Playstation Vue

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I actually just cancelled my DIRECTV Sunday and moved to PS Vue. Running a PS4 in the living room and an Apple TV in my bedroom. I was at $170/mo with Directv and am now at $65/mo with PS Vue. There are a couple things I liked DTV (True DVR functionality especially) but it was sure as **** not worth $100/mo.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I've had PS Vue for 5 months or so and can't think of a single time where I couldn't watch something I wanted. DVR function is there but needs some work. Other than that, I have no complaints and am saving $100 per month compared to when we had DirecTV.

The key is making sure you have good internet speed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
I have cancelled Dish and have gone Vue as well. I will be using the Roku. I can get the guide through my iPad. Going through all the info I cannot find anything that tells me how to access or use the DVR. I am wondering if it automatically "records" your favorite shows that you have selected. Any advice would be grateful.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I have cancelled Dish and have gone Vue as well. I will be using the Roku. I can get the guide through my iPad. Going through all the info I cannot find anything that tells me how to access or use the DVR. I am wondering if it automatically "records" your favorite shows that you have selected. Any advice would be grateful.

Anything you add to 'My Shows' is available automatically for 28 days,

clonefromNE

SuperFanatic
Oct 27, 2006
Boston
I've had PSVue for a couple of weeks and I'm not missing cable one bit. I'm currently running it on a Amazon Firestick but the menu/guide do lag.

For those who've tried it on the Amazon FireTV box, how is the lag in changing shows and flipping through the guide on that? I've seen some reviews saying it's better but don't want to drop $89 on a FireTV box if it's not an improvement over the Firestick.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
I went from Directv to sling, then Vue and now on Directv Now. All have Appletv apps. Sling was missing a few channels like Comcast Chicago and Vue's guide was crap, but had recording for some shows. Directv Now sent me an Apple TV for signing up for three months.

For OTA I just use rabbit ears connected to my Tablo box. Again, it also has an Apple TV app. I can dvr tv and skip the commercials. External hard drive is 1 terabyte.

This is the route I'm currently about to go down because the wife will not let us go without a DRV. Any comments on the Tablo, because I've been wanting to pull the trigger on it for a few weeks since it looks perfect and has mostly favorable reviews.

MartyMcCy

Sep 6, 2011
This is the route I'm currently about to go down because the wife will not let us go without a DRV. Any comments on the Tablo, because I've been wanting to pull the trigger on it for a few weeks since it looks perfect and has mostly favorable reviews.
I second this. DVR/skipping commercials is what is holding me back. Is Tablo the way to go?

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I have had Vue for about 7 months. I will tell anybody and everybody that has decent internet to switch. I can get every channel I want plus hbo and showtime for under 60 right now. I have a PS4, and a roku. Best on the PS4 for sure. I have never had any issues, plus you get all the logins for tv everywhere.

Reactions: ripvdub

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I second this. DVR/skipping commercials is what is holding me back. Is Tablo the way to go?

If you Add something to your "My Shows" it will record the next episode and it will be on your "DVR". Previous episodes will be there via "On Demand", which you cannot FF. But the DVR ones you can definitely FF.

For some of you who have faster internet, reminder that the PS4 does NOT have 5g capability. However if you buy an Amazon Firestick it does and it works flawlessly. We have 1gig internet and through our router (a good one) all of our devices with 5g capability work lightning fast.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: isugcs and k123

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I've had PSVue for a couple of weeks and I'm not missing cable one bit. I'm currently running it on a Amazon Firestick but the menu/guide do lag.

For those who've tried it on the Amazon FireTV box, how is the lag in changing shows and flipping through the guide on that? I've seen some reviews saying it's better but don't want to drop $89 on a FireTV box if it's not an improvement over the Firestick.
It's the fire stick, replace with a firetv box and it'll be much improved on menu lag.
We used to run a stick and a tv box, the stick had lag on the menu where the tv box didn't, replaced it with another fire tv and all is good. Still not as good as the PS4, but that's hardlined into Ethernet tho.

Reactions: clonefromNE

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
If you Add something to your "My Shows" it will record the next episode and it will be on your "DVR". Previous episodes will be there via "On Demand", which you cannot FF. But the DVR ones you can definitely FF.

For some of you who have faster internet, reminder that the PS4 does NOT have 5g capability. However if you buy an Amazon Firestick it does and it works flawlessly. We have 1gig internet and through our router (a good one) all of our devices with 5g capability work lightning fast.

Are you referring to 5Ghz?

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
It's the fire stick, replace with a firetv box and it'll be much improved on menu lag.
We used to run a stick and a tv box, the stick had lag on the menu where the tv box didn't, replaced it with another fire tv and all is good. Still not as good as the PS4, but that's hardlined into Ethernet tho.

Depends on your internet, really. Headlined will be faster if you have slow internet, but the fire stick will work better and have faster response time than the PS4 when you have higher internet.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I have this antenna outside the house and ran it to the grey plastic mediacom box outside the house that goes to all the wall outlets. That way I don't need any inside.
I disconnected the incoming buried internet line to that plastic box and then ran a new coax all the way in my basement and up to the main floor to where I permanently want my modem and router.
Have great internet, have great bunny ear reception.

1.images.1000x1000.jpg
Is there a specific direction you have to point this? Or just towards where the local antennae may be located? Thanks.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Depends on your internet, really. Headlined will be faster if you have slow internet, but the fire stick will work better and have faster response time than the PS4 when you have higher internet.

If the PS4 is hard-wired? I'd like to see some proof of that.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
If the PS4 is hard-wired? I'd like to see some proof of that.

PS4's only have 2.5ghz capability. Firestick has 5ghz. Now obviously you need to have Internet and router that both support that, but I get about 175mbps on PlayStation. 5ghz nearly doubles that.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006

This or a Tivo Roamio are the 2 best options that I've seen, but Tablo lets it be a "whole home" DRV which can send your shows on the DRV to all your TVs with streaming devices or your phone, whereas Tivo is only for 1 TV and you have to buy additional Tivos to stream to other TVs. Tablo also has the record series, record new, etc. but the other poster could comment on the glitchiness or lack thereof. Sounds perfect if it all works correctly though.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So we tried Vue last night and everything follows the comments made here. I ran it on my PS3 and the guide was a little lacking and laggy but ok to navigate for the most part. We tried watching some Silicon Valley and it seemed to buffer pretty frequently and seemed to be more jumpy than watching on DTV. We have never had an issue with buffering and netflix before. I ran a couple speed tests through my phone and we were sitting at 40-45 mbps down.

That being said, we will still probably pull the trigger on it because **** DTV.