Liberty Bowl postgame thread

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Simmons also. Started as a redshirt freshman and then loses his starting job as a 5th year senior.
Simmons lost his spot because he couldn't count.

How may red zone false starts did he have? Either he was first or last off the line. He either went before the ball was snapped or was the last guy out of his stance and got trucked by the DT.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

TDclones

Nov 29, 2006
When are we ever going to realize the offensive line is where it is at! You can not have enough of them! To my knowledge, we have one O’lineman in the NFL and I believe he is on the practice squad at the Commanders. O’line, D’line is the engine that drives the train!! We need to be aggressive in the portal to shore these two area up! Otherwise I think it could be another 6-7 win season next year!

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
You still don't answer the question...what exactly should he say.

The original question is dumb. But he was asked the future of the program and he said it was bright.
He didn't say the future was bright, that is an opening for a follow-up question. He said "the future is as bright as IT (the future) wants to be." That's BS

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
1) Something that makes sense, the future will determine how bright it is?
2) Something that leads to improved performance by the team.
3) Something that gives fans reason for optimism. (All fans, not just those w/ no expectations.)

Whst does any of this actually do though?

CMC is just not very transparent and isn't going to be. That's how he operates.

I can't recall the last presser of his I watched.

TJ on the otherhand seems to be pretty blunt about players' needs without drsgging them so I tend to tune in a bit more there.

Reactions: Cyhops

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Yeah you do. And it's the same reason ISU is perceived to struggle with lesser opponents all the time. The staff believes, or maybe wants to believe, that they have a talent advantage over some teams and can beat those teams straight up by calling a simple game plan and limiting their own mistakes. They want every game to be phonebooth football, because it would mean our guys would be physically and technically better than the guys they face on the other side of the ball. But in reality it makes ISU easier to defend and gives opponents confidence that they only need to hit one or two big plays to have a shot at victory.
This is a geat observation. It's unnecessary stubbornness to accept and adapt to the fact that a "lesser" opponent can develop a successful game plan to counteract what Campbell is trying to do. IMO, unless Campbell can shed this overly-rigid perspective and become a better dynamic gametime strategist, his normal ceiling will be 7-8 wins, and when things cycle down, it will be like last year...and things will cycle down. Now go contrast this to the cycles that Gundy goes through OkSU.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
I guess that would be one of my postgame thoughts: What happened to the Sama from K-state? I think you might be on to something here. He seemed timid yesterday and I think always wants the biggest play he can get.

We had much bigger issues but, the way Sama plays is a concern for next year
Looks like Sama is waiting for the big hole to form, boom or bust approach.

Breece struggled early his 1st year then came on later that year. Sama didn't get the carries as much as Breece did so hope with more time he blows it up.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
You still don't answer the question...what exactly should he say.

The original question is dumb. But he was asked the future of the program and he said it was bright.
"We were heavily favored but lost by 10 points, we didn't coach or play well. We have work to do this off-season and we are committed to it. If we are successful in making the needed ongoing adjustments, our future as a program is very bright.

If not, there are plenty of gullible ISU fans that will always support us regardless of the outcome of games."

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
This is a geat observation. It's unnecessary stubbornness to accept and adapt to the fact that a "lesser" opponent can develop a successful game plan to counteract what Campbell is trying to do. IMO, unless Campbell can shed this overly-rigid perspective and become a better dynamic gametime strategist, his normal ceiling will be 7-8 wins, and when things cycle down, it will be like last year...and things will cycle down. Now go contrast this to the cycles that Gundy goes through OkSU.
This.

He plays Mt. Union style, no matter what.

Just assumes execution is the difference between a win and a loss.

ISU let a lesser opponent put up 530 yards and 36 points against them yesterday.

ISU had no sacks, 1 tackle for loss, and forced no turnovers.

ISU gave up 166 rushing yards, while rushing for zero yards.

ISU was favored by double digits, and lost by double digits.

There is a large contingent of fans on this site that not only find this acceptable, they will actually defend it.

All the problems we pointed out after the Ohio loss were just as evident yesterday.

$4 million dollars per year. For this.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I love Bowl Games, and I think they are important. I think winning the Liberty Bowl would have been really good for ISU and the Trophy Case.

However, I was neither surprised nor upset about yesterday's loss by ISU. As a fan, I do not underestimate G5 teams especially in their home stadium. While not a gambler, when I saw ISU -10.5, I figured that was an easy money win for whoever took Memphis.

As for the game itself. Memphis looked very prepared, and they have some really good athletes. They cared more, and it showed. Good on them. They should have been prepared and fired up, and they deserve the trophy.

As for ISU, at least they were entertaining. Rocco is such a stud, and I cannot wait to see him next year! At least, the game was fun to watch. Can you imagine being an Ohio State fan who trekked to the Cotton Bowl to smell that 3-14 rotten egg?

So, while finishing 7-6 again is kind of a drag, it sure beats the hell out of 6-5 (with no Bowl), 4-6-1, 3-7-1, 4-7, 3-8 and 0-10-1 that I sat through during the last 6 years of the Walden Era with NO HOPE (except for that slight glimmer of sunshine in 1989).

Looking forward to the new Big 12;
Let's win 8 in 2024;
Let's Go State!

Reactions: CyclonesRock

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
"We were heavily favored but lost by 10 points, we didn't coach or play well. We have work to do this off-season and we are committed to it. If we are successful in making the needed ongoing adjustments, our future as a program is very bright.

If not, there are plenty of gullible ISU fans that will always support us regardless of the outcome of games."

What do people think will happen if they don't support the program?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
This.

ISU let a lesser opponent put up 530 yards and 36 points against them yesterday.

There is a large contingent of fans on this site that not only find this acceptable, they will actually defend it.

All the problems we pointed out after the Ohio loss were just as evident yesterday.

It's funny because nobody has been quicker to call Campbell terrible after every single loss since Ohio, but then say how great of a coaching job he does after every win. @joefrog knows less about football than that toothless guy in Ohio, he can't comprehend that you can coach well and still lose. Every win means the game was coached well, every loss means Campbell is terrible.

We beat BYU so Campbell was great. We lost to KU so he was terrible. We beat KSU so Campbell is great, finally playing to win. If we lose our bowl game he's awful and was playing "CampbellBall". Bank it.
Called it!

Reactions: CyDude16

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This.

Did you think ISU was creative against TCU and KSU?

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
He didn't say the future was bright, that is an opening for a follow-up question. He said "the future is as bright as IT (the future) wants to be." That's BS
I don't have a problem with it. They just lost to a team they were expected to beat and got outplayed in several aspects of the game. It's hard to be sunshine and roses. But neither is it the character of CMC or this team to give up. There's still a bright future but they'll have to work for it. Get better, don't quit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron