Playstation Vue

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Sling was pretty good, I like the interface better than PS Vue. Vue wins out for us because it seemed to have better channel selection (not sure how much that has changed in the last year or so) and the access to some shows that are saved to your list (poor mans version of DVR). Both are pretty good for what we use them for, not heavy watching, mostly just so we can watch ISU/Iowa play.

Vue lost all the Viacom channels which pissed a lot of people off.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We have 2 Fire TV sticks(one older without Alexa, one with), a Fire TV and a PS4. They all work very good with PS Vue and voice search(Alexa) is the bomb. Although I do have an external antenna, I don't need it because I still have Mediacom for internet and I can just run the cable straight to my TV to get all the locals and a ton more. **** Mediacom:) Wish I would have switched a long time ago.

Oh, the PS Vue mobile app works really good on my Galaxy S5 too.

One more thing, PS Vue does *not* work on Chromebooks. The one thing that annoys me about PS Vue

Last edited:
Reactions: AgronAlum

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Glad to see I'm not the only one to be shocked and pissed that DirecTV had the balls to raise rates in this era of cord cutting. Now I'm up to $150 per month with 2 receivers and haven't been under contract in over 2 years.

I'm working on getting all the equipment to transition to PSVue. Upgraded the cable modem, ordered the outdoor powered antenna and just got my Roku streaming stick a few days ago. Have a PS4 already but will also be ordering a Roku Premiere Plus if everything goes well with getting the antenna to work for the whole house and the PSVue trial goes well.

Hopefully DirecTV loses a lot of customers with this latest increase. Just insane to raise rates while already losing customers in droves.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Just sent back my old DirecTV equipment today actually. My bill had also gone up to over $140 a month for 3 receivers. I boosted my internet speed to 50 MB and have been streaming PS Vue via Amazon Fire TV/stick the last few weeks, supplemented with Netflix and Amazon Prime content. The Fire TV seems to work a little better/faster, but I haven’t had any major issues with the stick yet.

So far it has been great; I'm paying $34.99/month and have access to almost all the sports I watch (ESPN, Fox networks, Comcast for Cubs games) plus can record live TV with the cloud DVR function. The access to WatchESPN and FoxSportsGo are also a big plus, especially if you want to watch something away from home.

I still need to get an antenna hooked up for the basic channels, but one nice thing is they have all the network programming available on demand the next day. I’m guessing once NFL season rolls around I’ll probably want to get a pretty nice HD antenna set up but for now I have just watched any shows on local channels a few days after they air live.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I just decided to go back to DirecTV for their Choice package, Genie, with 3 wired mini genies. 3 months of movie channels and 2017 Sunday Ticket. $67/month for 24 months since I'm an ATT wireless customer. Plus a $200 visa.

PS Vue was fine for watching tv, but I hated that many of my dvr shows couldn't be fast-forwarded. I didn't like that Mediacom internet is like a yo-yo and my tv watching was like a Missouri stop sign.

I plan to go back to streaming in 24 months, I'm hoping by then they have worked out all the glitches and have A&E, History, Nick, and the locals. Although it was nice to see KCCI added. And hopefully we have a good internet provider in North Ankeny by then.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I cut DirecTV almost 2 years ago. They still call me at least once a week to ask me why I cancelled and what it would take to get me to subscribe.

Always the same conversation:
Hey yah I'll happily sign today.
Just give me the channels I want, 4 TV boxes and DVR for $30/month.
Oh you can't do that?
Stop f-ing calling me.

LetsPlay2

Dec 18, 2008
Des Moines
We have 2 Fire TV sticks(one older without Alexa, one with), a Fire TV and a PS4. They all work very good with PS Vue and voice search(Alexa) is the bomb. Although I do have an external antenna, I don't need it because I still have Mediacom for internet and I can just run the cable straight to my TV to get all the locals and a ton more. **** Mediacom:) Wish I would have switched a long time ago.

Oh, the PS Vue mobile app works really good on my Galaxy S5 too.

One more thing, PS Vue does *not* work on Chromebooks. The one thing that annoys me about PS Vue
This may be common knowledge, but how do you get local channels still with Mediacom? I don't have cable but have Mediacom internet and use an antenna that is hit or miss depending on position. Is there a way to get the local channels easier with Mediacom internet?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This may be common knowledge, but how do you get local channels still with Mediacom? I don't have cable but have Mediacom internet and use an antenna that is hit or miss depending on position. Is there a way to get the local channels easier with Mediacom internet?

