***Official Super Bowl Game Thread***

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I am honestly not sure that really holds up. Most of the beef with the Chiefs all year is their talent is primarily O-line, TE, QB, and defense. They don't have receiver talent, but they more than make up for that with good QB, TE, and line play. The talent on the defensive side of the ball is fantastic (they could have better LB's, but that's it.

With Kittle, Debo, Greenlaw, and Feliciano (RG) all being injured or dealing with significant injuries this game, I honestly think Chiefs had the better healthy talent on the field on Sunday. Greenlaw's, Feliciano's, and Kittle's replacements all played devastatingly significant roles in the loss. Talent only matter when it's healthy and playing.
The Chiefs were without an All Pro guard the past couple of games and neither tackle is worth a damn. KC is great at center and guard when they are healthy, but they were not for the game.
Why is it that when KC needed a stop late in the game, they could get it or hold to a field goal, but SF with all that talent could not and allowed the Chiefs to go down and score to win the game? Why go away from the best RB in the league, and put it all on Purdy? It was poor coaching by the SF staff, hell, you never take the ball first in OT, because doing so just gives KC an extra down to make 10 yards. Many SF players said they did not know the rules, while the Chiefs players were stating they had gone over the OT rules before each playoff game and twice for their SB prep. That is on the SF coaching staff. Having better talent does not win when the other team with less talent has them well coached and ready to play.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
The Chiefs were without an All Pro guard the past couple of games and neither tackle is worth a damn. KC is great at center and guard when they are healthy, but they were not for the game.
Why is it that when KC needed a stop late in the game, they could get it or hold to a field goal, but SF with all that talent could not and allowed the Chiefs to go down and score to win the game? Why go away from the best RB in the league, and put it all on Purdy? It was poor coaching by the SF staff, hell, you never take the ball first in OT, because doing so just gives KC an extra down to make 10 yards. Many SF players said they did not know the rules, while the Chiefs players were stating they had gone over the OT rules before each playoff game and twice for their SB prep. That is on the SF coaching staff. Having better talent does not win when the other team with less talent has them well coached and ready to play.
You take the ball first in overtime because if both teams score the same on their first possession, the next point wins and you have the ball. If the Chiefs had to attempt a 4th down inside FG range, perhaps you'd have a point. The only 4th down they had was well outside FG range and it isn't certain the chiefs wouldn't make a similar gamble had they gotten the ball first. Now, should the 49ers went for it on 4th down from the 4 knowing that their defense wasn't full strength? Maybe. Either way, the only reason we are seeing this stupidity about OT decision-making is because they lost. Had they either scored a TD or held the chiefs to a FG then won on a FG, it's genius because they got the basketball equivalent of a 2-for-1.

You could say that the Chiefs could knowingly go for 2 if they scored a TD after a 49er TD, but then what's the point of criticizing? All that means is that the team that is aggressive and makes the plays wins - which is true regardless of who has the ball first.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You take the ball first in overtime because if both teams score the same on their first possession, the next point wins and you have the ball. If the Chiefs had to attempt a 4th down inside FG range, perhaps you'd have a point. The only 4th down they had was well outside FG range and it isn't certain the chiefs wouldn't make a similar gamble had they gotten the ball first. Now, should the 49ers went for it on 4th down from the 4 knowing that their defense wasn't full strength? Maybe. Either way, the only reason we are seeing this stupidity about OT decision-making is because they lost. Had they either scored a TD or held the chiefs to a FG then won on a FG, it's genius because they got the basketball equivalent of a 2-for-1.

You could say that the Chiefs could knowingly go for 2 if they scored a TD after a 49er TD, but then what's the point of criticizing? All that means is that the team that is aggressive and makes the plays wins - which is true regardless of who has the ball first.
If you're assuming both teams are going to score on their first possessions, which would be why you take the ball, then it still makes more sense to kick in my opinion. If you take the ball first you get the ball third from your own 25 to try to win the game with a FG or touchdown. If you kick first your winning opportunity is guaranteed to come from the 2 yard line on a two point conversion attempt.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

KC knew taking the field that they needed at least a FG to tie and a TD to win the game, the 9ers knew none of that. You never take the ball first in OT, never, that is why, you cannot assume that both teams will either score a TD or kick a field goal. You are not worrying about anything other than each team getting the ball, that is it. If SF was held on their first drive and forced to punt, then SF did the same to the Chiefs, neither team would have gained any advantage other maybe on field position. But knowing what you need to win or tie the game is huge, SF gave KC an extra down which changes everything in your play calling. You do not need to force things, because you now have 4 downs not 3 to pick it up.

Yes, since KC won it looks like a great decision, but even at the time, people were wondering what SF was doing taking the ball first. Shanahan said he was playing for the 3rd attempt to score, which is crazy, because there is not going to be a 3rd attempt, 2nd for the 9ers if the Chiefs get a TD. In OT you have to play to win now, not later in the OT.

• Agree
Reactions: RonBurgundy

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
KC knew taking the field that they needed at least a FG to tie and a TD to win the game, the 9ers knew none of that. You never take the ball first in OT, never, that is why, you cannot assume that both teams will either score a TD or kick a field goal. You are not worrying about anything other than each team getting the ball, that is it. If SF was held on their first drive and forced to punt, then SF did the same to the Chiefs, neither team would have gained any advantage other maybe on field position. But knowing what you need to win or tie the game is huge, SF gave KC an extra down which changes everything in your play calling. You do not need to force things, because you now have 4 downs not 3 to pick it up.

Yes, since KC won it looks like a great decision, but even at the time, people were wondering what SF was doing taking the ball first. Shanahan said he was playing for the 3rd attempt to score, which is crazy, because there is not going to be a 3rd attempt, 2nd for the 9ers if the Chiefs get a TD. In OT you have to play to win now, not later in the OT.
I can understand Shanahan did what he did. I heard that analytics guys across the league are split on what do do in the playoff OT games on whether to take it first or play defense first. Sounds like the Niners said the analytics told them to take the ball first.

I do think it is funny though that they changed the rules because the Chiefs beat the Bills with the old rules and after the game Mahomes said something to the effect of "what are they going to change rules to now" lol.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I didn't see the TV numbers posted here yet, averaged 123.4 million, 202.4 tuned in overall, about a 7% increase from last year.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I didn't see the TV numbers posted here yet, averaged 123.4 million, 202.4 tuned in overall, about a 7% increase from last year.

T Swizzle says you're welcome.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
'Taylor was in Japan before the game, any further away she would have been the Chicago Bears."
Annie Agar.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
It’s a defense based metric?
Not exactly, It's a metric that looks are each and every play of the game. Evaluates them based on down and distance and success rate, compares that to league average and adjusts for strength of the opponent.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not exactly, It's a metric that looks are each and every play of the game. Evaluates them based on down and distance and success rate, compares that to league average and adjusts for strength of the opponent.
Does it factor in if the other team had major injuries and such. Good example is Green Bay, they were down a lot of players throughout the year and were literally down to their last player at a position several times. I’m guessing it doesn’t put those nuances in there and is your typical computer based type metric.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
A friend of mine told me that there was a play on the Chiefs final drive of the 4th qtr, it was 1st and 10, Mahomes scrambled for a couple yards and was given another 1st down. Anyone notice that? The TV did show 1st down, but what happened on the field? Did the chains move? I was driving to work at the time and didn't see it.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
A friend of mine told me that there was a play on the Chiefs final drive of the 4th qtr, it was 1st and 10, Mahomes scrambled for a couple yards and was given another 1st down. Anyone notice that? The TV did show 1st down, but what happened on the field? Did the chains move? I was driving to work at the time and didn't see it.

I haven't been able to find a good video of it, but my understanding is Kelce got ~11 yards on a catch but they marked him at like 8 yards. CBS thought he got the first down too so they put 1st and 10 on the screen, but the chains did not move on the field, they still had 2nd down and 2 to go.
The next play, Mahomes scrambles for 2 years and goes out of bounds, and he gets the first down.

So on TV it looked like back to back first downs, even though Mahomes only got 2 yards, but on the field, everything was correct, other than maybe a bad spot on Kelce's catch.

• Informative
Reactions: demoncore1031

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron