UNL AD mentions interest in future games vs. ISU

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I hate the perverse incentives that the bowl and (current) playoff system creates in college football. The sport active works against interesting or intriguing or regional match-ups/conferences that would draw more eyeballs or put more butts in seats.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Anyone in here saying that State fans need to let this go, has no memory. Nebraska voted multiple times to not have equal profit sharing. They voted along with Texas to keep conference football money tied to the number of games broadcasted on TV. These votes directly took money out of our athletic department, and put the big 12 north schools at a disadvantage.

Then when NU started getting whipped in football, and wanted more money, they turned tail and ran. I'm not saying the big 12 is perfect right now, but if you think that Nebraska didn't directly create the problem, you are blind, deaf, and dumb. They deserve no sympathy, or forgiveness. Hell the grant of rights could cause the B12 to go belly up still, and it would almost certainly still be their fault.

clone34

Mar 29, 2009
I don't think we could schedule Nebraska with Iowa on the Schedule every year. I think it would be nice to bounce between playing Iowa and Nebraska every few years. Let some of the Hawkeye bad blood cool down and start up the Nebraska disdain again. As fans I usually have better longer conversations about football with Nebraska fans than Iowa fans. Basketball we should absolutley play it would be a big upgrade over some of the really poor football teams a lot.

Nebraska is really missing the old big 8. Their closest away game is Iowa city. They used to be able to drive to ISU, Kansas, Kansas state and missouri and turn it into a home game. Nebraksa also used to be able to get the best players from all of those states. Missouri started getting better first and the recruiting for Nebraska started to dry up in Missouri and kansas and the team started to decline. I think the TV money will start slowing down and maybe go down. When this happens I think localizing and conference realignment for small revenue sports will begin. West Virginia s closest home game is Ames I am sure they are tired of paying travel and hotel for the tennis, softball, soccer, swimming and whatever other sports. It isn't sustainable.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The responses to this simply reinforce the fact that it would be a lot of fun to get that game back.

No one gives a damn about Akron, UNI, whatever dump FCS program takes up a weekend, etc. Everyone would care about the program getting another crack at ******* Nebraska.

It’d be fun... but bowls are more fun.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It’d be fun... but bowls are more fun.

While I do not disagree with you about the incentives for an individual program, this mentality of "avoid interesting regional games with a full home stadium from both fan bases so you can play a meaningless exhibition in an empty stadium against the Indiana University-Purdue University-Shipshewana Barnbuilders 2,000 miles from home" makes me throw up a little.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Iowa State
unhappy-iowa-state-fan-college-basketball-fan-gifs.gif

Kansas State
foff.gif

OU

RegularTallIndianglassfish-max-1mb.gif

Kansas:
bill-self-are-you-kidding-me.gif

OK State:
MichaelCobbinsOKStateOpenMouthStare.gif

Is there somewhere to nominate Post of the Year 2018 candidates?

• Agree
Reactions: weR138

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
If I wanna watch some two bit wanna be school full of delusional fans regarding their place in college football I play a game i'll call up lakesbison and see if I can join his tailgate.

I don't want to see ISU do anything Nebraska wants ever again. They should not be forgiven for nearly destroying the Big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21 and aauummm

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
If ISU has already played and beat the rest of the Big 10 West and just needs to beat Nebraska to complete the full sweep...no thanks.

MnBrPg

Dec 15, 2015
Kansas City
Where was Iowa State going to go? The B1G already has TV rights in Iowa. Iowa State didn't have a leg to stand on!
Do tell.

For decades UNL built their records on the backs of fellow Big 8 members. And then they secretly joined the B1G. If the other point of view is "aw shucks, it's just business" well **** that. Osborne knew what position he was putting ISU into.

But go ahead and blame ISU for not being ready for the earthquake no one saw coming.

Your abrasive attitude is making this more difficult than it needs to be. I don't get why people can't have normal conversations here. This is why the college football subreddit is far superior to these ecochamber fan sites.

I didn't blame ISU for a single thing. I pointed out that teams were shopping. Furthermore, there wasn't a ton of confidence in the Big 12 leadership under Dan Bebe. Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas State, and I think Oklahoma State (Can't remember if they are legally tied with OU) all faced an uncertain future if the B12 collapsed. Nothing in that blames ISU for anything. I was saying I don't blame other schools for leaving and securing their futures. At some point it does come to that.

Please try not to take anything else out of context, but if you do I'm not going to be here to stop you. I love talking ISU atheltics, but I can only take these forums for so long.

Have a good Thursday, Go Clones!

• Winner
Reactions: clone34

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Your abrasive attitude is making this more difficult than it needs to be. I don't get why people can't have normal conversations here. This is why the college football subreddit is far superior to these ecochamber fan sites.

I didn't blame ISU for a single thing. I pointed out that teams were shopping. Furthermore, there wasn't a ton of confidence in the Big 12 leadership under Dan Bebe. Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas State, and I think Oklahoma State (Can't remember if they are legally tied with OU) all faced an uncertain future if the B12 collapsed. Nothing in that blames ISU for anything. I was saying I don't blame other schools for leaving and securing their futures. At some point it does come to that.

Please try not to take anything else out of context, but if you do I'm not going to be here to stop you. I love talking ISU atheltics, but I can only take these forums for so long.

Have a good Thursday, Go Clones!

Nebraska was never at risk of being left out, they wouldn't have gotten a Big 10 invite if they were at that level. ISU, KSU, OSU, and Baylor are the ones that were in jeopardy. With ISU and KSU looking to be in the worst spot. And Nebby was a big cause of a lot of the issues causing the instability in the first place. You seem really intent on revising history here to make the huskers look better.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

False premise is false.

As if some nefarious force from a comic book or something was pulling the conference apart...

Dan Beebe was employed by the Big 12 not the other way around. At some point the teams had the power to stop realignment but Nebraska decided to open the flood gates. That's the opposite of the leadership I'd expect from a program with such a "storied tradition". Nebraska fans will quickly put themselves in the same category as Michigan. Michigan would never **** over Iowa, or IU, or PU that way. They'd never do tOSU that way. Nebraska had zero problems leaving OU in the lurch.

Those other schools future would be secured just fine had UNL not left. No amount of double-talk will change the fact that Nebraska leaving created the uncertainty that ISU continues to face today. Again, UNL left voluntarily in one of the biggest p*ssy moves in CFB history.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
Isn't it sweet that NE is stuck in mediocre conference division and the Big 12 has a long memory of how NE treated its former home for generations? This should be a lesson for schools who think that life in another conference will deliver the accolades, status and cash they think they deserve.

After this mess, I'm even more convinced that ISU will be a leader in the next round of realignment and that we will be an example of how to do things the right way. I have great hope for the future of ISU athletics.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
While I do not disagree with you about the incentives for an individual program, this mentality of "avoid interesting regional games with a full home stadium from both fan bases so you can play a meaningless exhibition in an empty stadium against the Indiana University-Purdue University-Shipshewana Barnbuilders 2,000 miles from home" makes me throw up a little.

Someone wasn't in Memphis...

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Nebraska is really missing the old big 8. Their closest away game is Iowa city. They used to be able to drive to ISU, Kansas, Kansas state and missouri and turn it into a home game. Nebraksa also used to be able to get the best players from all of those states.

Edit: I need to remember to not try to post while on mobile...

I think this is correct. NU is reeling. One of the nicest things "local" P5 programs could do would be to give them driveable away games to help give them a bigger Midwest presence to help energize and maybe grow their fan-base as they try to claw their way back to relevance.

Enjoy your games with Rutgers and Maryland, NU. You earned it.

Last edited:

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
False premise is false.

As if some nefarious force from a comic book or something was pulling the conference apart...

Dan Beebe was employed by the Big 12 not the other way around. At some point the teams had the power to stop realignment but Nebraska decided to open the flood gates. That's the opposite of the leadership I'd expect from a program with such a "storied tradition". Nebraska fans will quickly put themselves in the same category as Michigan. Michigan would never **** over Iowa, or IU, or PU that way. They'd never do tOSU that way. Nebraska had zero problems leaving OU in the lurch.

Those other schools future would be secured just fine had UNL not left. No amount of double-talk will change the fact that Nebraska leaving created the uncertainty that ISU continues to face today. Again, UNL left voluntarily in one of the biggest p*ssy moves in CFB history.

Overall I agree with your take on Nebby, however remember that Missouri's open campaigning for the B1G and didn't they do a premature announcement about it started the instability causing Nebby to bail.

Of course Nebby, OU, UT, and Tammy also created that instability with unequal revenue sharing and turning down the conference channel.