Latrell Bankston Commits

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Don't overlook Tucker Robertson. He's played more snaps than expected, even though he's had to move outside to do it due to Lima and Johnson playing so well inside.
I agree I honestly forgot to mention him. He's going to be a guy that a lot of people don't know right now but will in a year from now.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and bawbie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't think we'll see much of a dropoff if at all on the d-line for next year. Peterson, Uwazerike, Bailey, as well as an older McDonald. Throw in Bankston and Isaiah Lee and that's still an extremely talented line.

Dline has generally been a positive the last 3 seasons so I won't expect a total washout there...very curious about the Oline situation and how it plays out.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Dline has generally been a positive the last 3 seasons so I won't expect a total washout there...very curious about the Oline situation and how it plays out.
I'm definitely more concerned about the O-line, however I like to think that the success they have had this year will carry over into next year with the new additions.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
KT wasn't bad, but #92 is the reason he didn't play more with Lima's injury. I think Johnson is our defensive MVP this year.

I have been so impressed with Johnson throughout his career, just a shame he doesn't have one more year without Lima in front of him. Made a great play to stop TX last week. Guy just sees things great and has enough speed to make the play.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Love this pickup, I thought I was pumped for the DL this season, pass the kool aid for next year. The Bailey injury was a bummer but it got some valuable PT for the younger guys and man does it set that defensive front for next season.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Bankston's initial comments about wanting to find a place where he can go 1 on 1 worried me. Thrilled to have him on board.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

DL is definitely losing some beef upfront with Lima and Johnson. I have doubts that anyone on the roster can hold the point of attack like those two can. Seems like they have a lot of disruptive pass rusher types, but no real space eaters. I guess we'll see if Bankston and Lee can fill that role. Don't know that I'd want Uwazarike in there on 3rd and 1. Still, they should have a nice rotation and DE with Bailey back should be dominant. It would be nice if the light went on for Josh Bailey in his final year. I see it as:

DE: Bailey/Peterson, McDonald, B. Peterson
NT: Bankston/Lee, Uwazarike, Bailey, Robertson
DE: Uwazarike/Peterson, Robertson, Suttle

OL, I feel like it's a good sign that they haven't went hard after JUCOs at this point. They must feel pretty good with what they have. There's two solid starters with experience in Downing and Newell. I think that Ramos steps right in at LT. RG is probably Hudson unless someone beats him out. RT is my big question mark. Does Foster take that step forward? Is Triebur ready? Or maybe Remsburg? On the inside, it will be interesting to see where Ross, Simmons, Hufford, Schweiger fit in.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It sounded like there's some good talent waiting in the wings.

It's almost like CMC had a plan.
The seniors playing the way they have is the best possible outcome for the oline. The guys in the waiting are probably good enough to play, but another year of growth and perfecting their craft is just what the doctor ordered. I am still concerned simply because we will be losing so many starts this season from the oline, but I think we will be as good next season with potential to be better as they mature as a group.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm definitely more concerned about the O-line, however I like to think that the success they have had this year will carry over into next year with the new additions.

Definitely. A lot of kids have had developmental time within the system, so I think the situation couldn't be more different than when we had to replace a bunch a couple years ago.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Definitely. A lot of kids have had developmental time within the system, so I think the situation couldn't be more different than when we had to replace a bunch a couple years ago.
Absolutely. We're not rebuilding with the guys we have, rather reloading with guys that know the system and have time within the established program. I'm not saying there won't be a drop off, especially right away, I just don't think it's going to be as big of a drop off. And who knows, maybe next year's group will be even better than this year's.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I have been so impressed with Johnson throughout his career, just a shame he doesn't have one more year without Lima in front of him. Made a great play to stop TX last week. Guy just sees things great and has enough speed to make the play.
I think Johnson has made a better case for the NFL this year than Lima. Not saying one is better than the other, they do different things exceptionally well, but Johnson has more the skill set that NFL wants. Lima might develop some better moves to penetrate more often but beating a double team in the NFL is something about 4 or 5 people on the planet can manage.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Welcome aboard Latrell.

We play KU this weekend, I'm expecting to see a lot young DL and OL players in the game. Hopefully we get a bit of a preview of things to come.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Bankston's initial comments about wanting to find a place where he can go 1 on 1 worried me. Thrilled to have him on board.
Doesn't worry me at all. If you are the best D-Lineman on the team, you are the going to be double teamed by the opponent. It doesn't matter what school he goes to.

Also, he committed to ISU this morning. What are you worried about?

Help Support Us

Become a patron