*** Official IOWA STATE vs Iowa Game(Day) THREAD ***

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
That was as fun as an enema
But then the test results came back negative! And all is good! LOL
run blocking was my biggest fear from last week and I was happy to see us get a few good runs especially on that 11 min drive.
And Brock got some game! Breece be good. Brock be pretty good too!

So far I like what I'm seeing. We are primed to bust a couple of long runs soon.
So lets’s go back to the middle of the 2nd quarter and read what I posted when it was still 7-0 and we had just fumbled at the goal line.

"Not to worry. Two stupid things have happened to us and without that we've got at least 3-0 lead. But we're now outplaying them on both sides of the ball. So without a short field to work Iowa hasn't scored. And without a fumble we do score. So pull back and look at the 10,000 foot view...we're good.”

To which a bunch of negative nellies couldn’t accept it and thought we would still lose. You just have to have a bigger view.

We were ugly ourselves at times but still outplayed them except for four plays. We even outplayed their great defense to a degree. Mark that 99 yard drive down as legendary.

**I'll edit this to add that if there was anybody here that thought we might go out and get 4-5 scores on these guys you were dreaming. They have a great defense. And the fact that we could stick 99 yards on them is pretty amazing. Statistically when drives start with 90 or more yards to go the offense only scores about 6% of the time. I've seen that stat before.
I'm glad all our fans are not always negative. Being positive makes for a better experience, IMO, even if things don't go the way you want.

The biggest turnaround I think I remember, when a bunch of negative nellies were chirping during the game and I stayed positive, was the OU game in 2020. Hell of a comeback, that one!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I like how they hyped up Riley Moss as a guy who should be in the NFL but only stayed to get better at his craft and then X putting on a demonstration about what happens to him when he tries to check an NFL caliber WR.
Yeah, if you're going to grab a receiver's arm, make sure he's not jacked enough to throw you to the ground wrenching that arm away :cool:

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah, if you're going to grab an receiver's arm, make sure he's not jacked enough to throw you to the ground wrenching that arm away :cool:
Moss is a good college CB but X is so good. I don’t people realize how good he is. He will probably leave here going 3/3 as a first team all conference WR.

Enjoy watching him guys. You are watching the guy that will probably leave ISU as the best WR in the history of the program.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Since when do visitors need to stand in the tunnel for the national anthem?
I think it was our strategic decision. We waited in the tunnel during the NA, and then came out during the military flyover, meaning the hawkeye fans wouldn’t/couldn’t “boo” our entrance, lest they would appear to be booing the flyover/military. Just a thought?

Reactions: Cloneon

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I understand that players did make mistakes. However manning does not put our 1st year starter QB is very good situations at times.
Fumble at the 1 - we have a long strong QB why not sneak from under center. That’s his call
2nd INT - you just ran for 14 yards on the first play then threw the ball 3 times putting him in a tough spot and you’re right he made a bad decision but once again that’s your play calling putting him in tough spots.
Dude. So you want to get rid of Manning? We get it. Iowa had something to do with what happened there. Nobody has a crystal ball. Sure you can be a 'day after' analyst and that's fine.

Realize one thing. Iowa D = very good, and Iowa State does not have superior recruiting and never will.

You, and some Cyclone fans just need to realize what we have. Be comfortable with it. It will not be perfect. With a new OC, it will not be perfect.

OK?

• Friendly
Reactions: Aclone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Definitely out performed them in every way other than blocked punts.
Those nasty blocked punts. On both of them I was just wishing for a little more urgency. Get rid of the damn thing! Especially against Iowa.

It was almost the only thing that kept them in it.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I wish I was enjoying it more. Relief more than anything.
The defense played very well against a poor offense.
I called the blocked punt(s) after last week, something to work on.
Brock did very well, despite the TO, he was the bright spot on O with Hutch.
Dekkers remains a question mark, until he has more experience. maybe some will tap the brakes on all the @#$& riding of him until we see more.
Hunter has done nothing but exceed expectations in my opinion. Very high ceiling, and is quickly gaining the experience necessary to be great.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Those nasty blocked punts. On both of them I was just wishing for a little more urgency. Get rid of the damn thing! Especially against Iowa.

It was almost the only thing that kept them in it.
I’ve seen or heard multiple people who know more than me (including Brunsie) say that the problem was the protection scheme.

I have a feeling that will be fixed in short order.

In the meantime…did you notice what a big leg Perkins has?!!

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I feel like he might get the 3-4 yard runs more frequently than Breece, or that’s offensive line improvement.

Those 70 yard Breece game breakers were gold when offense was struggling though.

Breece would have broke a couple with the initial holes Jirehl was getting with his vision and ability to get to full speed quickly

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
The 99 yard drive was beautiful. I had no idea how the game would go. Petras could’ve thrown multiple TD’s or we win by 40 total toss up. We won monkey off the back and work on those shoot self in foot mistakes and we’ll be just fine.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hunter has done nothing but exceed expectations in my opinion. Very high ceiling, and is quickly gaining the experience necessary to be great.

The quick release and just getting the ball where it needs to go quickly are beyond what I thought he was going to do.

I don't know how anyone could see him as 'question marks' on his general results alone, and then after engineering that drive in that kind of environment in game 2.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Turns out SDSU, who nearly beat Iowa, isn’t all that great. Beat 0-2 UC Davis by only 2 pts.

And UC Davis lit up SDSU’s defense for 278 yds through the air and 3 passing TDs. How did Iowa do through the air against SDSU again??

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
People underestimate how hard it is to get over any hump. You typically have to fight through the adversity all while not having the confidence it actually can be done.

Interesting story, never in the history of mankind did a person run a 4 minute mile before it was done. The 2nd guy to do it did it something like 2 weeks later.

The mind is a strange thing. That being said I expect it to be a bit easier next year, definitely much cleaner.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
People underestimate how hard it is to get over any hump. You typically have to fight through the adversity all while not having the confidence it actually can be done.

Interesting story, never in the history of mankind did a person run a 4 minute mile before it was done. The 2nd guy to do it did it something like 2 weeks later.

The mind is a strange thing. That being said I expect it to be a bit easier next year, definitely much cleaner.

Not just getting over the hump of beating a team but getting over the hump of a bunch of **** going wrong vs. that team and finding a way.