Monster tornado

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Was following Ryan Hall on YouTube last night, I’ve never in my lifetime ever witnessed on radar a hook echo for that many hours and miles with those type wind speeds. That tornado missed people I know by 2 miles!! It’s sad and prayers go out to em. My mom does have friends/ people she knows in Mayfield and haven’t heard from em yet.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Cost and soil conditions.

This right here^^^. And the fact the odds of this happening to any exact area are just above zero. A plethora of F5's plowing through the wheat fields of Kansas in the spring make for good storm chasing material. But that's about it. It's when they go through populated areas that make you realize just how powerful they are.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
FEMA has given a lot of money over the years for storm shelters. Many towns have built community stuff, like auditoriums, swimming pools (the pool house), municipal buildings, etc that were aided by govt grants to provide storm shelters in these situations.

Obviously two issues with these is the person being able to get there and the person in charge of opening it getting moving and getting there (that happened in this town once. Person spaced off it was their job).
The summer camp I was a director at had a major tornado move through in the early 2000s. They were able to obtain a FEMA grant and build tornado shelters for the campers.

This is one of the newer ones with a solar panel for some basic lighting inside. The older ones are just dark. They get used every summer, usually 2 to 3 times. Severe thunderstorms that aren't tornadic but have strong winds are the most common, and if you're living in a tent for the week, this is a good place to be safe.

Mar 21, 2021
Here's amazing footage of the EF4 that passed 4-5 miles west of us near Albert Lea 11 years ago. Two years ago, having coffee at McDonald's I met a man who survived it, heard his incredible tale. His house was blown away, he and wife went airborne into the fields, she didn't make it. He miraculously survived.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The summer camp I was a director at had a major tornado move through in the early 2000s. They were able to obtain a FEMA grant and build tornado shelters for the campers.

This is one of the newer ones with a solar panel for some basic lighting inside. The older ones are just dark. They get used every summer, usually 2 to 3 times. Severe thunderstorms that aren't tornadic but have strong winds are the most common, and if you're living in a tent for the week, this is a good place to be safe.
Looks like an easy place to meet up with sweet coed counselor late at night.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Here's amazing footage of the EF4 that passed 4-5 miles west of us near Albert Lea 11 years ago. Two years ago, having coffee at McDonald's I met a man who survived it, heard his incredible tale. His house was blown away, he and wife went airborne into the fields, she didn't make it. He miraculously survived.

Did that hit Conger and Kiester? Remember driving mom up in that area since I grew up 2 miles from MN.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

HHCSR?

I worked there for 3 summers myself back in the early 2000's. :)

Eagle Scout and Yellow Duty OA FWIW.

Reactions: Entropy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
For those with more construction knowledge than I, why wouldn't you put basements in areas known for tornados? Maybe not the whole house, but at least a storm shelter? Or at least pour some extra concrete and build an above ground shelter room in your house.

Grew up in eastern Iowa in a house without a basement. We'd go to the neighbors' and hang in their basement when the sirens sounded. If they weren't home we'd wait and if it got really bad we'd pile into coat closet in the middle of the house. Not fun.

Mar 21, 2021
Did that hit Conger and Kiester? Remember driving mom up in that area since I grew up 2 miles from MN.
It sure did. Skirted past Conger before it got giant. Not sure, but I think that water tower that makes an appearance at 4:30 in may be the Conger tower. Around 8:30 in is I believe around when this man I knew was sent airborne, not long before the twister abated as it crossed over I-90. I drove the path of the storm in 2011 and saw numerous homes under repair and replacement.

Last edited:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My sisters house in CR doesn’t have a basement. It is two blocks from MMU so I am guessing it was built in the 50s.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
why wouldn't you put basements in areas known for tornados?

The frost line plays a key role. Water and sewer line service needs to come into the house below the frost line. This forces the need for deep foundations in the North.

Although we use basements as tornado shelters, I don't think very many warm climate buyers are willing to pay an additional $25,000+ for a basement in order to avoid a 1 in X thousand chance of getting obliterated by a tornado.

H