south end zone??

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
youre ridiculous. EVERYONE plays these neutral site games. Even Texas and Oklahoma do it.

Big difference, Texas and Oklahoma are long time border Rivals and have been playing playing in Dallas since 1912... They also sell out the game every year. We are playing another conference team who we have no natural rivalry HOPING to fill 2/3rds of the stadium.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
The South endzone needs to be bowled in for if nothing else; recruiting. Any recruit that visits more than one BCS school takes a look @ Jack Trice and thinks high school stadium. Why not split this project into phases:

1st- bowl in the lower deck and connect the concourses. allow room for temporary bleachers @ the top.

2nd- add upper deck, concession/restrooms, and additional suites.

The rate at which these are completed will depend upon the team's success. If we are fortunate enough to make it to a bowl game this winter, I think the project will gain some steam again.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Fact: This will not happen until one (or both) of the following are true

1. A donor steps up and pretty much pays for the project
2. We're selling out JTS more than just one game a year

Last edited:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Doesn't this discussion come up in EVERY OTHER THREAD?!?

I know your pain superdorf...this gets real tiresome!!!

Look boys & girls...Until Jamie Pollard can find a major donor with big bucks....their will be NO End Zone bowling/improvements!!!!

In other words this aint Texas or Oklahoma who are swimming in money, this is low budget Iowa State...

The MONEY is NOT there right now, so get over it and enjoy the stadium that we have now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I know your pain superdorf...this gets real tiresome!!!

Look boys & girls...Until Jamie Pollard can find a major donor with big bucks....their will be NO End Zone bowling/improvements!!!!

In other words this aint Texas or Oklahoma who are swimming in money, this is low budget Iowa State...

The MONEY is NOT there right now, so get over it and enjoy the stadium that we have now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't we just take out a sub-prime mortgage or a loan we have no intent in fully paying??

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa

You realize we have sold out the seats in JTS 3 for 3 so far this year right?

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
The price of doing the lower bowl and the east concourse was around $19.5 million. With the east concourse now done I would think just the lower bowl would be less than that. Why not just get that part done now and worry about the second deck at a later time.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'll bet you it costs at LEAST double that. I would guess the upper deck is easy after you connect the concourses and have the lower deck installed, which is the ridiculously expensive part.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I'll bet you it costs at LEAST double that. I would guess the upper deck is easy after you connect the concourses and have the lower deck installed, which is the ridiculously expensive part.

Well I remember back when Gene Smith was around the price quote was $14 million with practice facilities under the south end zone. And as I mentioned the quote from JP was $19.5 with the east concourse so the price can't be much more.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Well I remember back when Gene Smith was around the price quote was $14 million with practice facilities under the south end zone. And as I mentioned the quote from JP was $19.5 with the east concourse so the price can't be much more.

There is absolutely NO way it costs $40,000,000 extra to add on an upper deck. $60,000,000ish for the entire endzone to be done with a lower and upper deck. Absolutely no way they can do the lower deck for $20,000,000.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
There is absolutely NO way it costs $40,000,000 extra to add on an upper deck. $60,000,000ish for the entire endzone to be done with a lower and upper deck. Absolutely no way they can do the lower deck for $20,000,000.

Did alot of searching trying to find a article from when it was released maybe someone else will have better luck than I. But I did find this: Tom Witosky, Iowa State's $135 Million Gamble

Pollard's plan calls for construction of an additional 24 luxury suites and new club seating at the football stadium, as well as eventual "bowling" of the south end zone. Total cost of those two football projects is $35 million, but the suite and club-seating project, which would cost $10 million, is the first priority.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Most of them have VERY affordable upper level seating... It's just the club level that they kill people.

And parking for the new Texas Stadium is only $75/car. I haven't heard what they are doing for Season Ticket holders. Although I know here in Chicago, a parking pass with your season tickets, is almost as much as the tickets. Then you add seat licenses and it's a whole other ball of wax.

Believe me, I am all for bowling in the south endzone. But not at the expense of putting fans in the stands. I think a lot of the appeal right now is the tailgating. You can make a day out of it. I just don't see us, until we are consistently winning 7 games a year or the economy gets much better, putting 50,000 in the Jack unless prices stay right about where they are. I'm not saying don't do it, or that I am right, it's just a fear of mine. Hell, season ticket prices have increased by over 200% when I started buying them in '99 and the results on the field have gotten a lot worse, so it could be that I am very wrong. I do hope it's a case of ISU building a really nice fan base up. It's definitely a fun, affordable place to watch a game.

fanaticman

Sep 21, 2009
A huge key for the south endzone being completed is donations. JP needs to focus on not just cash but product. (i.e. many construction contractors in this area support Iowa State Athletics) if they could get a contractor to do the footings and prep grade for only material cost, that would save a huge amount of money. Also getting local pre-cast concrete contractors to suppley pre-cast at bottom dollar or donate some, the end zone could come together for much less then projected. All of parts of the project are much less expensive compared to these items.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
Has anyone heard anything with this? I really hope this happens soon. It is critical to our future as a legit Big XII team in my opinion!

What? No opinion on the I-State logo?

Perhaps I should start a new thread for that discussion.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

I'm trying, but I just can't seem to find the right combination of Powerball numbers.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
What? No opinion on the I-State logo?

Perhaps I should start a new thread for that discussion.

wait, what does this mean? Seriously, how does the I-State logo fit into this discussion at all?

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
example: Okie State. Talk about going from sad to intimidating. Yeah, it'd be nice to have an oil tycoon in our corner, but it goes to show that sometimes you have to spend some to get some. Like Dan Hawkins said- this is the BIG TWELVE folks. We're in an arms race & right now we look like a MAC school- so our recruiting goes as such. I think in our case we may need to build a little atmosphere rather than wait for it.

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009
Two things will be required before we get the south end zone bowled in:

1. Our AD needs to land a big (> 6 figures) donor.

2. We need to consistently sell out the existing seats at regular ticket prices without resorting to minipaks and $10 tickets for the first and last home games every year.

Unfortunately neither of these is likely to happen anytime soon. A bowled-in south end zone is probably 5+ years away at a minimum.

Albaugh & Fam on the sidelines at the Army game. Brought a smile to my face.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
After seeing West Virginia's stadium again on TV last night, I don't think we ever need a second deck to look big-league. Their stadium was initially built almost as a carbon-copy of ours, and the way they have filled in their end zones, especially the end with the ground-level suites/offices and stands on top, is impressive.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron