Tamin Lipsey Commits

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I love that Naz buzzer-beater as much as the rest of you.

But that clip reminds me of how the legend of that team was somewhat better than the reality.

If the team that year was really that good, then it should not have needed so many frantic comebacks and last-second victories, often against inferior foes, to win the games that it did.

Its advanced metrics are really no better, and sometimes worse, than the last four Fred teams along with the first, second, and fourth Prohm teams. But games and teams with memorable endings, like 3 OT games and last-second half-court prayers, stick in our mind much better than just a workmanlike five- or six-point win over a good Oklahoma State that we should have been able to handle at home.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
My wife and I were in the Fisher Theater during that OSU game watching our daughter perform in a show choir performance. You could actually feel the ground shake and hear the crowd when Naz hit those shots. You saw people taking out their cellphones to find out what just happened...unreal.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Was back when student tickets rotated throughout Hilton so you had some games w great seats and others that sucked. I had 2nd or 3rd row behind the OSU bench for that game. Was absolutely unbelievable how loud it was.

I was there w my son, who was a student at the time. He left at halftime, because he had a gig later and had to get the other guys and the equipment ready - to be back in time we would have to leave immediately after the game was over.

Well, then it goes OT, but there was no way in hell I was leaving early! We were late, but they managed to get set up in time.

Man I miss the excitement and joy of those teams. They were just so fun to watch, and damn good.

Reactions: Aclone and t-noah

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines

But that clip reminds me of how the legend of that team was somewhat better than the reality.

If the team that year was really that good, then it should not have needed so many frantic comebacks and last-second victories, often against inferior foes, to win the games that it did.

Its advanced metrics are really no better, and sometimes worse, than the last four Fred teams along with the first, second, and fourth Prohm teams. But games and teams with memorable endings, like 3 OT games and last-second half-court prayers, stick in our mind much better than just a workmanlike five- or six-point win over a good Oklahoma State that we should have been able to handle at home.
The team was gritty, tough as nails. They didn't quit, that's what made them legendary, not just close games. Splitting with one of the best KU teams in recent memory was significant. If Embiid didn't get injured Kansas was a final four team. The league was stacked back then.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
The story that came out afterward that he was talking at the free throw line that if he gets a chance to put up a 3 it is going in is part of what makes it legendary.
Used to be my signature. Something a long the line of he told Markel brown from osu, that if he gets one more chance to make a 3, he'll bet any amount of money that it goes in.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The team was gritty, tough as nails. They didn't quit, that's what made them legendary, not just close games. Splitting with one of the best KU teams in recent memory was significant. If Embiid didn't get injured Kansas was a final four team. The league was stacked back then.

They didn't split with KU. 0-2 in season.

Beat them in the B12 tourney with Embiid out.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Was at this game. It went from about 10 decibals as naz's shot went up to cant hear yourself scream in a split second

Love how they show it about 7 times! Gets better each time!
And the best one was the last one with no announcers, only the deafening crowd eruption!!!
The final shot of Naz making it, turning around, raising him arms is just an all time moment.
I couldn't resist watching it one more time (for today anyway). Incredible!
And Cy4Lifer, you're right, the last one was the best, no announcers, only the deafening crowd!

Here's the game summary!
ISU Uses A Little "Magic" In Win Over OSU, 85-81 - Iowa State University Athletics (cyclones.com)
I can't believe Naz was only a sophomore that year. He was sure building his legacy! Here's the game summary of the first OSU game that year in Stillwater. ISU Beats Oklahoma State in Triple OT Thriller - Iowa State University Athletics (cyclones.com)

• Love
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

How many frantic comebacks did they have? I know we had a lot in 2015, but that was 2014. Also, it's basketball. What teams don't have last-second victories and comebacks? It's the nature of the game. Why can't we just call it what it was, a 3 seed, Big 12 Tournament champion, and Sweet 16 team? There's no doubt we were on a roll until Niang's injury put us behind the 8 ball.

Bart Torvik isn't the end-all be-all of basketball. If you want to think the 2014 team is worse than Prohm's 9-9 team, have at it. Stat dorks outsmart themselves too often.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I couldn't resist watching it one more time (for today anyway). Incredible!
And Cy4Lifer, you're right, the last one was the best, no announcers, only the deafening crowd!

Here's the game summary!
ISU Uses A Little "Magic" In Win Over OSU, 85-81 - Iowa State University Athletics (cyclones.com)
I can't believe Naz was only a sophomore that year. He was sure building his legacy! Here's the game summary of the first OSU game that year in Stillwater. ISU Beats Oklahoma State in Triple OT Thriller - Iowa State University Athletics (cyclones.com)

The last replay is closest to doing it justice. I was on the floor. I've been to hundreds of games in Hilton. That was the most chaotic I've ever seen it. I don't know about volume, but the crowd absolutely lost its **** (hugging, high fives, screaming, it was the definition of pandemonium) when that went in just because of the circumstances. We played poorly most of the game, Forte, a 90% free throw shooter is at the line to seal it. It was an incredible moment and maybe the best I've seen as a fan.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

No shame in close games with that Okie St squad, they won 21 games, had one of the best players in the country in Smart plus Forte, Nash and Markel Brown. I'm pretty sure they were a preseason top 10 team and stayed there for the majority of the season.

I get what you're saying but it doesn't really apply to Okie St that season. Those were quality wins against a very talented squad.

Reactions: t-noah