ISU #4 in ESPN FPI

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Of course it depends on the other conference situations but OU and ISU both 12-1 with the losses to each other would be hard to deny. One is conference champ with only one loss. The other is conference runner up with a win over the conference champ. Of course style points will probably be mentioned by the media and they will be sure to mention the game or two that ISU squeaked out and fail to mention similar games by the Big 10/SEC/ND contenders.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Round robin is tough, but we amp it up with a CCG.
Yeah, not only is there no dodging any teams in the league you also know you are going to face the very best competition again in the championship game. No chance of only having to face that team once because they are in the same division like in the SEC/Big 10/PAC 12/ACC...

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yeah, not only is there no dodging any teams in the league you also know you are going to face the very best competition again in the championship game. No chance of only having to face that team once because they are in the same division like in the SEC/Big 10/PAC 12/ACC...
But do they have Brock, Breece or Mike?? Bring it the mother **** on.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
What will happen is that if we win a close one against Iowa that'll boost their resume while doing little for ours. We are suffering from our own success.

I think the time has come to ask the question: “What does Iowa State gain by playing Iowa in football?”

If we win, it’s because we’re supposed to win. Being the lower ranked team, they’ll look at the game like their Super Bowl and may keep it close. What does a close win over a lower ranked, in-state rival do for Iowa State’s national perception?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think the time has come to ask the question: “What does Iowa State gain by playing Iowa in football?”

If we win, it’s because we’re supposed to win. Being the lower ranked team, they’ll look at the game like their Super Bowl and may keep it close. What does a close win over a lower ranked, in-state rival do for Iowa State’s national perception?
Do we have to start this crap in this thread?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I would like to think that will be true, but it's no guarantee.

Assume 3 of the 4 other P5 champs are all in. Now there is another 1 loss team from SEC or B1G. Precedent would suggest ISU gets in, but "eye test" and they justify the bigger brand. You will note the three 1 loss teams without a conf champ were Bama, ND, and tOSU.

Imagine a 1 loss Georgia beating an undefeated Bama in the SEC CCG. ISU is out in that scenario.

You are right going undefeated and/or hoping this circumstance does not present itself is best.

But putting in a one-loss non-champion from the SEC or Big Ten over a one-loss champion from the Big 12 would be pretty bold "we DNGAF" on the part of the committee. Especially considering are are likely to have a win over Oklahoma in Arlington right before selection to have "proven it."

The preseason #4 only legitimizes us further. The rankings like teams that "should" be there.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
One of the annoying things about Hawkeye fans is their belief their team is going to win a national championship every year. Making the playoffs is a realistic possibility but so is finishing third or fourth in the Big XII. We'll see what happens. I expect UNI to be playing better next fall than they are now.
I expect UNI to be playing better too, but if ISU has legitimate playoff chances (or even top 3 in the conference) it shouldn’t matter. A top half Big 12 team shouldn’t be worried about competing with UNI

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Roadtrips to Las Vegas, Jerry World, and the Big Easy.

2021 could be a very brutal year for the livers of ISU fans.

We need to start training now.
Swap out the Big Easy for a trip to the CFP...

With a chance to avenge the 2001 Independence Bowl against Alabama... That Kick Was Good!

Oh Mama, this could be one epic tailgating season.

Any suggestions for a supplement to keep my liver functioning at peak performance?

Reactions: motorcy90

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
You are right going undefeated and/or hoping this circumstance does not present itself is best.

But putting in a one-loss non-champion from the SEC or Big Ten over a one-loss champion from the Big 12 would be pretty bold "we DNGAF" on the part of the committee. Especially considering are are likely to have a win over Oklahoma in Arlington right before selection to have "proven it."

The preseason #4 only legitimizes us further. The rankings like teams that "should" be there.
In his scenario, Georgia won the SEC championship game.

zcecsch

Feb 6, 2021

The committee claims they care about things like the quality of wins, quality of losses, conference championships, etc etc, but really they basically just care about the nebulous "eye test". They more or less just pick the four teams that look tbe best in their eyes. I just wish that the playoff teams were selected in a more objective way. But I suppose this speech probably doesn't belong in this particular thread, I'll get off my soap box

Reactions: Acylum