Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006
Gives us a chance to load up on transfers that will help us win, but that sucks for the young guys that want to play.
This is the point. Most freshman aren’t going to play on good teams. But they want the money at big schools. Kids need to understand there sitting for a couple of years. They also need to understand there not as good as older guys now. They will be older guys someday. But not willing to wait there turn on good teams

Reactions: demoncore1031

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
There is always going to be some trial and errors with TJ's recruiting. He's not necessarily looking for the most talented players, he is looking for an exact fit to his puzzle. I am sorry Omaha wasn't that puzzle piece, he seems like a great kid. I trust what TJ is building and I love that he is very honest with the players. I hope Watson will be back and I hope he will work his ass off in the off season. The talent and athleticism is there, he needs to be more assertive. Milan needs to work hard in the weight room and on his footwork.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Becuase the free market is always right? That is what I have been told about everything important. Regulation and rules are always wrong. Let money and market take care of it. People will do what is best when you simply add money to the process.
The previous era of transfer restrictions without compensation, while players also being cut annually was example of how regulation and rules can be bad- a corrupt market.

The real regulators are stepping in and forcing actual market regulation. We’re much more likely to get successful correction now. Want players to stay more than one year, but be able to cut them early? Get it in a contract that compensates them for not being employees

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Moneyball approach is already needed, and imo used by many

As much as I’d like to keep Omaha, if we have limited NIL to keep top guys and fill in Ward/Jones/King spots, how much goes to Omaha? Imo, zero.

If we have limited minutes, how many minutes do we give Omaha as on the job training, rather than signing guys that don’t need it? Imo, zero.

It’s mutually not a good fit. We Omaha’s talent and/or he hasn’t developed enough over the last two years to keep up

KU spent a lot last year on well sought after guys. They had the money, but their front office decisions sucked

I had one two three too many sodas last night and should have put more thought into the NIL piece of the discussion.

If it's a situation where we'd be happy to keep and develop Omaha, but can't give him the NIL resources he thinks he deserves - and it's easy to imagine he thinks he's worth much more than we do - that is a different matter. It would still be a shame to see him leave but that would be understandable.

Reactions: cyclonemagic

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There is always going to be some trial and errors with TJ's recruiting. He's not necessarily looking for the most talented players, he is looking for an exact fit to his puzzle. I am sorry Omaha wasn't that puzzle piece, he seems like a great kid. I trust what TJ is building and I love that he is very honest with the players. I hope Watson will be back and I hope he will work his ass off in the off season. The talent and athleticism is there, he needs to be more assertive. Milan needs to work hard in the weight room and on his footwork.

Doesn't that go for about anyone?

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
West Virginia thinks they have the inside track on getting him. Nothing is certain until it comes straight from the horses mouth.

His playing time was indicative of his ability to contribute to the team. Tre, BRE, Watson and Ward offered more. Maybe he could develop more in the off season. Maybe not.
DeVries needs players now not in a year or two. If he ends up in WV he'll either play and they won't be very good or he sit on the bench like he did this year. WV fans see McD All American and think they are stealing something from us. He'll take NIL money with no payout, then check their board. I like Omaha, hope I'm wrong.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
They have been here for 9 months. Coaches haven’t even had a chance to develop them or see how they could perform. So it’s way too early to say if they weren’t developed or were not evaluated correctly. They decided to leave instead of staying and putting in the work like BRE and Ward did
I agree with you. I don’t know if Otz tells them outright they won’t play or leaves it up to the players to decide if they feel they can improve enough to warrant playing time over the players coming in. Seems like he gave Jones and Ward the option to decide for themselves based on TV commentators.

Reactions: wintersmd

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Disagree. Nothing about the below is about talented players doing well and thus leaving. It’s about highly regarded recruits not getting time to play

“So our highest rated player in school history scores a grand total of 45 points then he's run off?

That's a 3 star, 150ish rated player, not a consensus 5-star. I just dumbfounded how the recruiting rankings were that far off on him.”
I was talking about Fizer when I said he would have never made it to year 3. He would have definitely went portaling after his freshman or sophomore year to some SEC team that gave him huge NIL money. There's no way he would have went through 2 bad seasons like he did then stay for our Elite 8 run in the current landscape.

Reactions: cyclonemagic

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I had one two three too many sodas last night and should have put more thought into the NIL piece of the discussion.

If it's a situation where we'd be happy to keep and develop Omaha, but can't give him the NIL resources he thinks he deserves - and it's easy to imagine he thinks he's worth much more than we do - that is a different matter. It would still be a shame to see him leave but that would be understandable.

These type of departures, mutual or otherwise, were much more negative in previous era imo.

With inducement/NIL, it’s a business decision for both sides. We need to spend our money wisely. We can’t give him what others may be willing.

And players need to get PT to get paid. We can’t give Hamilton or Omaha on-the-job training minutes they need to get paid in future

Previously a lack of playing time for underclassmen was a negative, now it’s a bad business transaction.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Interesting time. If you are top 150 HS player, do you take NIL money and risk sitting at high major or go to lower level where you can get playing time? If you prove yourself, the NIL market would be much better.

That was a dilemma pre NIL too. If you are a top 150 HS player, do you go risk sitting at a high major, or go to a lower level where you can get playing time.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The days of getting kids to sign out of high school, sit on the bench for a few years and then get playing time is over. The portal has become as important as recruiting them out of the high school. If a kid is a 4/5-star player coming out and is not getting playing time, most are going to leave and look for a place to play. We are going to see roster turnover like this at most schools, young kids that are not seeing the floor and do not want to wait around to play down the road. Some of this is Covid related and giving all those players an extra year, it caused a bottleneck of young talent players not getting time because the older players are getting it. The portal is not going away, the good coaches realize that and will be looking to add a couple of kids a year to shore up weaknesses on their roster.

Reactions: rosshm16

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
The previous era of transfer restrictions without compensation, while players also being cut annually was example of how regulation and rules can be bad- a corrupt market.

The real regulators are stepping in and forcing actual market regulation. We’re much more likely to get successful correction now. Want players to stay more than one year, but be able to cut them early? Get it in a contract that compensates them for not being employees
Correct. Rules are always bad we should have none AND bad rules are good are BOTH stupid statements. Make rules that make sense for the most situations and work to make them better. Right now, we have practically no rules and many, if not most of the individuals in this process are being hurt by that fact.

I think we are probably on the same page. This is a business and has been for years. We need to admit that we have employees and be more transparent in their compensation and benefits packages.