*** Official IOWA STATE vs Iowa Game(Day) THREAD ***

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
At halftime I went to the garage to lift and stream Walters/Heft. I finished up right after our TD but we were playing better so I just stayed out there and did a few more accessories. After the apparent strip-sack I thought it was over so I went to get the mail. When I got back into the garage I heard them saying Iowa will set up for the game tying FG and I about lost my ****. My wife kept the game on TV inside so I ran in and rewound the DVR to see what the hell I'd missed.
I did somewhat similar with our goal to go that netted no pts.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I’ve seen or heard multiple people who know more than me (including Brunsie) say that the problem was the protection scheme.

I have a feeling that will be fixed in short order.

In the meantime…did you notice what a big leg Perkins has?!!
I've felt for awhile our ST blocking is essentially stand still a d try to make guys get around you. Seen it a lot on GF where guys essentially block by standing up/only with their body. Whe guys jump the gaps and get pressure

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I feel dirty for doing so, but reading through Hox game thread, someone comments that Vodka Sam BAC is higher than Petras's yards per completion.

• Informative
Reactions: Kinch

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I feel dirty for doing so, but reading through Hox game thread, someone comments that Vodka Sam BAC is higher than Petras's yards per completion.

At least vodka sam learned and improved from her experience.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
There is only one team in the nation that has more punts than points for the season. Yeah, you guessed it.

Good thing their punter is All American.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
After watching the game last night, I just want to highlight Will McDonald. He again didn't get a sack, but his mere existence on the field made everything else possible for Iowa State's front seven. Heacock kept moving him around, dropping him into coverage, and forcing all of Iowa's linemen and tight ends to think about where he was. I saw more than a few plays where McDonald lined up over the center, but then dropped into coverage, leaving two Iowa interior offensive linemen just standing there, while Anderson, Onyedim, Reeder, or others got more open lanes to Petras. McDonald also disrupted a couple passes when he either was in short coverage or when he knew he wasn't getting to Petras. He played very within himself, being a pass rushing decoy for a lot of the game (until the final drives) while contributing in other ways.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
After watching the game last night, I just want to highlight Will McDonald. He again didn't get a sack, but his mere existence on the field made everything else possible for Iowa State's front seven. Heacock kept moving him around, dropping him into coverage, and forcing all of Iowa's linemen and tight ends to think about where he was. I saw more than a few plays where McDonald lined up over the center, but then dropped into coverage, leaving two Iowa interior offensive linemen just standing there, while Anderson, Onyedim, Reeder, or others got more open lanes to Petras. McDonald also disrupted a couple passes when he either was in short coverage or when he knew he wasn't getting to Petras. He played very within himself, being a pass rushing decoy for a lot of the game (until the final drives) while contributing in other ways.
I love him in the Joker position. Along with the worry it brings to offensive line assignments, having a tall athletic guy like that drop back like that has to be disruptive of a lot of things that the offense may want to try across the middle.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
The Colorado quarterback is next to last in QBR for P5 at 13.8. Petras is FOUR times worse at 3.8.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Just re watched highlights.....I forgot how we out of the gate looked like we were going the game away (blocked punt, fumble into the end zone).....and how at the end we basically almost had it stolen. Loved the win....but would have loved to stomp them.

Yep, sometimes this time of year I forget what happened last year, lol.