***Official ISU Bowl Predictions***

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
If not Orlando I'm hoping for Phoenix. Houston wouldn't be terrible either as a change-up. Was there when we played TCU in bowl game. Hard to believe that's been like 14 years already.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If not Orlando I'm hoping for Phoenix. Houston wouldn't be terrible either as a change-up. Was there when we played TCU in bowl game. Hard to believe that's been like 14 years already.
It was crazy seeing the height comparison of that stadium and the Astrodome across the street.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
OU Sugar and BU Alamo. Hopefully Texas loses to Baylor and finishes 7-5. We go 8-4 and head to the Camping World Bowl vs Notre Dame.
What if Oklahoma State goes 8-4 though? I can see Orlando picking us over OSU even though they would have the head-to-head win against us. Do think we would travel better than them.

Now if Ok State beats OU and finishes 9-3 then we would probably be out of luck.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
OU Sugar and BU Alamo. Hopefully Texas loses to Baylor and finishes 7-5. We go 8-4 and head to the Camping World Bowl vs Notre Dame.
That would be nice, but I have a really hard time seeing Notre Dame going to the Camping world bowl with a 10-2 record. I don’t see them losing to BC or Stanford. I’d like a bowl game there with Virginia Tech though.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
That would be nice, but I have a really hard time seeing Notre Dame going to the Camping world bowl with a 10-2 record. I don’t see them losing to BC or Stanford. I’d like a bowl game there with Virginia Tech though.
Think I saw one projection having Notre Dame going to the Cotton Bowl and facing the Group of 5 "'winner".

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Orlando has wanted ISU for awhile. It’ll only happen with ISU at 8-4 though

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
What do we think is the most likely landing spot at this moment in time? Cheez It? Not the worst I suppose but the game starts pretty late at night

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If it's Houston, I could see A&M as the opponent. That game has had a team from Texas 8 of the last 9 years, and A&M's last appearance was in 2016.

If it's Phoenix, the question will be if the Pac-12 ends up with enough eligible teams. Cheez-It gets the #7 pick from the Pac-12 (which could be the #8 pick depending on Utah or Oregon bumping up). Right now, the Pac-12 only has 4 eligible teams, 4 more at 5-5, and the other 4 at 4-6.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If it's Houston, I could see A&M as the opponent. That game has had a team from Texas 8 of the last 9 years, and A&M's last appearance was in 2016.

If it's Phoenix, the question will be if the Pac-12 ends up with enough eligible teams. Cheez-It gets the #7 pick from the Pac-12 (which could be the #8 pick depending on Utah or Oregon bumping up). Right now, the Pac-12 only has 4 eligible teams, 4 more at 5-5, and the other 4 at 4-6.

First order of business is getting to 8-4 and let the chips fall, but your observation comes into play after that for sure. Between Texas & Cheez-It, Texas is more likely to involve P5 opponent, Cheez-It leans more toward high-end MWC as replacement for Pac-12.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Regarding Cheez It bowl match-up here is a good breakdown in this article how Pac 12 with just 1 mild upset (Arizona over ASU) could end up with only 5 bowl teams. In a crazy scenario they could have as many as 11 (very unlikely).

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
What if Oklahoma State goes 8-4 though? I can see Orlando picking us over OSU even though they would have the head-to-head win against us. Do think we would travel better than them.

Now if Ok State beats OU and finishes 9-3 then we would probably be out of luck.

If we finish 8-4 we are likely ranked and OSU at 8-4 likely is not (since they would still lose another game to get there, likely to OU). Also OSU was in the Camping World Bowl in 2017, so I doubt they would want to bring them back 2 out of 3 years when there is another choice with the same record, that's ranked, with a really strong track record of buying up bowl tickets.

So I think we have an inside track here if we go 8-4, unless Texas wins out to finish 8-4 as well, because they are just such a huge brand and would beat us out then I imagine.

Facing Notre Dame is more wishful thinking. The ACC's bowl selection goes like this:

*Winner to Orange Bowl.
*Next selection to Citrus Bowl only if Orange Bowl opponent is from B1G.
*Next selection to Camping World Bowl.

And they all get bumped up a notch if Clemson makes the playoff. So the Camping World will end up with anywhere from the ACC's #2 to #4 team. I'm guessing it will be a 9-3 team out of Virginia, Pitt, Virginia Tech, or Wake Forest. Maybe an 8-4 Miami.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My estimated, least-complicated path to Camping World:

1. ISU wins out (essential)
2. OU finishes 12-1, climbs into CFP
3. Baylor to Sugar Bowl (auto-bid)
4. Oklahoma State to Alamo [OSU a game behind Iowa State after loss to OU, but owns head-to-head vs. ISU, and ISU went to Alamo last season (depending how those details are assessed)]
5. Iowa State to Camping World

Last edited:

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I think LSU, Clemson, Ohio State are pretty much locks for CFP at this point. Does the winner of Oregon/Utah in the Pac 12 championship game beat out a one loss Big 12 champ in OU? I'm guessing so

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
My estimated, least-complicated path to Camping World:

1. ISU wins out (essential)
2. OU finishes 12-1, climbs into CFP
3. Baylor to Cotton Bowl (auto-bid)
4. Oklahoma State to Alamo [OSU a game behind Iowa State after loss to OU, but owns head-to-head vs. ISU, and ISU went to Alamo last season (depending how those details are assessed)]
5. Iowa State to Camping World

Wouldn't Baylor go to the Sugar Bowl in this scenario?

Help Support Us

Become a patron