Official UT postgame thread

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I think the one overlooked part of Texas...

They've got plenty of talent. Lots and lots of talent. What they typically lack is focus & common goals. They get complacent and over confident.

BUT, when pushed they can put that to use. OU they showed they can play elite teams and win.

Yesterday they needed a win to stay in the hunt and they showed up and put in the effort.

And that's been UT's biggest struggle...getting that talent focused and playing towards a common goal.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Had Montgomery been in the game at the start, there would have been less pressure on Purdy. Our TOP would have been higher, game score lower. Maybe a chance to steal game. Montgomery getting himself disqualified was a killer.

Not really because they rarely mitigate pressure with DM and you can do just as much of that with Kene or Lang. The pressure and the lack of attacking it is a scheme problem, not personnel. I don’t think having/not having DM for a half was significant at all.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Small silverlining or counterpoint that may have been commented already: Despite the ISU defense's injuries, inconsistent tackling, and trouble with tall wideouts, Texas put 24 points on the scoreboard. That is their 3rd lowest total so far this season; their 2nd lowest at home - the lowest at home being 23 against Baylor. Based on predictive scores I saw, 24 points by Texas would be either a winning effort by Iowa State or indicative of a very close game. The defense continued its tendency to hold teams below their season average scoring. Given their time on the field, the defense accomplished on the scoreboard about what could be expected leading up to the game.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I thought the game approach was similar to the underpants gnomes approach to financial success, just with the unknown mixed around:

1. 1st half-please keep us in the game defense.
  2. ?
  3. 2nd half-alright DM, you get the ball every play.
  4. Win ball game.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
They were ready to stop the RPO, we had no counter. They were a step ahead of the offense all night.

L

LincolnWay187

In the post game call in...will Randy Peterson ask about Tom's hooking up with ISU recruiters? That's what he does right?? Stir the pot? Or is that just when it hurts Iowa State and not other schools

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Was at the game yesterday. Depressing performance. As others said here, where are the screen passes and slants against the blitzes? I guess since we haven't had these plays all year, no reason to put them in coach thinks. I'll happily chug my beer the first RB screen pass I see against K State.

Did ISU shrink from the moment?

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I think the one overlooked part of Texas...

They've got plenty of talent. Lots and lots of talent. What they typically lack is focus & common goals. They get complacent and over confident.

BUT, when pushed they can put that to use. OU they showed they can play elite teams and win.

Yesterday they needed a win to stay in the hunt and they showed up and put in the effort.

And that's been UT's biggest struggle...getting that talent focused and playing towards a common goal.
This.

This game reminded me so much of our game against WVU (though in the opposite fashion for us obviously).... we just ran into a buzzsaw.

On our best day vs. Texas best day, they would beat us 9 times out of 10 with the sheer talent on the field.

Unfortunately we ran into Texas best day without having one of our own.

Reactions: xr4ticlone

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I just knew someone would think I was comparing Rodgers with Purdy. Obviously not.

The point is that any coach at any level (all the way down to high school or even lower) knows the plays you need to run to beat a blitz and make them pay for it. It's simple, common knowledge.

Defenses would blitz all the time if there was no defense against it. Truth is, blitzes are supposed to be high risk, high reward plays for the defense. If they work, it's usually a loss of yards for the offense. But if they don't, it usually results in a big gain for the offense, and possibly a TD. But against ISU, there's almost no downside to blitzing us. We've never shown the ability to beat it.

Bollocks. Purdy and ISU consistently beat the blitz against West Virginia. All night long. We sucked against the blitz this weekend, but let’s not go crazy with the revisionist history.