Tamin Lipsey Commits

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Going to throw out another guard court- Thigpen and Bayless. 62 combined points in our tournament game against Kentucky.
Loved the group. One issue with thigpen was passing was a last option many times. Dude was a scorer and his first thought was putting it in the basket. It worked for him.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Loved the group. One issue with thigpen was passing was a last option many times. Dude was a scorer and his first thought was putting it in the basket. It worked for him.

He stands out to me due to the improvement from his freshman to senior year. I remember him throwing up a lot of bricks early (very flat trajectory), but he was a scoring machine his senior year.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Going to throw out another guard court- Thigpen and Bayless. 62 combined points in our tournament game against Kentucky.

Included on my original list. This is really the duo I'm most reminded of when looking at Hunter & Lipsey. Of course it's kind of silly, since I've only seen high school highlights! Similar body types, I guess.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Awesome get by the staff! Seems like a great young man. Hope the decision to quit football was his and there wasn't any pressure from the staff or other people in his ear.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Awesome get by the staff! Seems like a great young man. Hope the decision to quit football was his and there wasn't any pressure from the staff or other people in his ear.
He played last year - correct? So he's saying he won't play his Sr year ?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

If you have aspirations for a pro career between the two sports, I think basketball gives you a better chance at making money somewhere, with more longevity and less wear and tear. It's certainly the path that I would advise.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
If you have aspirations for a pro career between the two sports, I think basketball gives you a better chance at making money somewhere, with more longevity and less wear and tear. It's certainly the path that I would advise.
This. And once he made the decision to play basketball at the next level I think it makes sense to focus fully on that. It isn't like he'll just be sitting around twiddling his thumbs in the fall.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Great pick up! I will be glad when the trend of talking about exciting news being tied to referencing your erections is over. I am sure it is just a first sign of being “old,” but it is just plain weird and I personally see it as evidence of low intelligence. Carry on.

This take seems rather rigid...

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Great pick up! I will be glad when the trend of talking about exciting news being tied to referencing your erections is over. I am sure it is just a first sign of being “old,” but it is just plain weird and I personally see it as evidence of low intelligence. Carry on.

i am now flacid.

thanks alot boomer

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He stands out to me due to the improvement from his freshman to senior year. I remember him throwing up a lot of bricks early (very flat trajectory), but he was a scoring machine his senior year.
Honestly that's my thought with Ejim too.

• Agree

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006

and then 9 months later Bob Sura and Sam Cassell torched them so bad and showed us what a real backcourt looks like lol.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

Loved that group.... those were the first guys I remember watching as a kid. First game I ever went to with my dad was the ISU vs. #2 OSU (when they had big country). We were down by 18 at half and came back to win in OT. OSUs best free throw shooter missed two free throws with 3 seconds left and we won by 1. ISU shot like 89% in the second half... they asked Orr about it after the game, and said (something like), "I didn't know we missed a shot". Those were fun teams to watch.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
A new day has come, the excitement is not fading away.

IMO, to be a successful college basketball program, winning the battles on the court doesn’t count all of it. Captivating the heart of its fanbase is just as important because a loyal fanbase would go through the journey with the program together through high and low, thick and thin. TJ has experienced first-handed the glory period from Fred’s to early Prohm’s era and fully understood the key elements to building a successful program. One of them is we need the cornerstone players who not only are stars on the court by leading the team to the victories but also the loyal-to-the-core culture guys who possess extraordinary personality and charisma, who have grown to become idols of the entire fanbase, and who are admired by the other fanbases as well. They are not only basketball stars but great human beings who want to leave their legacy in the CyclONEnation and carry on the Cyclone tradition for the rest of their lives. Georges, Naz, Monte, Ejim, Haliburton, to name a few, are those cornerstones that led to our program’s success. On the contrary, in the late Prohm era, the lack of those culture leaders is one of the reasons that led to the program’s dark time.

Hopefully, Tamin Lipsey and Tyrese Hunter can become the new generation of the Cyclone legends who can lead our beloved MBB program back to glory in no time.

I’m ending this post with Georges’ positive reaction to Tamin Lipsey’s commitment.

Nice having NBA players commenting on your school's commits!

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Loved that group.... those were the first guys I remember watching as a kid. First game I ever went to with my dad was the ISU vs. #2 OSU (when they had big country). We were down by 18 at half and came back to win in OT. OSUs best free throw shooter missed two free throws with 3 seconds left and we won by 1. ISU shot like 89% in the second half... they asked Orr about it after the game, and said (something like), "I didn't know we missed a shot". Those were fun teams to watch.

First game being a legendary one is nice.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Making money somewhere, you are probably right, but making a go of it in either the NFL or NBA, I'd argue the opposite in a lot of cases, especially for someone of his size. Right now, there are 1,696 players in the NFL as compared to 529 in the NBA. The NFL draft each year has 7 rounds with 255 total picks of players getting contracts, which compares to the NBA with 2 rounds and 60 total picks, with only half of those actually getting guaranteed contracts. Also, of NBA players, how many of them are only 6' 2"? There definitely are some, but there are a TON more at that size in the NFL.

In fact, I had this EXACT conversation with the mom of my neighbor kid current ISU 2023 offer for football Alex Mota. Alex is a stud in both basketball and football, but she was the one telling me he is leaning towards going football, as how many 6' 1" players are there in the NBA. Her words, not mine.

I get it I'm not factoring in the wear and tear on your body thing, as that is completely a big factor too. Its why if you do make the NBA, you likely have a better chance of sticking around longer. However, since players stick around longer, there is also less spots for newbies. NBA players tend to make more money as well. However, if we are just talking about trying to make it to the highest level of sports in the U.S., football is likely your better route to sip a cup of coffee in the league.

Last edited:

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Curious as to how the AAU circuit works. How many games do they typically play during the year/summer and how far do they go/travel? Are they sponsored?

In Tamin and Eli's case, on their team since they live apart, do they get together for days/weeks at a time in order to practice/play together? Then go home on occasion to see family? Sounds like it could be pretty grueling.

I'm 13 years removed from the AAU scene. It'll be awhile before the little guy could play AAU ball so I'm not a parent in that world either. All Iowa Attack was just getting it's legs with Harrison Barnes when I left. I'll have to punt this to someone else.

Reactions: t-noah