Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
The only thing that will upset me about this is if Omaha goes somewhere else and becomes one of the top players in the country.

But I don't see that happening at all. IMO, he is still pretty far away from contributing much at all at any D1 program.

I assume TJ was just honest with him and told him he didn't see much playing time for him here next year. Just like he did with Pav, Fish, and Hamilton. Wouldn't you want your coach to be honest with you? TJ likely did all of these guys a favor IMO. If you want to play basketball, it might not happen here. So do what you want with that info.

TJ is very respected reputation for his honesty with the kids. I’d expect the conversation was had in a very respectful manner with each of these kids and they parted ways amicably.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I wouldn't call it a miss either, I'd call it a colossal bust. So our highest rated player in school history scores a grand total of 45 points then he's run off?

That's a 3 star, 150ish rated player, not a consensus 5-star. I just dumbfounded how the recruiting rankings were that far off on him.

It makes me wonder if Marcus Fizer would have even made it to the 2000 team in the current landscape.

I'm calling it now, Pierce will never play here.

Ability wise, freshman Fizer would have started for us this year

He was able to play at this level Day 1.

Last edited:

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I’m not sure any class can be a total success. Literally everyone everywhere who doesn’t get starter minutes transfers…if our class had 4 starting freshman it means our team sucks more likely than we are Michigan fab 5.

I’m guessing Milan would be ranked at least similar to his recruiting ranking if we ranked every freshman so that’s a success.

Everybody cannot both get paid AND play a lot. It’s just not possible. Only a handful can get both for most teams.
Exactly, AND this is the reason I think NIL will also eventually become more of a science. If I dumped a bunch of money on Omaha, I'd be a tad disappointed. And, accordingly will be more scrutinizing next time.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Ok, here's a middle age guy who remembers what life used to be like about to go on a rant.

I've personally spoken about NIL, transfers.....etc to a HOF football coach, 3 Big 12 players themselves, a guy who owns a professional recruiting service firm in Omaha, and hundreds of other fans of college spots, and absolutely zero of them like anything to do with this current landscape. Literally zero!!!

So why if everyone hates everything about this is it allowed to continue this way?

Allowed? Because they’re students, the NCAA can’t restrict student mobility anymore than other students face.

Want to impose restrictions to annual transfer ability, then make them employees and specify the term length in the contract

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyeedy and legi

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Turning over 50% of your roster absolutely sucks. NCAA should go back to the sit out rule imo.

Hopefully we get a few 2 & 3 year guys out of the portal so we don’t see this dramatic shift again for a few years.
The sit out rule would have absolutely ruined our team this year and would have ruined TJ’s first year team that also made it to the second weekend. Look at what the NCAA ruled with Tre King. When you are inconsistent on your rulings you create an unfair advantage for the schools you favor. Why does it matter if guys are on the roster for 2-3 years or just 1? The point is to put the best roster together and win.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Exactly, AND this is the reason I think NIL will also eventually become more of a science. If I dumped a bunch of money on Omaha, I'd be a tad disappointed. And, accordingly will be more scrutinizing next time.

So are there rules for NIL in that way? Let’s say a local car dealership wants to give an NIL deal to a player. Can they stipulate that they must be available for local events over the course of 4 years? So if the kid transfers he would not be available and be in violation of the contract? Can the dealership then sue to get the money back?

These NIL deals are for marketing purposes, right? So you should be expected to be signing up for appearances.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Moneyball approach is already needed, and imo used by many

As much as I’d like to keep Omaha, if we have limited NIL to keep top guys and fill in Ward/Jones/King spots, how much goes to Omaha? Imo, zero.

If we have limited minutes, how many minutes do we give Omaha as on the job training, rather than signing guys that don’t need it? Imo, zero.

It’s mutually not a good fit. We Omaha’s talent and/or he hasn’t developed enough over the last two years to keep up

KU spent a lot last year on well sought after guys. They had the money, but their front office decisions sucked

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Sorry to see him leave, kid was a 5 star athlete, based on his running, jumping and getting up the floor, but skill wise he was more of a 2 star level kid is what I saw the few minutes he played. Had terrible hands, struggled catching and shooting the ball. Everything he did on the floor seemed like it was a struggle instead of being a smooth natural movement. He reminded me of a more athletic version of Robb, great hustle and attitude, but just a low skill level of putting the ball in the hoop.

Reactions: 2Xclone

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
So are there rules for NIL in that way? Let’s say a local car dealership wants to give an NIL deal to a player. Can they stipulate that they must be available for local events over the course of 4 years? So if the kid transfers he would not be available and be in violation of the contract? Can the dealership then sue to get the money back?

These NIL deals are for marketing purposes, right? So you should be expected to be signing up for appearances.
Isn't that sort of aligned to how the Kaden proctor deal reportedly went? He reportedly got about 10-15% of his corporate NIL money while he was there for about 6 or so weeks.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I think @NoCreativity was referring to the possibility of him transferring or leaving even earlier in the modern rules.

Disagree. Nothing about the below is about talented players doing well and thus leaving. It’s about highly regarded recruits not getting time to play

“So our highest rated player in school history scores a grand total of 45 points then he's run off?

That's a 3 star, 150ish rated player, not a consensus 5-star. I just dumbfounded how the recruiting rankings were that far off on him.”

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Sorry to see him leave, kid was a 5 star athlete, based on his running, jumping and getting up the floor, but skill wise he was more of a 2 star level kid is what I saw the few minutes he played. Had terrible hands, struggled catching and shooting the ball. Everything he did on the floor seemed like it was a struggle instead of being a smooth natural movement. He reminded me of a more athletic version of Robb, great hustle and attitude, but just a low skill level of putting the ball in the hoop.
I think what you are stating about his hands was more connected to the speed of the game and his decision making. He seemed to be rushing the play or his movements.

For example, a pass would come his way and he would start his movement into a shot before fully gathering the pass. Or, he would be in the process of getting ready to rebound on a drive then the guard would dump a ball his direction. He just seemed to mentally be a half play ahead of where the action was.

This is what our defense does to other teams which causes a lot of turnovers. He was used to practicing against that pace of play

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Ok, here's a middle age guy who remembers what life used to be like about to go on a rant.

I've personally spoken about NIL, transfers.....etc to a HOF football coach, 3 Big 12 players themselves, a guy who owns a professional recruiting service firm in Omaha, and hundreds of other fans of college spots, and absolutely zero of them like anything to do with this current landscape. Literally zero!!!

So why if everyone hates everything about this is it allowed to continue this way?
Becuase the free market is always right? That is what I have been told about everything important. Regulation and rules are always wrong. Let money and market take care of it. People will do what is best when you simply add money to the process.

• Haha
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE