***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’m just saying there should be a clear and known distinction for actual tornadoes vs radar indicated

There is. Pink filled in box vs red box. This whole discussion is ridiculous because tornadoes happen at night and can be impossible to see.

“No one sees it so it’s not there” is some pretty flat earth level of thinking.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Radar was glitching showing how long before storms to my sw get here. Seemed to be skipping. Read a warning. Moving at 70mph. Oh.No glitch.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I’m just saying there should be a clear and known distinction for actual tornadoes vs radar indicated
Go read SPC reports after the fact if that's what you care about. Telling people there's a tornado when it's already hitting them isn't exactly helpful. Folks in this thread are trying to set tornado warnings back by 40 years.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
They had a tornado warning for Hazleton this afternoon where we live when there clearly was not one. If there was an actual tornado our response would have absolutely been different.

Whether the tornado was spotted by a spotter or spotted by radar, you should be seeking shelter either way. You don't always have the luxury of someone seeing the tornado and calling it in. So no, the response should not be different.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Tornadoes can be rain wrapped, occur over sparsely populated areas, broken terrain, or you know, occur at night all of which make getting visual reports difficult.
August 28th, 1990. Plainfield tornado. There is no actual video of this EF5 tornado that killed 29 people and injured 353 because it was rain wrapped. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there was the ability back then to determine a "radar indicated" tornado. The tornado touched down at 3:15p, and the first warning wasn't issued until a few minutes later.

So yeah, if there's a radar indicated tornado and I'm possibly in the path, I'm seeking shelter.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: BigCyFan and JP4CY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Go read SPC reports after the fact if that's what you care about. Telling people there's a tornado when it's already hitting them isn't exactly helpful. Folks in this thread are trying to set tornado warnings back by 40 years.
People should absolutely be alerted to a severely increased likelihood.

If the NWS treats it as the same thing as an actual tornado, people will naturally take the warning less seriously.

Reactions: Raiders70

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
People are starting to see it as crying wolf. That’s a problem. A distinction alleviates that.

You might be right, but you aren’t taking real basic human nature into account.

Or that "distinction" might cause them to ignore the radar-indicated ones and not treat it with the same seriousness necessary.

Just because some idiots might view it as "crying wolf" doesn't mean we should do everything to cater to that subset.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Or that "distinction" might cause them to ignore the radar-indicated ones and not treat it with the same seriousness necessary.

Just because some idiots might view it as "crying wolf" doesn't mean we should do everything to cater to that subset.
They’re already ignoring it. If you don’t see that as a problem, I guess you don’t.