Ray Lima?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Not hearing anything about Ray Lima and the NFL draft. Have I just missed the conversation? Anything on Jamahl Johnson?

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Not hearing anything about Ray Lima and the NFL draft. Have I just missed the conversation? Anything on Jamahl Johnson?

They will both catch on in some team's camp, whenever we have those again. Same for Jones and Pettway I think, and possibly JGJ or JK on O-line. Will be more of a challenge for undrafted free agents this year.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Yeah, look for them to sign somewhere immediately after the draft

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Not sure about Lima, but I have a feeling Jones will get drafted in a later round. The trend for NFL receivers is getting shorter and quicker guys, and he fits that mold.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
Wirtel is probably ISU’s only hope for a player drafted.

This is correct. Without the pro days for the non combine guys (Wirtel was our only guy that got to go) it will be tough for these guys to get drafted. But there will be a few that make camps for sure

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
This is correct. Without the pro days for the non combine guys (Wirtel was our only guy that got to go) it will be tough for these guys to get drafted. But there will be a few that make camps for sure

Did all pro days get cancelled? I wonder if some schools got them in before everything shut down?

jim4

Sep 27, 2014
Not sure about Lima, but I have a feeling Jones will get drafted in a later round. The trend for NFL receivers is getting shorter and quicker guys, and he fits that mold.

He is a gear short and a smidge on the slighter side for that imo. Def could catch on somewhere post draft

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I have no idea why a guy like Ray lima doesn't get drafted. An all big 12 player. He has the size and the skill. Leader of the best defense in the league 3 years in a row.

When he came he he was considered a stone cold lock for the NFL. (Seriously, dig up the threads) Now nothing. I just don't get it.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I have no idea why a guy like Ray lima doesn't get drafted. An all big 12 player. He has the size and the skill. Leader of the best defense in the league 3 years in a row.

When he came he he was considered a stone cold lock for the NFL. (Seriously, dig up the threads) Now nothing. I just don't get it.
Yeah I'm a little surprised by the lack of smoke for ISU players in this years draft. Goes to show the national perception of ISU football still hasn't changed much, sadly

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I think ISU is really close to having some guys drafted, and not just that but high as well. A guy like Charlie Kolar comes to mind. If our program starts getting over the hump (like a 10 win season) I think our perception will start to change. Not having a lot of success at the next level also hurts us, so if you have guys start playing well in the NFL that will help too. My hope is David Montgomery, and Lazard keep improving and doing well. This will help our perception.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I think the NFL is in a transitional period with how offenses are playing when you look at the recent hires of air raid style coaches, teams like KC, how Dallas is setting itself up, and the entire NFC West. Defenses will surely follow the more that offenses shift. Guys like Lima, that are well versed in defenses set up to defend these spread offenses will be in high demand in just a few years, he's just slightly ahead of the curve. I could see Lima being picked up by a defense that sees the above offenses regularly in later rounds. He will sign very quickly after the draft of he goes undrafted. imo

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What have these guys said about wanting to be in the NFL? I wonder if some of these guys are just tired of working so hard and now are just wanting to move on to other things.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
What have these guys said about wanting to be in the NFL? I wonder if some of these guys are just tired of working so hard and now are just wanting to move on to other things.

With all due respect, a few years of NFL league minimum can set you up for life. I'd take the annoying work outs for a few years if I had the choice.

As far as Iowa State players, remember when Kirby was "the best punter in college football"? We over estimate our guys because we're fanatics.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
I think ISU is really close to having some guys drafted, and not just that but high as well. A guy like Charlie Kolar comes to mind. If our program starts getting over the hump (like a 10 win season) I think our perception will start to change. Not having a lot of success at the next level also hurts us, so if you have guys start playing well in the NFL that will help too. My hope is David Montgomery, and Lazard keep improving and doing well. This will help our perception.
This class would’ve been MC’s first recruiting class* in Ames. So obviously nobody’s expecting much. That being said, David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler would’ve been drafted as seniors this year. I’m not sure if they would’ve been drafted any better. than they had or not.

But here’s an interesting question for all you prognosticators out there. What would you rather???
1.) keep Butler and Montgomery for 2019 for the possibility of having the previous season of Baylor 2019 and risk losing the recruits we got from the 2019 class

or

2.) keep what we have