SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
The nighttime tornado outbreak produced a monster it seems

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
Just awful. Had a feeling that the 8+year EF5 drought was in jeopardy last night when I saw the hook on radar. Time will tell when the sun rises, but it certainly look to be EF4/Ef5.

This will likely be one of the deadliest tornadoes in our lifetime. The candle factory deaths alone would make it the deadliest since Joplin in 2011.

Last edited:

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I drive past the Edwardsville IL Amazon warehouse frequently. Massive structure. At least 2 dead. So sad all the death and destruction.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
These events in generally poor areas like OK, KY, MO, S. IL, West TN, etc always brings me back to the evacuate or shelter in place debate. If someone can’t get underground in the path of an ef4 or ef5 and they take a direct hit, they aren’t going to make it.

I just can’t live with myself knowing that I could have gotten in my car and driven 10 minutes in a given direction and, while it’s taking a chance, I’d rather have my car totaled by hail and some minor injuries than to be holding on to plumbing in a bathroom at ground level while a monster comes through.

There was plenty of lead time on the main tornado that went for like 150 miles. I always think about this because my favorite broadcast tornado man Mike Morgan took so much heat for telling people to “get in their cars and get south” in front of the 2013 El Reno tornado that even killed experienced storm chasers.

Reactions: Drew0311

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
These events in generally poor areas like OK, KY, MO, S. IL, West TN, etc always brings me back to the evacuate or shelter in place debate. If someone can’t get underground in the path of an ef4 or ef5 and they take a direct hit, they aren’t going to make it.

I just can’t live with myself knowing that I could have gotten in my car and driven 10 minutes in a given direction and, while it’s taking a chance, I’d rather have my car totaled by hail and some minor injuries than to be holding on to plumbing in a bathroom at ground level while a monster comes through.

There was plenty of lead time on the main tornado that went for like 150 miles. I always think about this because my favorite broadcast tornado man Mike Morgan took so much heat for telling people to “get in their cars and get south” in front of the 2013 El Reno tornado that even killed experienced storm chasers.

Agree, if I’m without a basement and there is a big one on the ground coming towards me, I’m getting in the car and doing my best to get out of the path.

With a good basement I’ll stay put.

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
For those with more construction knowledge than I, why wouldn't you put basements in areas known for tornados? Maybe not the whole house, but at least a storm shelter? Or at least pour some extra concrete and build an above ground shelter room in your house.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
For those with more construction knowledge than I, why wouldn't you put basements in areas known for tornados? Maybe not the whole house, but at least a storm shelter? Or at least pour some extra concrete and build an above ground shelter room in your house.
Basements are only asking for water to make its way in. If I were to build a house it won't have a basement but a storm room built from thick concrete walls and ceiling. It would probably be a walk in closet. And if a basement for some reason was the only option it would be very minimal. Nothing down there but maybe the utilities.

Reactions: isutrevman

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Agree, if I’m without a basement and there is a big one on the ground coming towards me, I’m getting in the car and doing my best to get out of the path.

With a good basement I’ll stay put.
FEMA has given a lot of money over the years for storm shelters. Many towns have built community stuff, like auditoriums, swimming pools (the pool house), municipal buildings, etc that were aided by govt grants to provide storm shelters in these situations.

Obviously two issues with these is the person being able to get there and the person in charge of opening it getting moving and getting there (that happened in this town once. Person spaced off it was their job).

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
$$$$$. People don’t live in trailers because they want to.