Vaccine reactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I get this. But people get sick. Is it any different than getting a bad cold or stomach flu?

I'm curious how any boosters will work, or what we'll learn with a lot of vaccinated people.

One of the arguments for the annual flu shot is that even if you get the flu, it'll prevent you from becoming seriously ill. Will the same thing bear true for Covid?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm curious how any boosters will work, or what we'll learn with a lot of vaccinated people.

One of the arguments for the annual flu shot is that even if you get the flu, it'll prevent you from becoming seriously ill. Will the same thing bear true for Covid?

that’s basically what the vaccine does now. It prevents really bad cases of covid.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
that’s basically what the vaccine does now. It prevents really bad cases of covid.

Hopefully that keeps up with any future variants. It could end up being like the flu where they identify which strain they're most concerned about and make the vaccine based off of that.

Reactions: BCClone

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com

Yeah, like jsb said, all the reporting on vaccine efficacy indicates not only do they greatly reduce the chance of getting infected, they also greatly reduce the symptoms if you are unlucky enough to catch the virus. At least one of them (I think J&J, I can't remember for sure) actually said it had a 100% effective rate of preventing "serious" illness for those who did get infected with COVID-19.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
This is not on thread topic. Don't feed the troll. He should take his thread derail to the cave if he wants to learn something.
I'll start a new thread that's fine. I'm not trying to troll though, just trying to find an explanation to a question no one has ever answered. Guess I wont find one here either.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah, like jsb said, all the reporting on vaccine efficacy indicates not only do they greatly reduce the chance of getting infected, they also greatly reduce the symptoms if you are unlucky enough to catch the virus. At least one of them (I think J&J, I can't remember for sure) actually said it had a 100% effective rate of preventing "serious" illness for those who did get infected with COVID-19.

I believe even dose 1 of Moderna/Pfizer has some of that protection which is why the % of vaccinated nationwide always includes fully vaccinated and 1 dose.

Reactions: carvers4math

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Completely agree. There will still be cases of covid, but vaccinations can help reduce serious illness, hospitalizations and deaths from Covid.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Hopefully that keeps up with any future variants. It could end up being like the flu where they identify which strain they're most concerned about and make the vaccine based off of that.

A much higher % of people are going to get this than get flu shots.

So I'm curious if that will help any kind of annual reoccurrence. If 80% of the country got a flu shot, would the next few years of flu season have less flu just from that massive amount of flu shots, or does it not matter and each year is a new start? (I just have no idea but curious)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Completely agree. There will still be cases of covid, but vaccinations can help reduce serious illness, hospitalizations and deaths from Covid.

I assume that means a higher % of those won't even be known or reported. Even before the vaccine there were lots of cases where people fought off covid and didn't even realize it.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
A much higher % of people are going to get this than get flu shots.

So I'm curious if that will help any kind of annual reoccurrence. If 80% of the country got a flu shot, would the next few years of flu season have less flu just from that massive amount of flu shots, or does it not matter and each year is a new start? (I just have no idea but curious)
The longevity is one question now. Will it be needed annual? Every 5 years? Or one and done?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The longevity is one question now. Will it be needed annual? Every 5 years? Or one and done?

I would imagine just by studying worldwide they could find out in a few years.

If some country that had a massive % of vaccinations stays mostly covid free but countries with low % of 2021 vaccination continue to have flair ups I'd say that alone is some obvious proof from a non scientific observer.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I get this. But people get sick. Is it any different than getting a bad cold or stomach flu?

As people make choices about third and future vaccinations, they're going to weigh their experiences from their first and second shots.

Obviously there are a lot of unanswered questions about future boosters. Will they be required annually? If so, will side effects decrease as people's bodies get used to them? One story I read about third Pfizer shots suggested a 10-20x increase in antibody response, so does that mean a corresponding increase in side effects? If you don't like your side effects from one brand, can you switch?

It's not hard to imagine people who reacted poorly to earlier shots deciding they don't want to experience that every year. But that also seems like a worst-case scenario too, and there are lots of things that could prevent that from happening.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Well here is something, already a month old, but high up in the google responses lol.
<https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.16.21253767v1>

"The Elderly had a 95% lower death rate from December to March; however, and no change in the death rate in other age groups. The Hospitalization rate was reduced by 80% in this study cohort for people aged 80 or older, while people who were between 50 to 70 had almost the same hospitalization rate. "

Without digging deeper, that is all good news wrt "it works".

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I got my second Moderna shot yesterday at 10 am.

All good initially, went to bed at 10, woke up at midnight with the worst chills I've ever had. Literally bone chilling. Put on enough layers that it looked like I was going to shovel in minus degree weather.

Didn't sleep well and shivered all night. Today I'm not as cold, but extremely tired, which I think is more the bad nights sleep than a reaction.

Glad it happened midweek and I didn't waste a Saturday at least.

• Friendly
Reactions: Peter

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
My second shot is supposed to be on Thursday the 29th. I am considering just taking that Friday off based on people's reactions on their second shot.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

It's just too early to tell. By any standard, there isn't anyone who has had the shot more than about 6 months. The research shows they are holding immunity. But to go beyond that is pure speculation until we get some people out there and can challenge them with COVID and find out.

Most researchers believe that given the makeup of the virus, it is fairly easy to mutate and the normal evolutionary progression for coronaviruses as they mutate is to become more transmissible but less dangerous over time. This has already been recognized in the COVID variants most prevalent in the USA right now. So it is possible that in a few years, the need to vaccinate decreases as the virus weakens to what is essentially another common cold virus.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Peter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron