Vaccine reactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We've completely lost our ability to assess risk as a society. 7 adverse reactions in 6.9 million doses is MUCH less than the impact of not vaccinating that many people. Especially if everyone that has shown reactions are women, just start giving it to men only and flip the appointments to the others for women.

And communicating risk. Just today there's an analysis that shows a confirmed .007% of folks having Covid out of something like 77 million doses given so far. That's great news.

But of course, the headlines/up front information from some sources: '5,670 (or whatever it was) people got Covid after vaccination anyway'.

Yes, that's the number but how about not making it sound worse?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree, I guess I'm part of the problem for changing my J&J appointment but I was able to get in 3 days sooner with new Moderna appointment and my wife's Moderna appointment was 50 miles closer than her J&J was going to be (maybe 4 hour drive total). People in LA metro have been driving to Bakersfield because you didn't have to be under 50 there the past few weeks, today is actually the day under 50 is all clear here.

My hope is that they study it for a few weeks and get it back out there. It really doesn't seem to pose that big a risk compared to the other two vaccines without even getting into the obvious comparisons you are alluding to...namely actually having covid.

I actually don't blame anybody for being concerned about it. I rarely take shots at the media (I was a journalism major for a while) but the reporting around the vaccine has been much too complicated. Tell people - hey, there is a minor risk of blood clots but if all of the people who did get this J&J shot didn't get it, there would be a lot more deaths and serious hospital entries. That's just the facts.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I actually don't blame anybody for being concerned about it. I rarely take shots at the media (I was a journalism major for a while) but the reporting around the vaccine has been much too complicated. Tell people - hey, there is a minor risk of blood clots but if all of the people who didn't get this J&J shot didn't get it, there would be a lot more deaths and serious hospital entries. That's just the facts.

Like, basic journalism.

Headline: General theme: 'Minor risk in blood clots discovered in J&J shots'

Subheading: important details '6 cases out of 7.6 million doses confirmed, pause taken to study further'.

Article: meat of details including how it's a pause to be transparent and cautious, not a halt, age range, etc.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Twitter thread on the issue with the J&J vaccine and why it is paused. It is much more complicated than most people have made it out to be. Bear in mind, "game over" for women in that age group might not mean game over for every demographic.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I appreciate the cost/benefit analysis of the vaccines everyone is doing now. Why wasn't that done with lock downs and school closings 12 months ago?

I'm not sure any of us can even comprehend what the hospitals and death rates would have looked like without the "shutdown". It was never about trying to eradicate the virus, it was 100% for buying time to figure out how to treat this thing.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm not sure any of us can even comprehend what the hospitals and death rates would have looked like without the "shutdown". It was never about trying to eradicate the virus, it was 100% for buying time to figure out how to treat this thing.
Yes we can. I was told not to have that argument here though. It doesn't matter either way. My point was that we took extremely destructive measures without knowing their negative, or positive effect.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
That combined with the 37% of adults having at least one dose is the most hopeful thing right now. Since nearly 10% of the total population had covid I would think we're in the ballpark of half of Americans having some sort of protection vs 0% 14 months ago.

I think it is likely closer to 30% than 10% of the US population has had it. I referenced an Economist study on that a few months ago where they thought it was 20-25% at that time, based on sero tests and asymptomatic cases. Then, plus the vaccinations on top.

We are soooo close to getting this down to the nuisance level and life back to normal. Just gotta hang tough another month or 2...

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I got my second dose of Moderna a few hours ago. I feel the Bill Gates chip beginning to take root. Is it too late to tell Bill and the other globalists that I am a Apple guy?

Uh oh! Virus in the system!

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Just curious. Hearing by some that if you do one shot of Moderna it will be about 80 percent effective. So basically even if you are afraid of what the second shot will do to ya, just one shot should help a lot. Am I wrong? I am getting the second shot but not looking forward to it at all.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Just curious. Hearing by some that if you do one shot of Moderna it will be about 80 percent effective. So basically even if you are afraid of what the second shot will do to ya, just one shot should help a lot. Am I wrong? I am getting the second shot but not looking forward to it at all.

That's actually how Canada is doing it - everybody gets one shot before the second to get the overall vaccinated rate up. That said it hasn't exactly gone swimmingly.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That combined with the 37% of adults having at least one dose is the most hopeful thing right now. Since nearly 10% of the total population had covid I would think we're in the ballpark of half of Americans having some sort of protection vs 0% 14 months ago.

CDC even estimated we were missing 1 in 4 cases or something last fall so 120 millionish by now Issue being it's hard to just combine or pair up the two populations and getting at least one shot/booster is still probably a good bet.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

seriously you will be fine. Have you never been sick before? This will be way better because it doesn’t last as long. As I keep saying, we do this with our kids when they get vaccinated. They feel like crap for a day and then they are fine. One assumes you are as tough as an 8 month old!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's actually how Canada is doing it - everybody gets one shot before the second to get the overall vaccinated rate up. That said it hasn't exactly gone swimmingly.

Pretty sure UK was also doing so even with AZ and they've got a whole bunch of people covered.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

They're not doing it because they think it's a good idea. They're doing it because they don't have a steady supply of vaccine since they don't have the ability to produce the vaccine there.

We should not do this.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I just got my second vaccine of Pfizer at UIC here in Chicago. Today there were hundreds more people in line to get the shot, I assume 1st timers, which is great.

Now to see if this thing knocks me on my ass or not.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
Got dose 2 of moderna at 3pm yesterday, Felt fine in the evening and slept well minus a few turns onto the sore shoulder. Woke up and got ready for work and after about 20 minutes of moving around could tell I had a fever and had body aches. Took ibuprofen and went back to sleep for 2 more hours. Have felt better but still achey.
Chills rolled in at about 10:30, took some more ibuprofen @ 1. was hoping to get a run in this afternoon but perhaps not today. sipping the electrolytes whilst WFH. Fully expect to sleep like a baby and be good to go in the morning...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah the anticipation is weird...I mentioned earlier in the thread that it's weird that I was a little worried about the 2nd shot but I've volunteered to make myself feel way worse several times a week for years with beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.