***Official ISU Bowl Predictions***

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Perhaps the Liberty Bowl passes on ISU in favor of an SEC - AAC matchup? Memphis vs Tennessee would be an excellent draw for them.
I don’t think they are allowed to with the tie ins. They can pick from the Big 12 teams but they have to pick a Big 12 team.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
247 is reporting the Cheez-It Bowl is likely to get Air Force, and if only one Big 12 team makes a NY6 game, the likely opponent is either Iowa State or Oklahoma State.

Air Force is actually a good team and we wouldn’t be favored by very much.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
247 is reporting the Cheez-It Bowl is likely to get Air Force, and if only one Big 12 team makes a NY6 game, the likely opponent is either Iowa State or Oklahoma State.

Air Force is actually a good team and we wouldn’t be favored by very much.

That'd be awesome. The strength coach for Air Force is Getty who was the strength coach at ISU when I was playing

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

They have to be assuming that the Pac-12 champ gets in the CFP. That's the only way that the Pac-12 will have a vacated bowl spot. Right now, the Pac-12 has 7 teams for 7 bowls.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
They have to be assuming that the Pac-12 champ gets in the CFP. That's the only way that the Pac-12 will have a vacated bowl spot. Right now, the Pac-12 has 7 teams for 7 bowls.

The Cheez-It would get a Mountain West team either by Utah winning and making the CFP or with Oregon winning and Utah getting the Cotton’s at-large spot.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The way I see it, the only way (or most likely way) ISU could get a bid to Cheez-It AND play a Pac-12 opponent is for Georgia to beat LSU and get the 4th playoff slot (thereby pushing both B12 and P12 downward). Is my assessment sound?

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

FrankDrebin

Jul 21, 2014
The way I see it, the only way (or most likely way) ISU could get a bid to Cheez-It AND play a Pac-12 opponent is for Georgia to beat LSU and get the 4th playoff slot (thereby pushing both B12 and P12 downward). Is my assessment sound?

Yes

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Oklahoma could lose to Baylor. Honestly that result wouldn’t shock me. At that point I could see OU fall to the Alamo maybe?

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
USA Today has Iowa State playing in the Texas Bowl against Toledo.

If that indeed happens, that could be a case where we can name the score against them.

I watched the Toledo - Central Michigan game last Friday, and CMU completely destroyed them 49-7. Toledo looked completely disinterested in playing, even though a victory would have given them a winning record and a better chance at a better bowl.

The story line of CMC coaching against his former program is an appealing one, I suppose.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
If that indeed happens, that could be a case where we can name the score against them.

I watched the Toledo - Central Michigan game last Friday, and CMU completely destroyed them 49-7. Toledo looked completely disinterested in playing, even though a victory would have given them a winning record and a better chance at a better bowl.

The story line of CMC coaching against his former program is an appealing one, I suppose.
Agree as long as the score is 49-45 in double OT because we so rarely win games by a comfortable margin.
J/k

FrankDrebin

Jul 21, 2014
Oklahoma could lose to Baylor. Honestly that result wouldn’t shock me. At that point I could see OU fall to the Alamo maybe?
Assuming BU wins and the same scenarios in reverse if OU wins...

1- If BU doesn’t make the playoff there’s two options:

A- OU is ranked high enough to get the at-large bid to the Cotton Bowl. This isn’t a pick by the Cotton, it’s purely who’s the highest ranked team after the other NY6 pick.

B- Alamo picks OU and thanks their lucky stars to get them

2- BU makes the playoff and OU goes to the Sugar.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
OU is ranked high enough to get the at-large bid to the Cotton Bowl. This isn’t a pick by the Cotton, it’s purely who’s the highest ranked team after the other NY6 pick.

Are you sure this is right? I thought they could pick any remaining team within the top 12 or 16 or whatever the rule was. But maybe that has changed.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt