Tyson Veidt To Cincinnati as DC

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Why? We can essentially only go up on that side. Which coach would be a loss on offense?

A slide in defense is possible and would mean needing a very goo offense. Yikes. We easily could be looking at no Veidt and Heacock in two years

Since I probably agree with the other poster, I'll give what I think is the opinion we likely share. The defense has been a model of consistency for several years, with the system and performance maintaining continuity and a high level of success. The thought is it will probably be easier to find and insert another coach into that spot without experiencing a drop off in success. In other words it's less about the coach than it is the capableness of those around him.

On offense we've struggled a lot more so I get why you'd feel that way, but short of hiring a brilliant coordinator, I'm not sure you'd want to lose those guys. We've had pretty good success at RB, QB, and TE. Our receivers, as a group, have been more inconsistent but they probably had their best year (as a collective) in a very long time. We also have a soon to be RS Soph QB so we definitely wouldn't prefer turnover there. Then there is the one positional group that's consistently been dog **** but oh, guess what, we just brought in a guy to fix that last year. I don't know about you, but I think Clanton needs at least 3 years to see what he could do.

Short of Heacock and a few other guys, I think we are better equipped to find and replace (good) coaches on that side of the ball. I certainly trust the system AND the coach's (Campbell and Heacock's) abilities to hire on that side.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
He's probably going to enjoy retirement for a bit first. His family will probably disown him if they don't take that Florida RV trip.
I don’t know why he would mess with taking a college job honestly but if that’s something he was interested in, you have to take a serious look at him and make him a priority.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Does anyone know if Mike Rose would be interested in getting into coaching? He always struck me as someone with a super high football IQ that would have a more successful coaching career than playing career.
He signed with the St. Louis XFL (or whatever it's called now) team so I think he believes he still has more in the tank.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Think he was one of our top recruiters and had the AZ area. That is going to hurt. Looking at our linebackers, I'm not concerned if he takes several with him. That was definitely the weakest part of our defense and rivaled our Oline for worst on the team.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
yep, and he knows our offense and defense very well. I hope when we play them again we are not stubborn and really change things up to keep them off balance. Meyers/Memphis seemed to have us well scouted.
CMC in known for adjusting and not being stubborn…said no one ever.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
yep, and he knows our offense and defense very well. I hope when we play them again we are not stubborn and really change things up to keep them off balance. Meyers/Memphis seemed to have us well scouted.
Well, in reality, I think everyone knows our offense really well, especially the run game, unless of course it's snowing like crazy. If we continue to run the same running schemes we do now, it won't matter who the DC is on the other team.

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
Jeremiah George is actually a linebackers coach at Texas. If a former player was going to take the job my money would be on him
Just because you are a great player, does not mean you will be a great coach. Look at MLB and more managers who succeed either only had minor league careers or were low performing MLB players. There are a few top performing MLB players who become good managers but not many. Same goes for football.

I would normally not take a former player with no coaching experience over someone that is currently a coach. So I would be interested in George over Rose or Klein. I would also look to a FCS coach who has produced all conference players over Rose or Klein. I would tell Rose or Klein to start coaching at FCS, D2 or D3 and see how they do before hiring them to be a position coach at ISU.

Reactions: MugNight

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron