Tamin Lipsey Commits

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Making money somewhere, you are probably right, but making a go of it in either the NFL or NBA, I'd argue the opposite in a lot of cases, especially for someone of his size. Right now, there are 1,696 players in the NFL as compared to 529 in the NBA. The NFL draft each year has 7 rounds with 255 total picks of players getting contracts, which compares to the NBA with 2 rounds and 60 total picks, with only half of those actually getting guaranteed contracts. Also, of NBA players, how many of them are only 6' 2"? There definitely are some, but there are a TON more at that size in the NFL.

In fact, I had this EXACT conversation with the mom of my neighbor kid current ISU 2023 offer for football Alex Mota. Alex is a stud in both basketball and football, but she was the one telling me he is leaning towards going football, as how many 6' 1" players are there in the NBA. Her words, not mine.

I get it I'm not factoring in the wear and tear on your body thing, as that is completely a big factor too. Its why if you do make the NBA, you likely have a better chance of sticking around longer. NBA players tend to make more money as well. However, if we are just talking about trying to make it to the highest level of sports in the U.S., football is likely your better route to sip a cup of coffee in the league.

If you limit it to domestic pro leagues, the NFL certainly has greater numbers, but basketball can be lucrative all over the world. There aren't a lot of football options beyond the NFL.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Curious as to how the AAU circuit works. How many games do they typically play during the year/summer and how far do they go/travel? Are they sponsored?

In Tamin and Eli's case, on their team since they live apart, do they get together for days/weeks at a time in order to practice/play together? Then go home on occasion to see family? Sounds like it could be pretty grueling.
Theoretically, once the AAU season starts in the spring, you could be playing almost every single weekend in the summer. D1 Minnesota is sponsored by Adidas, so I believe they're part of the Adidas Gauntlet, which is a series of big time tournaments in which recruits can get top exposure from big time college coaches.

As far as travel, there are plenty of tournaments in the midwest where you don't have to travel that far, however a lot of the elite tournaments are in some pretty awesome places like LA, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Dallas, etc.

Typically, teams only practice once or twice a week and then they play on the weekends. So I'd assume Tamin would practice every once in a while, but sometimes I know coaches will allow flexibility for some of the players that may not live in the state.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Is Lipsey's recruiting arc going to be similar to Peter Jok's? Highly rated early on in high school, knee injury, drop in the rankings, go on to be a great college player who lived up to those post-injury rankings?
Now that he's committed and not playing football, I'd imagine as long as he performs on the circuit he'll be rising back up a bit on those boards.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Now that he's committed and not playing football, I'd imagine as long as he performs on the circuit he'll be rising back up a bit on those boards.
Yeah, the key is just playing well in AAU season and he should see a rise. How big of a rise, I don't know but I think he will move up at least some. But excited to see what he can do focusing on basketball full time.

Reactions: ZZZ and srjclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Loved the group. One issue with thigpen was passing was a last option many times. Dude was a scorer and his first thought was putting it in the basket. It worked for him.
Loved that group.... those were the first guys I remember watching as a kid. First game I ever went to with my dad was the ISU vs. #2 OSU (when they had big country). We were down by 18 at half and came back to win in OT. OSUs best free throw shooter missed two free throws with 3 seconds left and we won by 1. ISU shot like 89% in the second half... they asked Orr about it after the game, and said (something like), "I didn't know we missed a shot". Those were fun teams to watch.
These posts are related. Thigpen was the hottest guy in the building at that point of the game but when he drew the defense to himself as time was expiring in OT he gave the ball up - to a freshman, no less.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Theoretically, once the AAU season starts in the spring, you could be playing almost every single weekend in the summer. D1 Minnesota is sponsored by Adidas, so I believe they're part of the Adidas Gauntlet, which is a series of big time tournaments in which recruits can get top exposure from big time college coaches.

As far as travel, there are plenty of tournaments in the midwest where you don't have to travel that far, however a lot of the elite tournaments are in some pretty awesome places like LA, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Dallas, etc.

Typically, teams only practice once or twice a week and then they play on the weekends. So I'd assume Tamin would practice every once in a while, but sometimes I know coaches will allow flexibility for some of the players that may not live in the state.
Didn't they cut back coaches access to those a couple years ago.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
These posts are related. Thigpen was the hottest guy in the building at that point of the game but when he drew the defense to himself as time was expiring in OT he gave the ball up - to a freshman, no less.

Why I said it was his last option, he would have preferred to take it himself. It is what made him better. In crunch time, he cared more to win than to be a hero.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Didn't they cut back coaches access to those a couple years ago.
They certainly could've! I haven't been around AAU for a few years so the information I said could be a bit dated.

Help Support Us

Become a patron