McDowell and Bell off team?

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Thanks. I didn't even know they were brothers. DeAndre was one of my favorite players here.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I can see why these guys are a little upset if playing time has anything to do with it. All four of our games have essentially been over with 10 minutes to go and McDowell has barely (if at all) played and Bell has played very little. CPR should have thrown these guys a bone or two and let them get some more reps. We're going to need these guys in Big 12 play when we see real passing attacks. We're an injury or two away in the secondary from being completely screwed.

Huge blow to our team IMO.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Don't know if posted and I do not have a link but I have heard that they both quit.

Anyone else hear of this??

I assume both left for playing time issues if true.

Certainly it's their decision to leave the team, but I guess I don't get why you would quit mid-season if you plan to transfer to a new school. As others mentioned, both are probably one injury away from getting a lot more PT.

Stay in the program, work hard, and then decide your future after the season.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I can see why these guys are a little upset if playing time has anything to do with it. All four of our games have essentially been over with 10 minutes to go and McDowell has barely (if at all) played and Bell has played very little. CPR should have thrown these guys a bone or two and let them get some more reps. We're going to need these guys in Big 12 play when we see real passing attacks. We're an injury or two away in the secondary from being completely screwed.

Huge blow to our team IMO.

If they have been passed up by an undersizes true freshman then we probably won't miss them too much. Well, unless that freshman was 'handed' a spot, right Monty?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
To borrow a quote from our wrestling coach, I want players how are "all in" These guys obviously aren't so while unfortunate, I'm not sad about it.

With all the changes in coaching staff's the last few year, I'm a little surprised we haven't had more turnover. If this was year 4 or 5 of Coach Rhoads tenure, my eyebrows might go up a little more.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
To borrow a quote from our wrestling coach, I want players how are "all in" These guys obviously aren't so while unfortunate, I'm not sad about it.

With all the changes in coaching staff's the last few year, I'm a little surprised we haven't had more turnover. If this was year 4 or 5 of Coach Rhoads tenure, my eyebrows might go up a little more.
+10 Im surprised how basically no one left and yes we lost a few recruits but Rhoads held most of them in

drunkincy

Sep 2, 2009

Agreed. I think we are fine.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Honestly, I don't blame them. I think it is somewhat plain to seet that the tipping pont was probalby KB getting the start last Saturday after the events of the proceeding week. I am sure (AB at least) felt that this could be his shot at showing the coaches what he can do in a game, but instead he had to sit back and watch KB's at times spotty defense.

Another thing that I think people overlook is the time these guys put in, be it starters or the back-up long snapper. They devote a huge portion of their time to football, and I would imagine it to be very frustrating to feel like all the time you put in is to get a good seat for the game.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
While 40's mean little, I would bet a large amount of money that Bell is faster than Banks. And I also think that Mcdowell is shifty (more important at times than straight line speed). I really think they should have gotten a little more PT but to quit in the middle of the season is cowardly

Banks has not played at a high level this season, but Allen Bell is most definitely not better than Banks. I'd also put a list of guys ahead of him and apparently, so has the coaching staff. I'd find it hard to believe Bell is not playing simply because of class related issues. Otherwise, Banks would not have started Saturday either.

McDowell disappoints. No, I'm not happy he would quit midseason. I can also understand a kid wanting to play and if it's not happening here, to seek other options. I'm just surprised he didn't see the field much at all. I know he's not the fastest guy, but over the past couple years I thought he was usually around the football when given opportunities.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
If they have been passed up by an undersizes true freshman then we probably won't miss them too much. Well, unless that freshman was 'handed' a spot, right Monty?

Bell's played in all 4 games on special teams so someone needs to slide into his spot. McDowell has only seen action in one game.

One other point is that the situation with Banks last week might explain their timing, although it doesn't justify it. They likely got their hopes up for more playing time only to be handed a dose of more of the same. It's easy to always preach what's best for the team, but every kid still has dreams of contributing on the field. The ones that stick it out through tough times almost never regret it, but it isn't always that easy to do.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I did some checking into this and from what I've been told, it's all true. McDowell quit due to playing time. Bell walked out of an early morning punishment. Again, that's what I've been told. Nothing concrete with quotes that I will write a story with. I'm going to post a blog later this afternoon and I'll try to give some more thoughts on this topic.

Last edited:

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
Honestly, I don't blame them. I think it is somewhat plain to seet that the tipping pont was probalby KB getting the start last Saturday after the events of the proceeding week. I am sure (AB at least) felt that this could be his shot at showing the coaches what he can do in a game, but instead he had to sit back and watch KB's at times spotty defense.

Another thing that I think people overlook is the time these guys put in, be it starters or the back-up long snapper. They devote a huge portion of their time to football, and I would imagine it to be very frustrating to feel like all the time you put in is to get a good seat for the game.

Into each life some rain must fall.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Banks has not played at a high level this season, but Allen Bell is most definitely not better than Banks. I'd also put a list of guys ahead of him and apparently, so has the coaching staff. I'd find it hard to believe Bell is not playing simply because of class related issues. Otherwise, Banks would not have started Saturday either.

McDowell disappoints. No, I'm not happy he would quit midseason. I can also understand a kid wanting to play and if it's not happening here, to seek other options. I'm just surprised he didn't see the field much at all. I know he's not the fastest guy, but over the past couple years I thought he was usually around the football when given opportunities.

I didn't say better. I said faster. And like I said, that doesn't really matter. I was more talking to the poster who said they run 4.7 40's and thus they suck

IMO, this is something that Rhoads needs to learn from. One of your jobs as a head coach is keeping everybody happy to a certain extent. At Iowa State we don't have 4 or 5 star recruits so we have to build depth and we can't do that if guys are leaving every 2 to 3 years because they are not getting PT.

To anybody who says this isn't a big blow....you are crazy. With OSU, Mizzou, Kansas, and A&M's passing games coming up, we need all the depth in the secondary we can get

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If Bell is gone basically due to disciplinary issues then I can live with that but I too am disappointed losing McDowell, I thought he showed some potential a few times last year. This is a big blow to the depth of the team, especially for a team who runs as much Nickel as we do...even against a team like Army.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
To anybody who says this isn't a big blow....you are crazy. With OSU, Mizzou, Kansas, and A&M's passing games coming up, we need all the depth in the secondary we can get

Completely with ya here. We have not been in the larger cornerback sets because we have not faced these offenses, yet. For a team without much depth as is to lose guys with experience is tough.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron