Playstation Vue

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So if any Directv folks out there haven't seen their bill this month, it went up another 10-20 bucks. Another family member called DTV about their bill and they said it was because of increased programming costs. Ours is now a grand total of $175 per month for 4 boxes, the middle package and Showtime, so it's time for it to go. I don't care what they can get me back down to, the fact that it got raised to $175 per month is ********. Especially when I can get Showtime AND HBO included in PS Vue for 65 a month.

I think we have decided on PS Vue but for those that have it, what are your recommendations for the player? It looks like you can use a PS console, Roku, Apple TV, Fire Stick, Fire TV or Chromecast. Are there real advantages of getting the Fire TV over Fire Sticks? The only thing we have right now out of those is a PS3.

I see it only comes with channel 8 in the DM area. Any suggestions for indoor antennas? I do not want to mount one outside until we move in to the new house in May.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Thinking about cutting the cord too when our contact is up in August. Main concern is getting local channels since over the air isn't an option where we are at.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Thinking about cutting the cord too when our contact is up in August. Main concern is getting local channels since over the air isn't an option where we are at.

My contract has been up for awhile now, I just haven't pulled the trigger on getting rid of it. This last increase just pushed me over the edge.

It looks like most of the bigger metro areas now have local channels included. Only a matter of time before it's everywhere.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Had the Vue for a while and still would but between my PS3 and our mediocre to decent internet, it just wasn't worth it. Way too much lag sometimes to the point that I would just stop watching a game because I was so frustrated that I wasn't enjoying it at all. The guide also was pretty much useless because more often than not it would just take off and scroll all the way to the far end of the direction I was trying to move. It's been around 5 months or so since I used it so maybe it's improved on the PS3 but I wouldn't count on it. From what I've read and heard, works way better on the PS4 and obviously the faster your internet the better.

Reactions: AgronAlum

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I dumped DirecTV because of the cost. Our internet is not very fast, so I did a free trial of Netflix, Hulu, PS Vue, and Sling TV. Netflix and Hulu work, but the others require more speed than I have (7mb - 5 actual). I did like PS Vue's guide and it performed better for me than Sling. One of my TVs is a smart TV with Android TV (Chromecast built in) and I have a Roku Premiere and both seem to work fine. We debated about Roku vs Fire TV and picked Roku, however I think both would be a good choice. I am not sure about antennas, because I have never had good luck with them.

Flynn4Heisman

Mar 24, 2006
I have PlayStation Vue. Subscribe to the $35 plan. I love it. I've used it on my PS3, and PS4 (before selling it). It is much more responsive on the PS4 (obviously due to the extra RAM allocation for the console), however it works just as well on PS3, just a bit slower.

A bit of a caveat though: Once you set your home console/player, you cannot use it at other people homes, even they in the same ZIP code. I live in Urbandale, and I tried to use it at my mother's (also in Urbandale), and it wouldn't let me use it unless I set her Fire Stick as my home device (and in turn permanently disable my PS3 at my home). I also tried it on my friend's PS4 in Altoona and got the same result. However, you can use the mobile access wherever you are obviously. Though I have never used the Vue app, I just use Fox Sports Go/WatchESPN for mobile (which just further adds tohe value of Vue).

Where did you see it comes with Channel 8? No local channels are included as far as I know, and use my antenna for that.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
We've had PS Vue since we moved in to the new house. Had them run ethernet cables to each tv so we would have fast internet. For the most part we love it and don't miss DirectTV at all.

If you are watching a game though, I'd stay off twitter as it's usually 30 seconds to a minute behind what others are seeing it at.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
For your main player you're gonna want a PS4/Nvidia Shield TV/Fire TV box. Apple TV box would probably be good too, but I've never used one. Chromecast has a solid video, but can be clunky to use. Fire TV stick and PS3 have problems getting 60 fps. I don't have a roku, but I hear it still doesn't have the full guide.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I'm not terribly worried about the internet. We are on a 100dn/10up plan right now with I believe a 1000GB cap. Normally runs anywhere from 40-70 mbps.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
So if any Directv folks out there haven't seen their bill this month, it went up another 10-20 bucks. Another family member called DTV about their bill and they said it was because of increased programming costs. Ours is now a grand total of $175 per month for 4 boxes, the middle package and Showtime, so it's time for it to go. I don't care what they can get me back down to, the fact that it got raised to $175 per month is ********. Especially when I can get Showtime AND HBO included in PS Vue for 65 a month.

I think we have decided on PS Vue but for those that have it, what are your recommendations for the player? It looks like you can use a PS console, Roku, Apple TV, Fire Stick, Fire TV or Chromecast. Are there real advantages of getting the Fire TV over Fire Sticks? The only thing we have right now out of those is a PS3.

I see it only comes with channel 8 in the DM area. Any suggestions for indoor antennas? I do not want to mount one outside until we move in to the new house in May.
We get ours through our Roku, it works well. PS Vue interface isn't great, but manageable. We use a cheep 25 mile flat antenna from amazon and have good luck getting all basic air channels.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
We've had PS Vue since we moved in to the new house. Had them run ethernet cables to each tv so we would have fast internet. For the most part we love it and don't miss DirectTV at all.

If you are watching a game though, I'd stay off twitter as it's usually 30 seconds to a minute behind what others are seeing it at.

We are currently building a house and I had them wire an Ethernet cable to the living room but nowhere else. Have you tried running it of WiFi vs. hard lined? It's not too late to have them run Ethernet to other rooms. The house is a two story and the modem will be in the basement. I would like it to work in the master upstairs.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
My contract has been up for awhile now, I just haven't pulled the trigger on getting rid of it. This last increase just pushed me over the edge.

It looks like most of the bigger metro areas now have local channels included. Only a matter of time before it's everywhere.
That would be great. Hopefully by August there is something out there. I have Roku thought about going with Sling TV anyone have experience with that? How does it compare to Vue?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
My plan is to cut the cord as soon as the current season of TV ends. (My wife and kids can't be troubled to learn new channels and technology mid-season, you know.) Leaning toward Vue but if Sling gets DVR functionality, that could change.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Absolutely love it.

I use a Fire TV box and have no issues. DVR can be a little clunky as if you set it to record one college basketball game, it thinks it needs to record all college basketball games.

Love that it has WatchESPN and FOX Sports Go access.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
That would be great. Hopefully by August there is something out there. I have Roku thought about going with Sling TV anyone have experience with that? How does it compare to Vue?
Sling was pretty good, I like the interface better than PS Vue. Vue wins out for us because it seemed to have better channel selection (not sure how much that has changed in the last year or so) and the access to some shows that are saved to your list (poor mans version of DVR). Both are pretty good for what we use them for, not heavy watching, mostly just so we can watch ISU/Iowa play.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I have PlayStation Vue. Subscribe to the $35 plan. I love it. I've used it on my PS3, and PS4 (before selling it). It is much more responsive on the PS4 (obviously due to the extra RAM allocation for the console), however it works just as well on PS3, just a bit slower.

A bit of a caveat though: Once you set your home console/player, you cannot use it at other people homes, even they in the same ZIP code. I live in Urbandale, and I tried to use it at my mother's (also in Urbandale), and it wouldn't let me use it unless I set her Fire Stick as my home device (and in turn permanently disable my PS3 at my home). I also tried it on my friend's PS4 in Altoona and got the same result. However, you can use the mobile access wherever you are obviously. Though I have never used the Vue app, I just use Fox Sports Go/WatchESPN for mobile (which just further adds tohe value of Vue).

Where did you see it comes with Channel 8? No local channels are included as far as I know, and use my antenna for that.

Capture2.JPG

The only channel I watch regularly that's not on Vue is Viceland. It is on Sling but I don't see any other advantages Sling has over Vue, especially for the sports/cost mix.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I currently use Roku and have WatchESPN (Free) and Netflix ($10/month.)

Would there be any real benefit for me to get the PS Vue? Only thing I can think of is Cub games.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I went from Directv to sling, then Vue and now on Directv Now. All have Appletv apps. Sling was missing a few channels like Comcast Chicago and Vue's guide was crap, but had recording for some shows. Directv Now sent me an Apple TV for signing up for three months.

For OTA I just use rabbit ears connected to my Tablo box. Again, it also has an Apple TV app. I can dvr tv and skip the commercials. External hard drive is 1 terabyte.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron