Matt Campbell Watch

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I will be watching Campbell coaching the team back to another big12 CCG birth and winning it next season (maybe for a birth in the CFP even) then we go from there for the season after that with Campbell starting Dekkers at QB.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I will be watching Campbell coaching the team back to another big12 CCG birth and winning it next season (maybe for a birth in the CFP even) then we go from there for the season after that with Campbell starting Dekkers at QB.

Unless Purdy decides to use his free year.

Reactions: kcbob79clone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Unless Purdy decides to use his free year.

He'll have an NFL career. I don't think he'll be an elite NFL guy, but after 4 years of college, he'll be ready to go make some money. I picture him having a real similar career to Sage or Seneca, where he spends a decade in the league, makes a ton of money, and doesn't wreck his body.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He'll have an NFL career. I don't think he'll be an elite NFL guy, but after 4 years of college, he'll be ready to go make some money. I picture him having a real similar career to Sage or Seneca, where he spends a decade in the league, makes a ton of money, and doesn't wreck his body.

I've said it before but I'd take Chase Daniel's career in a heartbeat.
Undrafted in 2009.
Won a Super Bowl with the Saints.
Has thrown for about 1700 yards total.
Has made something like $35 million.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Being a 10 year backup NFL QB is not a bad gig. Usually make decent money and get the occasional chance to start and your body doesn't take a beating. If Purdy can cut down on the mistakes he made this season and add a consistent deep ball (some of this is on his WR and OL that need to create the opportunities to air it out once in awhile) I can see him getting drafted in the 2nd half of the draft as a developmental prospect. He's probably not going to be a guy that comes into an organization with expectations to be a franchise QB but if he continues to work on his game and maybe gets an opportunity due to an injury ahead of him you never know. I think the Sage and Chase Daniel comparisons are fair. Both got a few opportunities to be fill in starters in their careers and both were always regarded as a quality backup QB and compensated pretty well.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Being a 10 year backup NFL QB is not a bad gig. Usually make decent money and get the occasional chance to start and your body doesn't take a beating.

On the face I agree, but think this may be setting the comp bar a little low. Baker and Patrick are some of the stars of the league, granted the latter has some crazy intangilbes and talent in an ideal situation, but don't think Purdy aiming for a Baker type landing or production is unheard of.

Likewise, if Seneca came through the system ten years later think it's possible he's much more in the ranks of Russell or Dak than journeyman backup. Game has changed and collegiate success carries a lot of water to the next level these days.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
On the face I agree, but think this may be setting the comp bar a little low. Baker and Patrick are some of the stars of the league, granted the latter has some crazy intangilbes and talent in an ideal situation, but don't think Purdy aiming for a Baker type landing or production is unheard of.

Likewise, if Seneca came through the system ten years later think it's possible he's much more in the ranks of Russell or Dak than journeyman backup. Game has changed and collegiate success carries a lot of water to the next level these days.

Gotta have a long ball over the top and neither Purdy or Seneca have/had that or at least consistently.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I still wonder what kind of NFL career Seneca may of had if he had just switched to WR. Seattle used him at WR a few times for some trick plays, even remember watching 1 game where he came in and lined up at WR and the other team called time out because of it. Also wonder what would of happened had Minnesota never traded for Favre as Sage was originally brought in to be the starter there. It's all about opportunities in the NFL and a perfect example is Tom Brady. Drafted in the 6th round, 199 overall and Drew Bledsoe gets hurt and well the rest is history. Jacksonville likely will draft Trevor Lawrence but look at the opportunity Gardner Minshew got as a starter as a 6th round pick/178 overall after Nick Foles got hurt and basically was a bust for the Jags. He likely will get a chance to start again somewhere in his career I bet.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I've said it before but I'd take Chase Daniel's career in a heartbeat.
Undrafted in 2009.
Won a Super Bowl with the Saints.
Has thrown for about 1700 yards total.
Has made something like $35 million.

Career earnings of $37,809,164.

He's been paid $26,439.97 per yard or $173,436.53 per attempt.

For comparison, Tom Brady...

$261,791,804 career earnings

$2,889.79 per yard

$21,416.21 per attempt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Career earnings of $37,809,164.

He's been paid $26,439.97 per yard or $173,436.53 per attempt.

For comparison, Tom Brady...

$2,889.79 per yard

$21,416.21 per attempt

Sports reference said he's inching toward 1,700 yards.

Swimmin' in cash!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Sports reference said he's inching toward 1,700 yards.

Swimmin' in cash!

I was using Wikipedia. The difference is probably yards this season.

Still. I'd like to get paid that for shot-putting a football once.

Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was using Wikipedia. The difference is probably yards this season.

Still. I'd like to get paid that for shot-putting a football once.

Yeah I saw him at some point throwing a few out patterns in some game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Being a 10 year backup NFL QB is not a bad gig. Usually make decent money and get the occasional chance to start and your body doesn't take a beating. If Purdy can cut down on the mistakes he made this season and add a consistent deep ball (some of this is on his WR and OL that need to create the opportunities to air it out once in awhile) I can see him getting drafted in the 2nd half of the draft as a developmental prospect. He's probably not going to be a guy that comes into an organization with expectations to be a franchise QB but if he continues to work on his game and maybe gets an opportunity due to an injury ahead of him you never know. I think the Sage and Chase Daniel comparisons are fair. Both got a few opportunities to be fill in starters in their careers and both were always regarded as a quality backup QB and compensated pretty well.
The most valuable asset in a back up quarterback is the head. You are smart enough to run whatever offense the opposing team runs so you can be valuable as a scout team QB. You grasp and can execute whatever your game plan is for the week with very few reps running it. And you understand the game and the league well enough that you can mentor young bucks coming into the league and show them the ropes. Sage had all of these and that is why he got paid for so long.

Don't get me wrong, you still have to be able to make the throws, but if you don't have the head right, you aren't going to last very long.