ISU #4 in ESPN FPI

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I agree that only a handful of blue blood teams can take a loss and still make the playoffs. ISU is not one of them. This is also the biggest reason the playoffs need to be expanded.

But, if we make the CCG, win or lose, we are likely headed to the Sugar bowl. We win and don't make the CFP or we lose and the winner does make the CFP then the contract says we are bringing in 2022 in New Orleans.

I'd take that in a heartbeat.
Oooooooh. I love New Orleans.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
It's nice to be in the conversation and to be in the playoffs would be awesome beyond belief after decades of futility, but we haven't won anything. The ranking that matters is at the end of the year. We need to be thinking UNI.
"We" can think about whatever we want. The players need to try and avoid too much Kool-aid.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
No. They will never "let" two B12 teams in, even if it's the most obvious answer.
But, yes, it's technically possible. :)

In the past I would have agreed. But with OU and ISU starting so highly ranked, plus the rest of the Big 12, AND with the recent respect we've received by the committee, it's definitely a possibility.

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
In the past I would have agreed. But with OU and ISU starting so highly ranked, plus the rest of the Big 12, AND with the recent respect we've received by the committee, it's definitely a possibility.
Round robin makes it much harder to get 2 from Big 12 in vs. SEC - big10 with divisions and missing higher ranked opponents in certain years.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
One of the annoying things about Hawkeye fans is their belief their team is going to win a national championship every year. Making the playoffs is a realistic possibility but so is finishing third or fourth in the Big XII. We'll see what happens. I expect UNI to be playing better next fall than they are now.

• Dumb
Reactions: jdoggivjc

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
One of the annoying things about Hawkeye fans is their belief their team is going to win a national championship every year. Making the playoffs is a realistic possibility but so is finishing third or fourth in the Big XII. We'll see what happens. I expect UNI to be playing better next fall than they are now.
All of the above is true. And since I have zero control over what actually happens, I’m just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

If I were a coach or player, that would be different.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
-- make the Big 12 championship game with no more than one loss
-- win the Big 12 championship game
= playoff

Seems simple enough to me.

I would like to think that will be true, but it's no guarantee.

Assume 3 of the 4 other P5 champs are all in. Now there is another 1 loss team from SEC or B1G. Precedent would suggest ISU gets in, but "eye test" and they justify the bigger brand. You will note the three 1 loss teams without a conf champ were Bama, ND, and tOSU.

Imagine a 1 loss Georgia beating an undefeated Bama in the SEC CCG. ISU is out in that scenario.

zcecsch

Feb 6, 2021
Basically if we are undefeated, we are essentially guaranteed to be in, if we are one loss conference champs, we are most likely to make it in, if we are undefeated outside of the conference championship game, it is somewhat a tossup. Of course this depends a lot on what happens in the other conference. If there are a whole load of one loss P5 teams, it could force us out. Could even end up with five undefeated P5 champs, but that is unlikely.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
-- make the Big 12 championship game with no more than one loss
-- win the Big 12 championship game
= playoff

Seems simple enough to me.

That is the formula right there and that is why a preseason ranking near the top 5 is so important. With a preseason ranking near the top 5 If Iowa State goes 11-1 and wins the Big 12 title game they will be in the CFP. Period.

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy and 20eyes

Help Support Us

Become a patron