Official UT postgame thread

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not a coincidence that the tackling is the worst against the two teams on our schedule with by far the most talent. On a positive, Vance came in and played well I thought.

As a whole on defense it's still hard to grasp how far ISU has come. On an already young defense with underclass men everywhere and even more forced into action due to key injuries, giving up 400 yard and 24 points to an offense that has been lighting it up is considered a huge disappointment.

Offensively as others have said the OL isn't there yet, but that's MCs calling card, and it is going to get there. Building consistent OL play from scratch at a developmental program takes years. It takes 2-3 years to fill the pipeline and a couple years to get them physically ready to play at a high level. I expect a big step forward each of the next two years.
Disappointed the offensive staff couldn't figure out ways to make UT pay for blitzing like the last three UT opponents have. After seeing TTU with Duffey do it I thought we had a good chance, but it just didn't happen.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Not a coincidence that the tackling is the worst against the two teams on our schedule with by far the most talent. On a positive, Vance came in and played well I thought.

As a whole on defense it's still hard to grasp how far ISU has come. On an already young defense with underclass men everywhere and even more forced into action due to key injuries, giving up 400 yard and 24 points to an offense that has been lighting it up is considered a huge disappointment.

Offensively as others have said the OL isn't there yet, but that's MCs calling card, and it is going to get there. Building consistent OL play from scratch at a developmental program takes years. It takes 2-3 years to fill the pipeline and a couple years to get them physically ready to play at a high level. I expect a big step forward each of the next two years.
Disappointed the offensive staff couldn't figure out ways to make UT pay for blitzing like the last three UT opponents have. After seeing TTU with Duffey do it I thought we had a good chance, but it just didn't happen.

That was the most depressing thing I think.

Either Brock was not reading the blitz well or he didn't have effective options to deal with it. Both are on the coaching staff.

A lot of room for improvement, Big 12 defenses are adjusting to take away the things that Purdy does well, and how ISU re-adjusts will be critical.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
Glad I refrained from commenting until I slept on it and cooled off. This is one of those games where the raw talent gap was on display in the trenches, particularly on offense. We aren't outmatched at the skill positions though, so that's definitely progress. We were due for a game like this. On to the next one. Let's slay that damn vampire next week.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
Sometimes I just wish ISU would simply get to the line, and run the play instead of all the shifting. Especially if the play call is a simple ineffective dive on 1st down.

While I agree with this sentiment, I think the reality is that we need to have our blocking matchups set perfectly for us to be successful on any given run play if our back doesn't break 3-4 tackles. If our line improves next year we might be able to get away from that more.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
What last night showed is that Iowa State is not ready to compete on a big time level. We got outclassed in every area of the game by a team that really is not that much better, if any. A lot of that is on coaching IMO

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I blame Campbell for switching it up and wearing a red shirt instead of white. White shirts = wins, it's as simple as that.

giphy.gif

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This felt a LOT like the TOE game IMO.

We came in with a certain gameplan, and when Texas was blitzing us on nearly every down, we never strayed from our gameplan..... even though it wasn't working at all. TOE did the same thing, and it was like we had no idea how to beat a blitz, so we just kept running the same offense into a brick wall and made no adjustments.

And when you watch that on TV, it gives the impression like you aren't even "trying" to win the game. What you're doing isn't working, but you are either too stubborn or too dumb to try something else.

I will cry with joy the next time a team brings it's LBs on a blitz and we run our TE or slot WR on a quick slant over the middle into the area vacated by the LBs for an easy 10-15 yd gain. Or let the blitz come, just chip them a bit, and set up a screen. But we NEVER do those things. They bring all out blitzes and we still have our QB dropping back into the pocket and waiting for long outside passes to the sideline to develop and getting our QB killed.

Aaron Rodgers LOVES when teams blitz him. He destroys blitzes. ISU has no idea whatsoever how to make a team pay for it. KSU should bring the house on Purdy nearly every play until ISU makes them pay. And if ISU doesn't make they pay, ISU will lose.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What last night showed is that Iowa State is not ready to compete on a big time level. We got outclassed in every area of the game by a team that really is not that much better, if any. A lot of that is on coaching IMO

Oh for ****'s sake. It showed that we played a bad game and had a bad game plan. It's not some ******* statement on anything.

Two weeks ago, you could have said the same thing about Texas when they lost to Oklahoma State or West Virginia. They weren't ready for the moment.

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan21

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

We came in with a certain gameplan, and when Texas was blitzing us on nearly every down, we never strayed from our gameplan..... even though it wasn't working at all. TOE did the same thing, and it was like we had no idea how to beat a blitz, so we just kept running the same offense into a brick wall and made no adjustments.

And when you watch that on TV, it gives the impression like you aren't even "trying" to win the game. What you're doing isn't working, but you are either too stubborn or too dumb to try something else.

I will cry with joy the next time a team brings it's LBs on a blitz and we run our TE or slot WR on a quick slant over the middle into the area vacated by the LBs for an easy 10-15 yd gain. Or let the blitz come, just chip them a bit, and set up a screen. But we NEVER do those things. They bring all out blitzes and we still have our QB dropping back into the pocket and waiting for long outside passes to the sideline to develop and getting our QB killed.

Aaron Rodgers LOVES when teams blitz him. He destroys blitzes. ISU has no idea whatsoever how to make a team pay for it. KSU should bring the house on Purdy nearly every play until ISU makes them pay. And if ISU doesn't make they pay, ISU will lose.

Well, we are playing an 18 year old at quarterback. I'm guessing it took Aaron Rodgers more than 6 games to figure out how to LOVE blitzes.

For whatever reason Campbell struggles a bit with game planning for teams like Iowa and Texas. I assume he'll figure it out.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
We needed to light it up offensively and scored the only TD in the last minute, we weren't going to defense our way out of that.

They'd given up 500+ yards in the three games prior to this, something had to be there but we couldn't find it.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

I think the adjustment was the shovel passes. Lol.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Well, we are playing an 18 year old at quarterback. I'm guessing it took Aaron Rodgers more than 6 games to figure out how to LOVE blitzes.

For whatever reason Campbell struggles a bit with game planning for teams like Iowa and Texas. I assume he'll figure it out.

I just knew someone would think I was comparing Rodgers with Purdy. Obviously not.

The point is that any coach at any level (all the way down to high school or even lower) knows the plays you need to run to beat a blitz and make them pay for it. It's simple, common knowledge.

Defenses would blitz all the time if there was no defense against it. Truth is, blitzes are supposed to be high risk, high reward plays for the defense. If they work, it's usually a loss of yards for the offense. But if they don't, it usually results in a big gain for the offense, and possibly a TD. But against ISU, there's almost no downside to blitzing us. We've never shown the ability to beat it.

L

LincolnWay187

We have some true freshmen and sophs ouy there. The future is bright. Teams like WV are losing Grier and other stars too.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Would 4 quarters of David M have made a difference?

It would have helped as we at least moved the ball a bit better with DM on the field and that would have kept the D off the field a bit longer. Probably wouldn’t have changed the final outcome, but the gameday thread probably doesn’t get nearly as depressing as quickly.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron