Latrell Bankston Commits

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I think this is an awesome pick up. He probably had more complimentary things to say about what we have to offer academically than anyone in quite a while. From how it appears, ended up at Hutchinson because of a lack of effort in the classroom. Seems like he's made quite a turnaround in that area since high school.

Here's a recruiting profile from HS. I think he's a guy who will flourish in our system...both in the classroom as well as on the field.

<<<Bankston has elite speed and agility measurements for a defensive tackle. He gets good leverage in the middle and has very quick swim move he uses to get around the lineman. The senior has worked hard in the weight room and increased his measurements across the board making himself into one of the best athletes on the defensive line in Georgia. He is really light on his feet which allows him to change direction quickly and make a play in the backfield. Bankston lacks prototypical size but looks to have a frame where he could end up around 280-290. His production on the field at the defensive tackle position is close to being the best in Georgia. Grades have been the biggest thing that has held him back, but he’s increased his GPA a little over the last year, and that got a few local schools to offer. Bankston is one of the biggest sleepers in Georgia.>>>

https://recruitgeorgia.com/players/latrell-bankston-dt-woodstock/

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Doesn't worry me at all. If you are the best D-Lineman on the team, you are the going to be double teamed by the opponent. It doesn't matter what school he goes to.

Also, he committed to ISU this morning. What are you worried about?

You didn't read my quote correctly.

He commented a couple months ago about what he was looking for in a school and he mentioned that he was looking for a place that he could get 1 on 1 match ups. That doesn't sound like what he would see at Iowa State thus I was worried we wouldn't be a contender to get his services.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I think Johnson has made a better case for the NFL this year than Lima. Not saying one is better than the other, they do different things exceptionally well, but Johnson has more the skill set that NFL wants. Lima might develop some better moves to penetrate more often but beating a double team in the NFL is something about 4 or 5 people on the planet can manage.
One thing is for sure. 'Holding', the likes of what Texas consistently did on him will be called in the NFL.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I think Johnson has made a better case for the NFL this year than Lima. Not saying one is better than the other, they do different things exceptionally well, but Johnson has more the skill set that NFL wants. Lima might develop some better moves to penetrate more often but beating a double team in the NFL is something about 4 or 5 people on the planet can manage.
I think there are some old school DC's that would love what Lima has to offer. But JJ has the sexier skill set. I feel Lima has that career path where he quietly contributes for 8 years where JJ has the higher draft status but gets over shadowed by the new shinier toy after 4 years. Nothing against JJ hope he is successful but just the style of play.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

brycy

Apr 11, 2006
If I am looking at stats correctly 11 sacks in 8 games. I know it is JC ball, but looks like JaQuan might hold the sack record when he gets it next year, just for a short time.
Yes, I am joking, but dare to dream about sacks from the interior.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Watched a little of his tape, I'm no expert... Reminds me of Desmond Tucker, which would be real nice. Considering the DL talent has improved, compared what we had to complement Desmond.

I was thinking Demond Tucker as well. Bankston is going to have way better players on either side of him (and behind him) than Tucker ever had though.

Reactions: isutrevman

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Love this pickup, I thought I was pumped for the DL this season, pass the kool aid for next year. The Bailey injury was a bummer but it got some valuable PT for the younger guys and man does it set that defensive front for next season.

What sucks is that we had a nice rotation going and after the injury, Peterson has had to play almost every down. It even took them a long time to pull him off of kickoff coverage. That kid has to be worn down...although he is a flat out beast. Luckily, with Bailey back next year, we'll have a rotation again at least.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What sucks is that we had a nice rotation going and after the injury, Peterson has had to play almost every down. It even took them a long time to pull him off of kickoff coverage. That kid has to be worn down...although he is a flat out beast. Luckily, with Bailey back next year, we'll have a rotation again at least.
You may be missing just how many snaps Will McDonald has been getting lately.

Could have at least a three man rotation at each end next season, once the redshirt freshmen join the party.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Some thoughts on the DT position under Campbell.

He didn't inherit a deep DL roster and the better players only had one year of eligibility left. Johnson was an under the radar gem in the first recruiting class. Both Rhoads and Campbell deserve credit for getting JJ to Iowa State. In addition, Campbell did a great job of upgrading the DE position from the onset.

The signing of Lima in year 2 can be considered one of the most influential additions in program history. His ability to be an anchor in the middle of the line allowed Heacock to transform an ineffective 4-3-4 defense into an innovative approach that gives the team an opportunity to win any game that they play. Lima's leadership and ability to change culture also has to be acknowledged. If the 4-3 would have been retained, Tongamoa likely would have been able to contribute more individually while team success would have probably suffered.

It's also important to accept that playing Johnson in his freshman year, even in a limited role, was absolutely the correct decision. Lima was not on the team at the time and might not have even been on the radar. Johnson could have been forced to assume a major role in year two even if he was not prepared to handle it at the time. Young players who have been in on game preparation and participation will almost always be ahead of the curve in offseason development compared to guys who redshirt and focus on scout team prep.

Fortunately Lima arrived to do his thing while Johnson was able to compliment him and develop over the next 3 years to be the player that he is today. Both Lima and Johnson are better players by sharing the position and being able to go full speed while they are in the game.

Both Lima and Johnson will likely be in NFL camps next summer. Johnson would probably be in one even if he were only a RS junior. Even if you could undo the past and have Johnson back for year 5, it probably would mean that Bankston would not be coming in for the next two years.

The situation next year will be different than in year one. Bankston, Lee, and Robertson can compete for reps while Singleton can be allowed to develop on a 5 year plan without being required to carry the load in year one or two.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The situation next year will be different than in year one. Bankston, Josh Bailey and Lee can compete for reps while Singleton can be allowed to develop on a 5 year plan without being required to carry the load in year one or two.
FIFY.

As I recall, Robertson lost some weight to better play end. I’d expect most of his reps (when not in a four man front) to come behind Enyi.

And the coaches have said more than once that the light started to come on for Josh this offseason.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I see singleton being the same type of player as Johnson. They look very similar on tape.