I have this antenna outside the house and ran it to the grey plastic mediacom box outside the house that goes to all the wall outlets. That way I don't need any inside.
I disconnected the incoming buried internet line to that plastic box and then ran a new coax all the way in my basement and up to the main floor to where I permanently want my modem and router.
Have great internet, have great bunny ear reception.

1.images.1000x1000.jpg

Reactions: keepngoal

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Run the cable straight to your TV. Got to TV setup and have it find channels. My understanding is that if you get internet from them they can't filter out all the TV channels coming in on the wire.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Run the cable straight to your TV. Got to TV setup and have it find channels. My understanding is that if you get internet from them they can't filter out all the TV channels coming in on the wire.

Interesting. I'm going to give this a shot. I already have the same antenna that JP pictured above being shipped to my house, I was planning on just using the incoming DirecTV coax to hook the outdoor antenna up to my splitter that goes to each of the bedrooms. But I could do the same with the incoming Mediacom internet line instead.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Interesting. I'm going to give this a shot. I already have the same antenna that JP pictured above being shipped to my house, I was planning on just using the incoming DirecTV coax to hook the outdoor antenna up to my splitter that goes to each of the bedrooms. But I could do the same with the incoming Mediacom internet line instead.
Let us know what you find out when you try this!

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Let us know what you find out when you try this!

So I just asked a buddy who works for a Mediacom competitor about this and he said that it isn't true. They place "traps"either in the box on the house or at the pedestal that feeds your house that filters the signal. If you are successful than the tech screwed up.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I was fed up with Mediacom for the same reasons and was literally calling them to disconnect when they shot me a deal which cut my bill about 35% for 2 years so decided to take the deal. I had the Antenna set up(and it worked great!). Was going to keep high speed internet and rely on Netflix & Vue.

Doubt Mediacom will extend the offer after the 2 years is up, so will make the change then. Will be interesting to see what the cable/stream dynamic is like at that point!

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
My bill went up $13 to $115/month. 2 TVs and sports pack. I called and they said they can give me $10/month off if I sign for two years. I said no thanks and will be switching to psvue within the year. Internet cost will go up but DirecTV has just pissed me off.

• Agree
Reactions: AgronAlum

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
So if any Directv folks out there haven't seen their bill this month, it went up another 10-20 bucks. Another family member called DTV about their bill and they said it was because of increased programming costs. Ours is now a grand total of $175 per month for 4 boxes, the middle package and Showtime, so it's time for it to go. I don't care what they can get me back down to, the fact that it got raised to $175 per month is ********. Especially when I can get Showtime AND HBO included in PS Vue for 65 a month.

I think we have decided on PS Vue but for those that have it, what are your recommendations for the player? It looks like you can use a PS console, Roku, Apple TV, Fire Stick, Fire TV or Chromecast. Are there real advantages of getting the Fire TV over Fire Sticks? The only thing we have right now out of those is a PS3.

I see it only comes with channel 8 in the DM area. Any suggestions for indoor antennas? I do not want to mount one outside until we move in to the new house in May.

Go with this type of antenna, they work great.

Amazon product

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
FWIW we cut the cord two years ago and the DVR is the only thing we miss about cable (I guess the wife misses Hallmark around Christmas time but I would consider that a win). As long as you are realistic and don't mind being up to a couple of minutes behind live or possible have random buffering it is not too bad. You get what you pay for.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
So I just asked a buddy who works for a Mediacom competitor about this and he said that it isn't true. They place "traps"either in the box on the house or at the pedestal that feeds your house that filters the signal. If you are successful than the tech screwed up.

My understanding is that the 'traps' don't work for all the channels. Obviously I could be wrong but it works for me so whatever. Can't hurt to try.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
We cut Direct TV last February and do not miss it. I got a 50 mile antenna from Best Buy and just used the old Direct TV coax cable and it works perfectly. The antenna is even mounted on the pole our dish was on mounted on.

We have Hulu and Netflix, which we traded our login for my in-laws Direct TV login. That gives us ESPN access without Sling or PSVue. We also add HBO Now for Game of Thrones and I subscribe to MLB.tv. It all works perfectly for a base price of $17 a month.