sweet & appropriate arrangement - I know the equipment is mostly the same, just with different logos, but the Jordan logo seems kinda out-of-place on a FB uni - wishing/hoping we can get the same arrangement in the future

Cincy uniform reveal tonight

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I did not know that Cincy had switched to Nike - I obviously did not know that they will be wearing Nike branded product in FB & Jordan in BB - that seems like a pretty sweet & appropriate arrangement - I know the equipment is mostly the same, just with different logos, but the Jordan logo seems kinda out-of-place on a FB uni - wishing/hoping we can get the same arrangement in the future

Cincy uniform reveal tonight

Very unlikely we'll get Jordan.. It's been very exclusive and the Big East was originally the only conference to have two schools with it before OU left for the SEC, making it them and Florida rocking the jump man. I'd doubt they'll have three conference schools have it.

ACC
UNC

Big 10
UCLA & Michigan

Big 12
Houston & Cincy

SEC
Florida & OU

Big East
Georgetown & Marquette

Pac 12
Soon to be SDSU

HBCU
Howard

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
I would love to incorporate the Trice Stripes full time on our uniforms more than just the patch.
I'm kinda wondering if we don't hear some complaints from TCU players &/or coaches about the visibility of our numbers on the front of our JT jerseys - white on a relatively light shade of gray may be problematic

Would def like to see the stripes on our standard game unis, but numbers & stripes on the front/back of the jersey can really muddle things up

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
Very unlikely we'll get Jordan.. It's been very exclusive and the Big East was originally the only conference to have two schools with it before OU left for the SEC, making it them and Florida rocking the jump man. I'd doubt they'll have three conference schools have it.

ACC
UNC

Big 10
UCLA & Michigan

Big 12
Houston & Cincy

SEC
Florida & OU

Big East
Georgetown & Marquette

Pac 12
Soon to be SDSU

HBCU
Howard
What's a conference school anymore ;) Did not know Houston also had Nike FB/Jordan BB - interesting